Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very used to the AR15 platform, being former military...but they may be a little above the price range I'm looking at. I'm looking for something I can enjoy at the range, possibly hunt with on occasion, and it's always nice to find something that'll work well if SHTF. I saw a lot of suggestions for SKS and from what I read, the round is considered similar to a 30-30 for hunting...I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions at what to look at. While the SKS is probably the most inexpensive option I've seen thus far, it's not the top end of my price range...probably something around $800-$1k tops.

Right now I'm just doing the research and thoughts on it...I'd love to hear suggestions along with reliability and modularity, primarily optics (a rail system would be nice), but ease/availability of other mods are being muled over as well.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Remington 7400 or 7600 around $800...I have older 740 760 models...The only thing you need to make sure is keep the action clean they used to be prone to jamming if they got to dirty or got debris in them from hunting...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You could easily build a nice AR and still come in under your $800-1000 cap. Easily.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could easily build a nice AR and still come in under your $800-1000 cap. Easily.
Looking at the cheapest parts on Gunbroker for upper and lower receivers got me to about $700+shipping...sound about right?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
well if your willing to pay 1k choice for me would be simple, the FAL.

you can get a built enterprise at atlantic arms for $869 built with imbel parts.

you can get a DSA stg58 for around $1050 if you can find one in stock

you can order an imbel kit with new barell for $250 and get a DSA receicer for $350 and build your own if you are so inclined.

if your interested ill post up links to those mentioned products.

sks is not a bad gun it is way under rated, i have had one since i was a kid, about 14 years now, its a norinco (chinese).

yes you are right the balistics are very similar to 30-30.

·
Registered
29,590 Posts
If you like the AR platform, for 800-1000, there are plenty of good rifles out there. Around here, a new Armalite, Bushmaster or DPMS will run just over $800.

Also in that range, you can probably find a basic PTR-91; good rifle in .308.

But, when it comes to accessorizing, the AR is the current king.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Im really not into ARs at all because of my Military background lol, unless it has a gas piston. If you are going to spend that much money get an M1A or an FAL.

If you are looking for a reliable, fun to shoot, ranch rifle, for a cheaper price look into the Ruger Ranch Rifle lol, the Mini 14. Its a little work horse!!! Mine has killed coyote, deer, and varmints of all kinds. It has also thrown thousands of rounds at the range.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you are looking for a reliable, fun to shoot, ranch rifle, for a cheaper price look into the Ruger Ranch Rifle lol, the Mini 14. Its a little work horse!!! Mine has killed coyote, deer, and varmints of all kinds. It has also thrown thousands of rounds at the range.
Might have taken thousands of rounds to hit a coyote, deer and varmints! :)

The Mini14's are notoriously inaccurate rifles. You are not likely to achieve less than 3MOA groups with the Mini...especially after the barrel heats up after a magazine or two. The new Target version with the heavy barrel and harmonic dampener is supposed to be 1 MOA capable and there is a good video on youtube of a test fire of that rifle that shows a lot of promise with some tuning of the dampener and ammo. If you go the Mini route...I would recommend the target model. They are certainly workhorses in terms of function/reliability. You can get the Target model for around $750, which includes scope rings and add a scope for the rest of your $1K budget.

If you are a fan of the AK variants...check out Arsenal Arms. I picked up an SLR-106FR (.223 AK, folding stock, etc.) for $725 a while back. It is the most accurate AK I have ever had in my hands. With the standard open sights, I was able to hold 2MOA groups at 100yds with XM193. With an ANVS 8x scope mounted on the rifle, and shooting Hornady 75gr TAP and BH 69gr and 75gr blue box, I was able to achieve groups of right at 1MOA at 100yds. The rifle has a 1:7 twist barrel, so it loves the 69-75gr bullets, but eats up the 55gr stuff well too. For $725 for the rifle, and $175 for the scope, you are still in for under your max of $1K. Good enough accuracy for targets, hunting (with 5-round mags...see pic below), and certainly an ideal SHTF rifle!

Here is a pic of my SLR-106FR without my scope mounted:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I never had any issues with my mini 14 concerning accuracy. Yeah I agree its not the most accurate, but it is definatly accurate enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You could also go with a Saiga:

7.62x39
12ga

There may be more variants I don't know about but a nice, reliable, quality rifle. It can be kept in the "sporter" configuration or could always have a pistol grip conversion done to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A few years back,the Mini-14 was the "poor man's AR" because they ran half the price. The price on the Mini has gone way up in the last 2 years and surpasses the price on a lot of the ARs.

A new Mini-14 will run about $600-$700 and your talking about a Rifle that comes with a 5 round magazine,no flash hider,no rails,limited aftermarket accessories & inadequate accuracy.Ruger has made the 20 Round mags a little easier to get,but they are still expensive and your talking 20 rounders vs 30 for the AR.

A new Mini-14 was $657 at my local WallyWorld.I bought a S&W M&P 15 for $799 with a $100 rebate from S&W,so $699 was my cost.20 round Mini mags were $50 a piece compared to $12 for Mil Spec 30 round AR mags. Just doesn't make much sense to get a Mini-14 anymore.

Gas Piston vs Direct Impingment........ Not much of an issue for most people.I wouldn't base a decision solely on that by any means.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Get a Del Ton 7.62X39 AR15 build. Just specify an extra strength hammer spring and an MGI bolt and firing pin which has no problems with Com Bloc hard primers.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Gas Piston vs Direct Impingment........ Not much of an issue for most people.I wouldn't base a decision solely on that by any means.
I was speaking for Military background. Its gas system was its major flaw besides the design itself. I wasnt speaking for most people, most people will not bring their AR into harsh conditions, nor will they ever bring it into combat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts