Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Winchester 1300 (Ranger?) 20-gauge I bought back in 2003. It is wood and blue, which I like. I bought a 18.5" Defender barrel off Gunbroker for $75, blued also. Of course, I need to install the larger magazine tube on my gun, and this is the dark hole in my knowledge from whence my interrogatory pursuits emanate. So, I want to make the new barrel and gun fit.

If you have advice, I appreciate it. Do I need the 8-round Defender mag tube? Do I need a longer spring? Will the tube cap and internal parts I already have fit? Are there any other parts I need to buy?

Also, for your consideration and my benefit--Can I remove the old tube and press in the new one without a gunsmith? Just wondering if there is a trick to doing it besides having a press.

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Its been a long time since I owned a winchester shotty but on my Remingtons, the magtube replaces the mag cap (that secures the barrel) and when you buy the magtube, it comes with a spring. Its should be a matter of just replacing the mag cap with the new extension tube, when you want to remove the barrel, you unscrew the whole tube.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've got a Winchester 1300 (Ranger?) 20-gauge I bought back in 2003....

Do I need the 8-round Defender mag tube? Do I need a longer spring? Will the tube cap and internal parts I already have fit? Are there any other parts I need to buy? ...

Can I remove the old tube and press in the new one without a gunsmith? ...
1) You can only use a 7-shot tube with the 18" barrel to my knowledge. The problem will be that you have a 20ga and most of the parts I have seen/used specify 12ga. I don't know if there is a difference in the 12ga v. 20ga tubes, but my guess is that you need a specific, smaller diameter extension tube for the 20ga.

Here is a Choate tube for the 1300 Defender. I have used these tubes on various shotguns and I have always been pleased with the results (but again...I don't know if this will work on a 20ga):

CHOATE Machine & Tool, Inc. - Winchester 1200, 1300, Ranger 120 & Defender. 7 Shot extension

These extensions come with the extension, spring, clamp and follower that will all be needed for your upgrade. This is a complete kit so you won't need any other parts.

2) No gunsmithing required...you can do this upgrade on your own with minimal time and work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winchester 1300 Magazine Tube 8 Shot: MGW

Thanks for the replies. The above link shows the part I've been thinking about installing. I believe this is what I need unless I want to just clamp the barrel to an extension. The new, short barrel has its ring at 17" down the 18.5" barrel. The old barrel has its ring about 11" down the 26" barrel. So, the old magazine and its cap would never screw down on the new barrel's ring (I guess that is what it is called). I could add an extension and clamp the barrel onto the extension. I have seen that done, but I don't if that is solid enough. What do you think?

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts