Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I just bought a lasermax Uni that mounts to the rail on my .45 Tactical. I took it to the range today and I found that it was difficult to sight in. The tuning screws are very sensitive. Anyway... I discovered that I have bad habits in my shooting, because I can place three quality shots where I pointed the laser(@ 7 yards) and then I will have a bad shot that is off by as much as 4". Also, I find that when I am accurate with the laser, I have both eyes open and I disregard the sights. Anyone know how I should approach learning to consistently shoot with this type of laser?

-XD45MAN

-Springfield XD .45 ACP Tactical - Bitone
-Springfield XD .40 S&W Subcompact - Black
- Sig Sauer P250 9mm -Black

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Personally, I would still use the sights. I would never totally rely on a mechanical or electrical device. I only rely on myself and my own ingenuity.... Miracle Im still alive ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lasers are interesting and have there place, I had one mounted on my XD but it is hard to see in the daytime (red) and if you got in a situation it would seem to me that it would be visible to the bad guy, but that is just an opinion on what works for me...welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
It seems to me that instead of all these fancy doo-dads that belong on something like an AR as opposed to an XD, people should be removing their sights entirely and learning how to point shoot, then put the sights and doo-dads back on. You will be a much better shooter because of it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have read some real cons to laser sights, but I tell you it was sure fun hitting soda cans at 15 feet and making them dance. I have trouble focusing on sights, can't see em LOL, so the laser is fun for me. I guess green tritium rear and fiber optic red front would help me, but I hate the idea of my guns being somewhere else and not near me, to have these installed properly. I got to see this config in person 1 day on a muzzleloader, boy those sights stood out!

Hmm, wondering if some would be rapist would have 2 turns at crapping himself- 1 at me pulling a gun on him, 2 at the red dot on his chest?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would leave lasers for night-time defense.
My .45 Tac is only for night time defense. It is my go to gun for that middle of the night situation. I got the laser so that I would be confident in taking that first shot in a semi-dark hallway without missing.
I carry my .40 and my Sig P250... well I might as well throw that at someone. It is pretty unreliable. Sig sold it as being 16+1 but it FTEs when you put 16 in the mag, so they changed their website to show 15+1.

-XD45MAN

-Springfield XD .45 ACP Tactical - Bitone
-Springfield XD .40 S&W Subcompact - Black
- Sig Sauer P250 9mm -Black

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lasers are effective... and they alow you to anylize your shooting problems in real time so you can correct them. The Uni-Max has 120 moa adjustment at 100 yds for both elevation and windage so a little goes a long way. I suspect when you throw the shot one of two things is happening. One you are anticipating the recoil and pushing on the gun or two dropping the gun as you try to see where the shot was. Follow through is crucial.
Shootinh with a laser is easier with both eyes open and guess what... all reserch on human eyesight indicates that in a stressful situation you become binocular dominate, your pupils dilate, your lens flatten and you loose the ability to have near sight vision. Translation... most shooting situations you couldn't see your sights if you wanted too because you are threat focused. This based on research at the SIG Academy and through PPCT. Further studies of on street shooting situations from LEOs involved show that up to 80% of the officers did not use their sights. Thay is reality not punching paper. It is correct to shoot with both eyes open and helps to decrease tunnel vision and if you are navigating through an area and you close one eye you loose depth perception. Lasers allow you to make the shot. I have seen this proven with computer simulators and across the board the speed increses and the accuracy improves. When you shoot... don't wish the shot. Concentrate on keeping your laser or the sights on the target through the recoil. Follow through

·
Registered
34 Posts
My XD .45 Tactical w/laser resides in the nightstand next to my bed. It is there for nighttime protection. The laser is not for daytime use...

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I don't understand how the lasers could stand the shock and still be accurate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lasers are effective... and they alow you to anylize your shooting problems in real time so you can correct them. The Uni-Max has 120 moa adjustment at 100 yds for both elevation and windage so a little goes a long way. I suspect when you throw the shot one of two things is happening. One you are anticipating the recoil and pushing on the gun or two dropping the gun as you try to see where the shot was. Follow through is crucial.
Shootinh with a laser is easier with both eyes open and guess what... all reserch on human eyesight indicates that in a stressful situation you become binocular dominate, your pupils dilate, your lens flatten and you loose the ability to have near sight vision. Translation... most shooting situations you couldn't see your sights if you wanted too because you are threat focused. This based on research at the SIG Academy and through PPCT. Further studies of on street shooting situations from LEOs involved show that up to 80% of the officers did not use their sights. Thay is reality not punching paper. It is correct to shoot with both eyes open and helps to decrease tunnel vision and if you are navigating through an area and you close one eye you loose depth perception. Lasers allow you to make the shot. I have seen this proven with computer simulators and across the board the speed increses and the accuracy improves. When you shoot... don't wish the shot. Concentrate on keeping your laser or the sights on the target through the recoil. Follow through
Thanks for the advice and time. I'll apply your comments.

-XD45MAN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My XD .45 Tactical w/laser resides in the nightstand next to my bed. It is there for nighttime protection. The laser is not for daytime use...
I agree with you. That was the reason I was shooting at 7 yards. If I moved the target further I would lose the laser in the sunlight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive ordered the new crinson trace for my 45. from everything ive read to this point. i like them the best. but there is no sub for good shooting habbite

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with SUPRPIG on when the SHTF all your paper punching goes out the window. Our minds and body take over in an instant.
Laser traing done correctly can improve your shooting.
Also by using a laser to identify and improve trigger control, you can improve your shooting ability.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bump. Laser sights can let you shot accurately from, say, under the bed where using sights would be impossible. Many other situations where sighting is not possible, but seein' a red dot is. Lefy/righty or vise verse

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It seems to me that instead of all these fancy doo-dads that belong on something like an AR as opposed to an XD, people should be removing their sights entirely and learning how to point shoot, then put the sights and doo-dads back on. You will be a much better shooter because of it.
+1 I can't hit crap most times with my sights, but I do real well with point shooting.

I
Hmm, wondering if some would be rapist would have 2 turns at crapping himself- 1 at me pulling a gun on him, 2 at the red dot on his chest?
Other than the movies, what makes you think the BG will see the red dot on his chest? If I were the BG I would be running or looking at you, not searching for some tiny two dimensional dot on my bodkin lol
LASERs are a great training aid for practicing trigger control, but that's where they should remain. In real life instances it seem many folks end up "chasing the dot" rather than making a good shot on a target.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even if you don't think I will shoot you...as soon as you see that RED Dot on your chest you will probably think twice about your next move.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When we did training in tachtical room clearing, you rarely used sights. A simple instance. You are the lead in your entry team. You move into a room, and lets say a subject jumps out from be hind an object frig, couch, etc. You see he has a wepon in his hands. Do you take that extra second, or two and lign up your sights, or do you point and shoot? Believe it or not, with some practice you can be very accurate without sights. It becomes second nature. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts