Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a thread here recently and cant find it. It was about using cabelas tungsten sinkers and some kind of tungsten paste to fill the guider rod as full as possible short of forking over the money for a solid tungsten guide rod.
Cheap is my middle name out of necessity since I just bought another gun, 5.25 for multigun and now need to also reload for it.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Or find someone with a spare Spikes Tactical ST-T2 powdered tungsten filled AR buffer and mix with some slow-set epoxy. Should be plenty to do several guide rods.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found some tungston weights for pinewood derby cars on Amazon that are 3/16" OD and come in a package of 3 OZ. We shall see. Plan on stacking them and using some JB weld to hold them in.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
JB Weld Epoxy. The 24hr slow set type should handle the temps. Totally degrease guide rod with non residue brake cleaner. Use a sharp point to scratch some lines inside the end of the guide rod to add a bit of mechanical purchase for the epoxy. Fill and tamp the powder to light compression. (Just hold upright and tap end of rod down on hard surface to fully settle powder). Fill the last 3/8" or so with either straight epoxy or a mix of epoxy and tungsten powder-probably no less than 60% epoxy. Fill from one side so no trapped air bubbles. Slightly overfill and tap guide on hard surface for final tamping.
Store upright until completely set (maybe 2 days). Sand/file end smooth and even with flange.
Check occassionally until you are sure the end plug is holding and not cracking

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
It looks like a source was found by the OP, so I'll just add that others might find a local source, if they have a Golf Pro shop ... They use the powdered form when adding weight to golf clubs.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
If the paste doesn't keep you happy, just buy a 4.5 tungsten guide rod.
Yes, unless you need a sight, slide or barrel, all the other parts are the same.

Since the ONLY aftermarket parts available of the 5.25 specific parts are the front sight and barrel, any other part that is available for the 4.5 will work on the 5.25.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
do they make a solid tungsten rod for the xd40sc? i wouldnt mind a little less flip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.