Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was my second practical pistol match. I shot it with my SA XD-40 Tactical this time instead of my XD-40 Service. It was held at Crooked Creek Conservation Club (http://www.practicalpistol.net/). There were five stages in today’s course of fire.

The first stage was a standard IPSC qualifier stage. There were three strings fired in the stage. There were four targets to shoot, see above photo for layout. On all the strings you started with handgun loaded and hands above your shoulders. On the buzzer you drew and engage the targets. The first string was, draw, shoot one shot on each target free-hand, mandatory reload and shoot one shot per target again free-hand. The second string was one shot per target free-hand, mandatory reload, then one shot per target strong hand only. The final string was draw, and shoot one shot per target weak hand only.

The next stage as seen in the second photo above was started with gun loaded hands at your side behind the barricade. You could engage targets from either side of the barricade but if you change sides after the buzzer you had to reload. On the left side you had a quad of paper targets that each got two shots. The right side had another quad and almost directly behind the barricade was a small popper that activated a swinger. The swinger gave me a bit of a problem. I shot the left side quad first, reloaded as I moved to the right side where I shot the popper activating the swinger. I then shot the other quad, and then tried to shoot the swinger last after it slowed down some. I manage to only hit it one of three shots. Not my best stage but still fun.

Stage three was based around a Texas Star {what a cool target to shoot}. On this stage the star was in the middle with three paper targets on each side. You started loaded, holstered, with your hand at your sides. On the buzzer you drew and shot two shots at the paper target, then knocked one of the plates off and then back to the next paper for two shots and then one plate and so forth until you shot all the targets and plates. I have to say I love the Texas Star that was a very fast and slick stage.

The forth and fifth stage were both shot on the same layout. As you can see in the picture there were a lot of targets. There is a paper target behind each wall in the picture that you can’t see. There is also one behind the shooter preparing to shoot in the picture. So in total there were three paper targets and three poppers in each of the three bays for a total of nine of each target type.

In the first run through you started anywhere inside the triangle that the shooter in the picture is standing in. On the buzzer you engage the targets, you could shoot the paper or steel first but which ever you chose you had to shoot all of the targets of that type before switching to the other type of target. The restriction of movement to inside the triangle made the target on against the outside of the two barricades a real lean to see them.

The second run on this stage was started with the shooter in the white box in the picture behind the shooter but now you were allow movement anywhere behind the line formed by the front of the triangle used in the previous stage. I liked this format and use the full range of motion to close the ranges.

And if I might brag a little here I think I shot the stage fairly well. I started loaded with 10 + 1 (I was shooting limited-10). On the buzzer I move quickly to my left engaging the first two targets then the poppers then the last target on the side of the barricade. I reloaded moving to my right having shot 10 times in the first bay then shot the targets in the center bay, continuing to move I reloaded and moved to the last bay. As I put the final shot in the final paper the slide locked open, gun empty. I was very please that I manage to keep good count and when I when back and picked up my magazines they were empty. I had managed to count that I had shot 10 rounds and reloaded both times without having to reload from a locked slide. I shot 31 rounds on a stage that should have taken 27 if shot clean. Still room to improve but I was please.

Overall the course of fire if shot perfectly would have taken 115 rounds, I shot 126 round. That seemed pretty good to me. My XD-40 Tactical performed flawlessly, not one malfunction. Most importantly I manage to not do anything unsafe and I had a lot of fun. They are doing a qualifier match at the end of the month that I am looking forward to.

Thanks for looking and reading
mcb

·
Registered
452 Posts
Congrats on a good day t the match. :D

I wasn't able to make a match this past weekend, as you saw on the BE forums my last match wasn't a big success. :wink: Hopefully I will be able to make a match this weekend and then I am still going to try to make it to the qualifier match at Crooked Creek on the 29th. Time permitting I would like to shoot both L-10 and Production at the qualifier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts