Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Cabela's this last Sunday and was hanging out at the pistol counter because my brother is looking for a new carry gun. Somehow, conversation with the sales guy went from Kahr CW9 and PM9 to Kimber. He brought what I think was an Ultra Raptor II Stainless. I handled it some, dry fired it some, handled it some more... "wow" I thought, I like this.

Now, I've been mulling things around in my head even before the visit to Cabela's. I've been thinking of replacing (yes replacing, I don't seem to have infinite funds for guns) my XD9sc for a single stack something. Handling two Kimbers got me looking at them, as well as Springfields and Colts. It seems to me that a 4" or 3" 1911 would be fine for carry and maybe even more concealable than my current setup, possibly even more comfortable?

Having never carried a 1911 can I expect it to conceal equal to or better than my XD9sc (in supertuck)? Am I way out of my depth here, seeing as how I've never fired a 1911 pistol?

Any and all feedback would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
My XD9sc sits in the safe a lot since I got my Kimber Ultra Carry a couple of years ago. The Ultra hides very well in a D. M. Bullard Dual Carry holster and never even know I have it on. Much easier to conceal and carries better than the XD9sc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My XD9sc sits in the safe a lot since I got my Kimber Ultra Carry a couple of years ago. The Ultra hides very well in a D. M. Bullard Dual Carry holster and never even know I have it on. Much easier to conceal and carries better than the XD9sc.
Do you find yourself carrying OWB or IWB? Do you feel you sacrifice anything by the lesser round capacity?

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Once you shoot a 1911 you'll never go back. I'm considering selling all my polymer pistols to fund my 1911 addiction.

I wouldn't jump at the first one you see. Do your research on manufacturers. 1911s are a bit more finicky in there initial 500 round break in period. Also look at manufacturer reputation and warranty. (I'm hinting about Kimber here if you didn't catch that)

What's your price range?

I think the single stack 1911s conceal much better than my XDsc. I carry an EMP during the warmer months and one of the 5" 1911s during the cooler months.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sold my XD45 Service and kept my Kimber Stainless II. The 1911s of any size can be pretty easy to conceal with the right belt and holster. Remember to dress around the gun.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Sell XD9sc To Fund a Kimber?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I got into 1911s about a year ago and I found them much easier to carry.
Although you might lose a little mag capacity, the thinner pistol is much easier to carry.
BTW, shot placement over rides capacity..;)

I carried a Kimber CDP Ultra before buying an EMP.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I now own 3 1911s and love to shoot them. That being said if I could only take 1 handgun of my collection of arms I would take my XD and thats over even my glocks.

And heres why... since I have been shooting 1911s I have been having problems with 1911s. Sear spring this, hammer that... it goes on and on. The 1911 while great for pro vs shooting and marksmanship competitions the 1911 is a out dated system. Like I said I own 3 of them and greatly enjoy shooting them often. But there are just to many common things that go wrong with them vs a XD or a glock type system. And anyone that argues that is pig headed and 1911s can do no wrong, or just have no knowledge with other weapon systems. That being said, I love 1911s and you should buy one. But if you are replacing a carry system, or your main go to deference weapon, I would say keep the XD.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I should also say this..
My first xd now has over 11,000+ rounds down the pipe and besides the 3 bad primers I have never had an issue, never replaced a part, and would pick up that weapon every time over my 1911s to defend my life.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I've owned and sold 4 XD pistols..

My current carry of choice is one of 2 1911s or I pocket carry the LCP in the heat of summer.

But I'd carry my G19 over any of the XD pistols I once owned.
Including this XD9sc.
Even after spending the money to have it Hard Chromed, the sloppy spongy trigger is why I sold it..:(

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
sell a polymer striker to get a steel SA auto absoluetely.

Sell anything for a nice paint job and craptastic quality control not on my life. I hate Kimber. Granted I've been shot by one I might be jaded but look at this link.

So many better 1911s to choose from.

I don't know enough about 3 and 4 inch 1911s to suggest too many models, but I will say I wouldn' be getting a 3" for a first 1911 too high a chance of it not working, 4" sure I'd say 4.25 personally, just more support for that size. I would want a few features if I had the money bobbed, front strap checkered, no MIM in the firing control group and a smithed trigger. Either a semi custom gun or the trigger/sear/disco/hammer/sear spring are all coming out.

Personally I would never buy a schwartz safety but I think I would only buy titanium firing pins. (or put one in)

I'm going with a S&W E series with my smith replacing the firing control group, going through the gun with a micrometer to make sure its in spec, putting on tfos, melting the bottom 3/8 of the front serrations on the left of the slide so it doesn't drag on my thumb, he will shoot 100 rounds through it, and check for any metal shavings. Then I'll get home from afghanistan shoot 400 rds and start carrying it. I've done my research this is what I want. how I want it, and the day I land it will be in my hands.

Please do your research. Kimber is a high tolerance gun with low tolerance quality control, it might work, might not, if you only have the money to get 1 ccw gun kimber is not worth the gamble for you. Sure they are pretty but a better gun can be had for less money. a link to show I"m not just purely jaded. Out Of the Box - 1911Forum

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Research.
Everyone has their own opinions.
Every weapon has issues.
Kimbers are just as good as anything else out there, just depends on your experience.
I wouldn't sell the XD to get the Kimber, I'd save up for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If at all possible, keep the XD. I went away from plastic guns to 1911's then decided to get me an XD SC9 a 2-3 months ago. I rotate my carry weapons. I carry my XD, a Kimber Ultra Carry II, Kimber Pro Carry II, Dan Wesson CBOB and a Para Stainless C7.45.

My reasoning to get the SC was more rounds. I can carry it with 13 and then throw my 16 rounder in my pocket. Sometimes I may go somewhere where I feel I need more ammo. Most of the time I carry 2 extra mags on my belt when I carry a 1911. You won't have any problems concealing the 3-4" barrelled 1911's.

I might add, that my XDSC will probably be my only plastic gun.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Go for it!

I just ran another 500 rds throught my TLE II last week (on vacation) and was thinking "man....I'll never sell this thing!" while cleaning it up last night. Accurate and totally reliable.

That said, it does seem that Kimber has the reliability of the shorter 1911s down pretty well. There are a number of people I know and a number of people on this board that own and love their 4" and 3" Kimbers. They do seem to have the shorter 1911 down pretty well.

I think you might find the "commander" length 1911 to be easier to hide than an XD compact. The flatness of the 1911 is the real draw....I find my Colt Combat Commander to be easy to hide....partly because of its flatness.

From the feedback of those I know, that own Kimber Pro Carrys....I doubt you will miss the XD, if you decide to trade.

I have been rocking a 5" TLE II for going on three years and love it. Zero malfunctions and very accurate.

Some will swear that Kimbers are no good, but I look at the Kimber, much like we do my wife's Saab.....we catch ourselves saying "I thought these things were supposed to suck?" (but they don't)

LOL

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you've never even fired a 1911, let alone have experience with or owned them, I'd recommend your first not be for carry right away. A compact 1911 is more likely to be unreliable despite what the "experts" say. Just because their weapon has been great for them doesn't mean it's not a common enough issue. I would recommend renting and firing one first as well. The recoil of a some of the compact 1911s turns some shooters off, especially those with dainty wrists. ;)

If you are hell bent on a 1911 for carry, I'd stick with Colt, preferably the Commander model. This will be your best bet for a carry weapon, although I still wouldn't trust it until I had at minimum 500 consecutive rounds fired without issue. My personal opinion based on experience and nothing more would be to avoid Kimber. It's too hit or miss with them and there are several better options from better companies.

Finally, my honest recommendation would be to keep your XD and save for your 1911. This will not only give you more guns, but also a chance to trust your new 1911 before you start carrying it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input. The XDsc sits in the nightstand during the summer, I just can't conceal it well enough with shorts and a t-shirt. I carry a Sig P238 when I'm wearing shorts and thought perhaps a 1911 3" or 4" would conceal just as well for summer carry.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for all the input. The XDsc sits in the nightstand during the summer, I just can't conceal it well enough with shorts and a t-shirt. I carry a Sig P238 when I'm wearing shorts and thought perhaps a 1911 3" or 4" would conceal just as well for summer carry.
An officer/commander sized 1911 will carry very well, and for that matter so will a government sized. I say go for it. Get one you like, in a size that's comfortable to you. Shoot the piss out of it until you would trust it to go bang without hesitation, and then use it as a carry pistol. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts