Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I share an XD Compact 9mm. She has a hard time with the front sight.

Rather than sending the slide out and having optics installed, I thought I would just buy a spare and put optics on it.

But, I can't find an oem slide. I can find purple, white, green, "stylish" slides. But all I want is a spare slide, with or without sights.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Heres one, but at that price I would just buy a new firearm for a couple dollars more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well....that looks like about 1/2 the gun. And, actually, I had thought about just buying a second.

Just a little perturbed at the inability to buy spare parts. I guess I have been rebuilding cars for so long I just expected firearm manufacturers to provide spare parts.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
^ As a fellow car-lover, I feel where you're coming from. ;)

Some manufacturers are more forthcoming than others, but also, it's just easier to source a ready-trove of nearly-new take-off or distributor-level parts for some makes versus others.

Unfortunately, Springfield Armory - at least with the XD/XDM - aren't in that "easy" camp. :(

FWIW, if you both are serious about shooting, I would simply get a second - a copy - and individualize each towards your needs.

It's really not all that fun to open the safe to show off copy after copy of the same gun, but on a practical level, especially for those who seriously practice/train for self-defense or shoot competitively, there's considerable benefits to be had by having that second copy. Over the years, even noted names like Ayoob have made the case for having a "duplicate gun," and I think that The Civilian Gunfighter blog entry here - The Case for Duplicate Guns - spells out the "whys," pretty nicely, of this practice.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help in locating you a spare slide, though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts