Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I took my XD40 to the range today to put some rounds through it

And I had about 2 or 3 jams

One I'm positive was a failed ejection of an empty shell, it got caught half inside the gun half out, so I just pulled the slide back and it and a live round were ejected

The second one was a failed reload so I pulled the slide back until it successfully fed into the chamber

And THEN on the last round of every magazine, the slide would re-rack and the firing pin indicator would be showing, but no round was in the chamber (chamber indicator was down of course). It would only kick back into the empty magazine stance on like every other magazine I emptied.

I didn't give the gun a good cleaning before I went out there, and I was using some ****** rounds from Academy Sports... they didn't real have a whole lot of kick to them it was weird feeling.

My last visit I used Blazer 165 grain
Today I used Monarch 180 grain

I was really disheartened by this. I thought XD's had just as much - if not more - reliability than a Glock (ugly, non-ergonomical guns IMO).

So verdict:

not cleaned?
the gun itself?
or crap rounds I was using?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Im sure cleaning could be an issue but the rounds are more likely the culprit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would guess the crap ammo. I just bought an XD-45 and when I cleaned before the first use, there was almost nothing in the way of gunk inside the gun. Yours may be different though.

I would try some good ammo. I've had zero problems with my XDm-9 or my XD-45 so far.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have used the WWB and The cheap Federal ammo from Walmart. I had one fail to eject out of 200 WWB my first time to the range. No issues with the federal though. Search the ammo forum for advice on more brands though.

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
Use some decent ammunition and your problems should disappear.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Were you using more than one magazine on this trip? If they were all fired through on magazine, I would try another magazine. I have never had a malfunction in over 2500 rounds out of my XD40. I have shot mostly WWB and Federal up until my Walmart started carrying Tula for $12.97 for 50. No I Shoot Tula and even that steel cases garbage has not produced a malfunction and I have shot about 500 rounds of that stuff through the gun.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Got to be around 3k rounds through my XD40 and not one hiccup. Sorry to hear your troubles. Keep fighting the good fight and use better ammo for it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sounds like you were limpwristing. Stove pipes, and failure of the slide to lock back are signs of you breaking your wrist as the gun fires absorbing some the momentum of the slide causing it not go back all the way to fully eject the round and lock the slide.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Did you rule out the possibility of limp-wristing.

Don't be offended by the term. Some people get all bent out of shape when I tell them the reason my pistol is malfunctioning is because they are limp-wristing it. I've had to prove it a few times by loading the same ammunition and firing off several mags with no issues.

I'm not saying this is what's happening in your situation, but I noticed you didn't list it as a possibility.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
WWB or Federal i use for target in both my 40 cals (4.5xdm and xdsc ) and no problems with them Cabelas has them both on sale for 15.99 for box of 50 give them a try.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would suggest taking on both issues at the same time. Give the pistol a good cleaning and oiling and buy a couple of boxes of Winchester, Federal or Remington target loads. I think you will find your issues have gone away. The only problems I have had with my XDs is when using 9mm Tulamo. The primers are crap. Other than that I have never had an issue with failure to feed or eject. I also have an XD .45 acp but have no issues at all with it even when using Tulamo. Perhaps their large pistol primers are more reliable than their small.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
And THEN on the last round of every magazine, the slide would re-rack and the firing pin indicator would be showing, but no round was in the chamber (chamber indicator was down of course). It would only kick back into the empty magazine stance on like every other magazine I emptied.

I didn't give the gun a good cleaning before I went out there, and I was using some ****** rounds from Academy Sports... they didn't real have a whole lot of kick to them it was weird feeling.
?

The failure to lock the slide back is 99.999999999% probably due to your thumb pressing the slide release. Can't blame the gun when the operator releases the slide.:rolleyes:

The rounds recoiling funny -> probably the range reloads were garbage. For some reason, there are a lot of reports about poor quality ammo bought from ranges. Probably due to the brass having been reloaded dozens of times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The failure to lock the slide back is 99.999999999% probably due to your thumb pressing the slide release. Can't blame the gun when the operator releases the slide.:rolleyes:

The rounds recoiling funny -> probably the range reloads were garbage. For some reason, there are a lot of reports about poor quality ammo bought from ranges. Probably due to the brass having been reloaded dozens of times.
Pressing the slide release? Like the latch you flip up to service the gun?

Now that I think about it I was definitely limp wristing. I am new to shooting and was experimentin today. I would put the first three rounds on center but then I would trickle off to the left. But yeah I was definItely leavingy wrist loose. I had no idea that a wrist could affect the performance of a gun so much.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Pressing the slide release? Like the latch you flip up to service the gun?

Now that I think about it I was definitely limp wristing. I am new to shooting and was experimentin today. I would put the first three rounds on center but then I would trickle off to the left. But yeah I was definItely leavingy wrist loose. I had no idea that a wrist could affect the performance of a gun so much.
The slide lock/release is the button to the rear of the disassembly lever. If I may suggest, read up and become intimate with the operation of your gun.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I must have a couple of good one's. They do not discriminate. They eat everything!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts