Springfield XD Forum banner

Do you take into account what you spent or invested when you set the price?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you list something for sale or list something at auction, do you take into account what you have into the item when you price it or sell it?

I'm just curious say you have a brand new rifle, do you try to get as close to if not the same as what you paid for it?
I was questioned when I detailed how much I had into a package I was selling as they didn't care what it cost me just what they could buy it for. They took exception to me listing what the items cost, like I was scamming them or something.
I mean isn't thats why there is reserves and such on auctions, so the seller can keep the item if it doesn't approach what they need to get out of the sale? Just a passing thought.

Just curious how others price their item if it's just more than a firearm that your selling.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
When you list something for sale or list something at auction, do you take into account what you have into the item when you price it or sell it?

I'm just curious say you have a brand new rifle, do you try to get as close to if not the same as what you paid for it?
I was questioned when I detailed how much I had into a package I was selling as they didn't care what it cost me just what they could buy it for. They took exception to me listing what the items cost, like I was scamming them or something.
I mean isn't thats why there is reserves and such on auctions, so the seller can keep the item if it doesn't approach what they need to get out of the sale? Just a passing thought.

Just curious how others price their item if it's just more than a firearm that your selling.
If its used, take into account the wear on the item. If its brand new in box, i'd at least try and recoup my cost. If its been customized, then i'd balance the difference between wear and tear on the rifle and the parts put into it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its used, take into account the wear on the item. If its brand new in box, i'd at least try and recoup my cost. If its been customized, then i'd balance the difference between wear and tear on the rifle and the parts put into it.

That's all I was trying to do and got insulted like I was being dishonest for giving them a breakdown of what I paid. I was just trying to show them what type of money I was discounting everything. I guess I must have posted two different numbers of the total as I was pricing it in my head on the fly and they took it as I as being dishonest. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That's all I was trying to do and got insulted like I was being dishonest for giving them a breakdown of what I paid. I was just trying to show them what type of money I was discounting everything. I guess I must have posted two different numbers of the total as I was pricing it in my head on the fly and they took it as I as being dishonest. Oh well.
You have a product you want to sell at a price you are willing to sell it for. It is that simple. If they don't want to pay your price, they should just move along. If your asking price is to high, the market will eventually teach you that and you'll lower your price. Simple Econ 101.

I agree with everything posted so far. If listing the "value" of everything in a gun in relation to the asking price is wrong, someone should tell Taurus that they are "insulting" a lot of people with their 1911 ads. ;)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
You have a product you want to sell at a price you are willing to sell it for. It is that simple. If they don't want to pay your price, they should just move along. If your asking price is to high, the market will eventually teach you that and you'll lower your price. Simple Econ 101.
I could not agree more with this statement!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
the market sets the price not what you have in the item

sure you can use the amount in as a guide but i have a rifle given to me by my father and the fact that i have zero dollars in it have no influence on its value

just as if you over pay for an item its still only worth what someone else will pay for it

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I agree with everything posted so far. If listing the "value" of everything in a gun in relation to the asking price is wrong, someone should tell Taurus that they are "insulting" a lot of people with their 1911 ads. ;)
If they don't want to pay your price they should offer you what they think is a fair price.

If you refuse their price then they should move on.

You can list what you paid for an item, but be realistic, a used gun is not worth what you paid for it. Most accessories such as sights, holsters, extended controls, guide rods, ect... add very little to the value of a gun.

The 3 exceptions are quality optics, spare magazines and tritium night sights.

Here's a great example from another forum.

I have a 3rd gen Glock 22 .40 in 98% condition. I just picked this up, but turns out I am not much for .40 cal. I will stick with my 9mm guns.

This Glock has had the slide polished to a satin bead blast type finish, has chrome pins and slide release, and has had the trigger replaced with a light pull trigger ( I dont know which kit, but it is a complete replacement trigger kit). Comes with a Glock hard case, cable lock, and 1-15 round mag. All the numbers match on the gun.

Looking for $570 or best "reasonable" offer.
This gun has had some custom finish work on the slide and a trigger kit. The buyer obviously just bought it and wants to get their money back out of it.

But they aren't going to get their money back out of it. That's a $450 gun max, probably less because it's only got 1 magazine. I personally would only pay $400 for it. The refinished slide, trigger kit and chromed trigger pins add nothing to the value of the gun.

Realistically a used gun is worth about 30% less than a new one and most accessories are worth 1/2 their new cost at most.

In the end your gun is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, no matter what you payed for it or what you think it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts