Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the general consensus on defensive ammo for these two guns?
I read a lot on gold dots 155, 165, 180 and federal 147, and golden sabers (though found a blurb about a recall on them?)
Any opinions here? Also Federal has a "low recoil" jhp- anyone have any experience with it? Thanks for your help-

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
The link posted above has good information on proven carry loads, and--more importantly--the thought process on why they should be chosen.

It's also the link that I normally post in regards to your question.;)

There will be several loads listed for both of your calibers; all have shown themselves to be excellent performers in both tests and in the real world. You simply need to choose one of them (note that they are not listed in any particular order, and you may find that some are more available and/or considerably more expensive than others), buy a couple of boxes, and see if it runs 100% reliably in your pistols in your hands. Run at bare minimum one entire magazine from every magazine you plan on using for carry/SD--personally, I tend to run about 100 rounds of any potental carry load before I like it (which, to be honest, is usually 1 or 2 mags of all of my carry mags...).

If the load you've chosen is 100% reliable, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control in rapid fire...you've got yourself a carry load for you, and you don't need to worry about what other folks use in their pistols.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It states the 9mm tests are out of a 4" barrel, and states that anything below 3.5"- you are essentially on your own- so go for the 124 jhp then for a little more velocity given the shorter barrel? So much physics involved, it pains my fragile little mind! Thanks for the input

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was curious about something as well. On that website for speer golddot JHPs it recommended 124grn +P or 147grn. I couldn't find JHP anywhere besides gun shops, and the one that I go to the most to shoot only had 124grn gold dot JHP, non +P. Anything wrong with that or would it work fine? I bought some and put about 50 rounds through my gun, the gun handles it fine. I just wasn't sure if the stopping power it had would be the same as the +P or the 147grn

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
In 9mm, 147gr rounds are recommended for the shorter barrel lengths; they will lose less % of velocity, keeping them closer to the "window" for optimal performance...they may get less expansion, but they should still get the 12"+ of penetration.

In my experience in a shorter barrel, all a +p round is going to give you is more muzzle blast (this being with a Glock 26).

As for stopping power...placement, placement, placement. The 124gr Gold Dot is a good round, and should get the depth you need...but if you can find a 147gr, you'd likely be better served.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use the 180 grain HST-JHP from that list. They shoot good and never had an issue firing them. Also used the 155 gr. liked those as well. not listed in that link though.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
155gr is too light for the .40 they under penetrate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
In my XD40sc I use Speer Gold Dot 180gr short barrel. I don't know what is different from the regular GDs, but the XD loves them. There is diffidently a difference between them and the regular GD when fired.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a good deal on golden sabers 165 and 124 standard
Not +p.$14.79 for 25. That way can practice with it more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts