·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Palmetto State Armory 18" 6.8 SPCII Stainless Barrel Upper

6.8 SPC complete upper with BCG for 400.00

only perk it really doesn't have is a chrome lining

I would probably add the magpul MOE handguard for 20 bucks

or the TRX extreme free float since it would probably be a scoped upper and the low profile gas block would be nice

this a good deal?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have no experience with that maker, but supposedly non-chrome lined barrels are more accurate so for an 18" that makes a little bit of sense. If you are worried about durability then spring the extra $ for a chrome lined barrel.

It looks like a good deal and the money you save can go into ammo or optics.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I saw those on the 68forums and liked what I saw. The specs of the barrel are right on so you could use the hotter combat/tactical loads from SSA. Or the regular factory loads from anybody.

It's a stainless steel barrel. Why would you want (need) it chromed too? Just clean the ____ thing sometimes.

For the deal they're offering, I would probably opt for the troy rail for another 100 bucks, but that's just me. You'd be hard pressed to even buy that rail for $100 in the wrapper, much less installed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I saw those on the 68forums and liked what I saw. The specs of the barrel are right on so you could use the hotter combat/tactical loads from SSA. Or the regular factory loads from anybody.

It's a stainless steel barrel. Why would you want (need) it chromed too? Just clean the ____ thing sometimes.

For the deal they're offering, I would probably opt for the troy rail for another 100 bucks, but that's just me. You'd be hard pressed to even buy that rail for $100 in the wrapper, much less installed.
+1, Palmetto State offers some very good deals from time to time. Good people!:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have been looking at that also, very tempting. I have nothing but good things to say about Palmetto, always good to deal with.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Looks like a good deal...:)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
So I have a stupid question but I'm new to AR's can you put that 6.8 upper on a regular 5.56 lower?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have a stupid question but I'm new to AR's can you put that 6.8 upper on a regular 5.56 lower?
99% of the time, yes, it should not be an issue, only other thing you will need is 6.8spc mags

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
99% of the time, yes, it should not be an issue, only other thing you will need is 6.8spc mags
Thank you for answering xdmp, I have been looking at flat top uppers lately as that's what I wanted when I got mine in the first place but My order got messed up and there were no more flat top AR-15's in my price range as it was tax time and everybody was buying them up. Now I can add 6.8 uppers into the mix I kinda want to try that caliber.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for answering xdmp, I have been looking at flat top uppers lately as that's what I wanted when I got mine in the first place but My order got messed up and there were no more flat top AR-15's in my price range as it was tax time and everybody was buying them up. Now I can add 6.8 uppers into the mix I kinda want to try that caliber.
Your welcome.....there are a bunch of differant size uppers you can do.

There is even a bolt action single shot .50BMG upper you can get...lol

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have a stripped lower I've been planning to use for building an new AR. I looked into the 6.8spc but the ammo is expensive. Brass is expensive.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
snip\ add 6.8 uppers into the mix I kinda want to try that caliber.
I have been very impressed with the bullet. It should be very adequate for a medium game hunting gun. Muley's, Whitetail maybe small'ish black bear and close-in elk. I'm looking very forward to trying it in a few months.

But as Agalindo has said, ammo is expensive if you plan on it being a plinking round, it isn't.

But where the prices of hunting ammo are concerned, not terrible in the grand scheme of things.

Here's mine:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I just finished my first AR build for a dedicated hunting rifle, and I went 6.8 SPC. I'm delighted with the performance of my ARP 18" SPR upper on a Mega Gator lower.

Granted, plinking ammo isn't cheap. I did find 115 grain HPBT from Silver State Armory in 250 round bulk for $200 ($.80/round).

After my initial break-in and sighting in sessions, it won't get heavy use - some occasion practice sessions and pre-season sighting in with my hunting loads.

Hunting ammo in 6.8 SPC isn't any more expensive than good hunting cartridges in any other caliber.

For fun at the range, plinking and high volume shooting it's back to the RRA 5.56 carbine.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just finished my first AR build for a dedicated hunting rifle, and I went 6.8 SPC. I'm delighted with the performance of my ARP 18" SPR upper on a Mega Gator lower.

Granted, plinking ammo isn't cheap. I did find 115 grain HPBT from Silver State Armory in 250 round bulk for $200 ($.80/round).

After my initial break-in and sighting in sessions, it won't get heavy use - some occasion practice sessions and pre-season sighting in with my hunting loads.

Hunting ammo in 6.8 SPC isn't any more expensive than good hunting cartridges in any other caliber.

For fun at the range, plinking and high volume shooting it's back to the RRA 5.56 carbine.
That's pretty much my intention for getting the PSA upper

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

What he said. Unfortunately, there is no 6.8 equivelant to cheap Russian ammo or XM193. However, when you get into good hunting, match, and Home Defense/Law Enforcemant ammo, the prices are similar. Compare some 5.56 Hornaday TAP or Black Hills ammo with popular 6.8 offerings from SSA, Hornaday, or Wilson Combat, and the differences are not so much.

I just ordered one of these PSA 6.8 uppers, so I will now have a 5.56 and 6.8SPC upper for both my lowers. Now my kid can use an AR when we go after hogs, instead of his .270.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts