Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at selling my xdm 3.8 (full length frame) in 9mm and buying a xds 4.0 in 9. I have had the xdm for 3 years, have changed the sights to adjustable, changed the trigger, and shot it upwards of 6k times. It just doesn't fit. I don't have big hands and I think the double stack wish is my problem. I bought a 1911 in February, shot it 500 or so times, and shoot circles around my xdm. The biggest place I notice it is my ability to draw, acquire target, and shoot accurately with the xdm.

I have held the xds, but only a .45 and the 3.3. Right now the money is there so I may end up buying one if I see it and making the decision then. Then xdm was my first pistol and the more I shoot the more I realize it just doesn't fit. I figure the resale on the xdm would be 425-450. I would replace the stock trigger, but supply the spare parts.

So in the end, what are your thoughts in the xds 4.0 in 9mm? My xdm is flawless through 6k but I could shoot it better if I mounted it on my hood...

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have 3.8 XDM in 9mm and 45acp. Love them, had the 40cal, but did not like the 40cal.I have small hands also . I have XDs 9/45acp 3.8 Handled the 4.0 9mm. I like it a lot. Maybe the 4.0 45acp will be out this summer.
4.0 is slightly muzzle heavy with 7 rnd mag not with 9 rnd IMO. If you can't make the 3.8 9mm work, I say YES trade it for a 4.0. Good Luck

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
The XDsc might be another option to consider. The "m" has a wider frame made around the larger 40sw round. the earlier non"m"s were designed around the 9mm when optimizing for double stack mag well width. There are other slim double stacks out there as well.

The above is all if you really want a double stack. Personally, I'll be looking for a small single stack if I ever go shopping for a dedicated CC pistol.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I haven't rented one yet, but it SEEMS like the XD-S4 would be a great Single-Stack XD9 Service/XDMc9 alternative.
The thing is... There are a LOT of people who post 'I wish I had my [Fill in the Blank] back' threads, so Before you make a trade, then wish you had your XDM back, PLEASE try to find an XD-S4 to try (rent/Borrow/whatever) and see how it works for you.

For many, the XD-S makes for a great compromise between the XDM and XD-S3.3, but only you can tell how well it shoots in YOUR hands.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am in the same boat, only difference is I am looking to selling the 4.5" XDM in .40. Like you, I dont shoot it very well and I dont know if is the caliber or what because the gun functions flawlessly, just not real accurate with it. I am strongly entertaining the idea of getting the XDS for a new carry piece. I look forward what the forum recommends for you.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I recently sold my xdm 3.8 compact 9mm and got the xds 3.3 in 45, was after the 9mm but got a deal that couldnt let it pass. I liked the xdm no complains but the xds is slimer, lighter, easier to conceal, couldn't be happier about the trade.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking at selling my xdm 3.8 (full length frame) in 9mm and buying a xds 4.0 in 9. I have had the xdm for 3 years, have changed the sights to adjustable, changed the trigger, and shot it upwards of 6k times. It just doesn't fit. I don't have big hands and I think the double stack wish is my problem. I bought a 1911 in February, shot it 500 or so times, and shoot circles around my xdm. The biggest place I notice it is my ability to draw, acquire target, and shoot accurately with the xdm.

I have held the xds, but only a .45 and the 3.3. Right now the money is there so I may end up buying one if I see it and making the decision then. Then xdm was my first pistol and the more I shoot the more I realize it just doesn't fit. I figure the resale on the xdm would be 425-450. I would replace the stock trigger, but supply the spare parts.

So in the end, what are your thoughts in the xds 4.0 in 9mm? My xdm is flawless through 6k but I could shoot it better if I mounted it on my hood...
I shot a friend's XDM and was impressed with the accuracy, great trigger and comfort.
I bought the XDS with 4" barrel and do not like the trigger as the travel is too long and the gun shoots low, about 2" low at 7 yards, with tight pattern. IMO the XDM has a superior trigger and is more accurate.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shot a friend's XDM and was impressed with the accuracy, great trigger and comfort.
I bought the XDS with 4" barrel and do not like the trigger as the travel is too long and the gun shoots low, about 2" low at 7 yards, with tight pattern. IMO the XDM has a superior trigger and is more accurate.
I can't disgreee with that. I have since shot a 3.3 xds and a 4.0. The 3.3 had grip extensions, felt nice, but both shot low. The Xdm is just too large in my hand and I have to constantly readjust my grip.
For now I am keeping the xdm and shopping for something I like better.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For now I am keeping the xdm and shopping for something I like better.
If you can find one to try, give the Shield a look.
As you can see in my avatar, I have both the XDMc and a Shield.
Nice crisp trigger, positive reset, feels almost as smooth to shoot as my XDMc.

In the past, many here chose the XD-S over the Shield simply because they didn't didn't want a pistol with a Thumb Safety... Well, now there's a No Thumb Safety (NTS) version of the Shield.
Just an option. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have 3.8 XDM in 9mm and 45acp. Love them, had the 40cal, but did not like the 40cal.I have small hands also . I have XDs 9/45acp 3.8 Handled the 4.0 9mm. I like it a lot. Maybe the 4.0 45acp will be out this summer.
4.0 is slightly muzzle heavy with 7 rnd mag not with 9 rnd IMO. If you can't make the 3.8 9mm work, I say YES trade it for a 4.0. Good Luck
I have the 4.0 9mm I don't think it is unbalanced at all into. I actually prefer it with the 7rd as oppose to the 9rd extended. Its a little heavy takes the recoil very well. Very thin. Really like it. The xds is my first pistol. I'm not disappointed. Sometimes I do wish u had the shorter barrel for appendix carry for example but the extra weight and sigh radius is worth it IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not shot a shield, but I did shoot a few m&p .40 cals. The location of the mag release was a problem. After 4-5 shots, semi rapid fire, I would drop the mag. I liked the feel, the trigger, and the look but couldn't justify a pruchase when that happens.

The xdm was my first pistol. I didn't know as much about fit and comfort. I have since become very interested and active shooting pistols. I also bought a springfield range officer 1911. That gun feels like it was built for me. I shoot it great and it just points instinctively. I know it's a whole different monster but I have taken a shining to the emp. Just need to shoot one a little more, I have only shot 1 mag through one.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have the XDS 3.3 in 9 and 45, both are accurate enough, but they are not target pistols and no short barreled gun is likely to be. I enjoy shooting the 9, but the 45 I find punishing. I broke my wrist a good while ago and short barreled 45s work but a box of ammo to practice is about all I want to do. I had my much heavier 10 mm EEA Witness Match talk to me after 100 rounds too, I expect the XDS 4.0 to be much better, still not a target pistol.

I have a XDM 5.25 and it is just super, mine has the Springer trigger mod.

Finally this "I could shoot it better if I mounted it on my hood... " now that would be great for late night car chases wouldn't it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts