Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 4" SD XD since December, and love the gun. I probably have around 1200 rounds through the gun, but I am still experiencing repeated jambs. They first showed up with Winchester ammo, then with Remington ammo. I sent it back to Springfield and personally spoke with the technician there that was working on it, he put 400 rounds through it, but could not make it jamb - together we decided that it must have been a burr or something on the feed ramp that broke loose, and so he shipped it back to me. I have now shot Winchester, Remington, and Blazer ammo through it, and continue to see jambs. They tend to occur after about 6 mags worth of shooting and all have left the bullet at an upward angle, feeding into the chamber and seeming to jamb on the extractor. I have also had the jamb occur by just cycling bullets through the gun - they have occurred by just releasing the slide release, and by pulling it back all the way to load the next bullet.

Anybody else seen this?
Could I be doing something wrong?
What should I do next to fix this?

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
its your mags, take your feed lips and squeeze the front together about a 100th of an inch lowering the angle the bullet hits the feed ramp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with Springfield and they want me to ship it back to them again, he thinks it has something to do with the extractor. Though it sucks to have a gun that Jambs, I can't complain about the service from Springfield - they are great.

How do you think a loose grip could cause jambs?

Thanks for the insight - this is a great website and I will be staying in touch...

kdb

·
Registered
40 Posts
Having a loose or a limp grip on the frame can cause feeding problems due to it not letting the pistol recoil properly.
I don't see how an extractor problem would cause the feeding issue. If your spent cases were the ones jamming, then I would think so, but not on live rounds getting jammed while trying to feed.

I would definately try to bend in the mag lips as suggested above. It took care of a very similar problem with my buddies XD9SC.

Good luck man.
IJ

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
its your mags, take your feed lips and squeeze the front together about a 100th of an inch lowering the angle the bullet hits the feed ramp.
You should try this before you ship it back.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If it works fine for 6 mags, I would guess that you are getting a little tired and sloppy with your grip. If it were your mags or the extractor (or anything else mechanical) it wouldn't function fine for the first six mags.

ranburr

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
What caliber are you using? I find that the .40 S&W is more prone to jam up and fail to feed and have removed it totaly from my battery of guns. The round is just a defective design.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
manygunner said:
What caliber are you using? I find that the .40 S&W is more prone to jam up and fail to feed and have removed it totaly from my battery of guns. The round is just a defective design.
That is one of the stupidest statements that I have ever read.

ranburr

·
Registered
96 Posts
kdb said:
How do you think a loose grip could cause jambs?
The slide cycling is ejecting the spent casing and loading a new cartridge, if you limp wrist you are taking away from the natural motion needed for the firearm to function properly which could cause a jam

I hope that answers your question there, and If anyone has anything else to add.. please do

btw.. the .40 cal round is NOT a defective round, its a very popular round and myself and a few others have had few to no problems with the round in multiple guns in any way

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
ranburr said:
manygunner said:

ranburr
Many agree with me. Maybe not here where people worship the XD40, but elsewhere they do. And as they shoot IPSC, IDPA and other disciplines internationally I think their opinion and mine overides yours. The .40 S&W is a badly designed cartridge prone to feed jams.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Couple of comments. First on the need for a firm grip. The shooters grip is what holds the frame still when the slide recoils back. This is especially important in polymer framed guns, since the frame weighs very little itself. If the frame is free to move back at the same time the slide is moving, then the cycle of the gun is affected. If the gun works fine for several magazines and then begins to jam, I would suspect that your grip is becoming less firm, or possibly that dirt is affecting the operation of the slide, extractor etc.

Second, while I can't comment on the design of the .40 S&W cartridge itself, the thing people forget is that very few handguns were designed for it, they were designed for the 9x19mm, and then adapted to the .40. The HS2000 was designed as a military sidearm, and I doubt that the designers gave 30 seconds thought to the .40 S&W, I am not aware of any military that uses it. They were trying to build the best 9mm service pistol that they could, which was then adapted to other calibers in order to sell the gun to police departments and the private sector.

I would number the magazines and keep track of which ones jam and which ones don't. If I found that some cause jams, I would examine them and try to find the difference; quite possibly you will find that the feed lips are slightly different. If there is no difference in the mags, then I would concentrate on my grip, maybe use a shooting glove that gives a little support to the wrist for a while. If I still had jams, I would do one of three things, send it back again in the hope that SA can find something, trade it in on a 9mm, or buy a .357 Sig barrel. The bottlenecked .357 cartridge has a reputation for feed reliability due to feeding a .357 diameter bullet into a chamber sized for a .40 case head.

Hang in there, if you go at it in an organized manner, you will find the problem.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I have found when trying to describe and solve problems, exact information is important. When I was having problems with my Para, I took it to the range along with a notebook and made specific notes as to how many rounds before the problem showed, how many rounds between problems, etc.

As RonS said, be organized about it and you'll have a solid shooter on your hands in not time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
manygunner said:
ranburr said:
manygunner said:

ranburr
Many agree with me. Maybe not here where people worship the XD40, but elsewhere they do. And as they shoot IPSC, IDPA and other disciplines internationally I think their opinion and mine overides yours. The .40 S&W is a badly designed cartridge prone to feed jams.
You forget the fact that your opinion cannot overide my own. If you show some facts then we can talk. I don't own alot of pistols but I own two that have never had a single failure no matter what junk I feed them and they are both .40. If there are more problems with the round, I would imagine it stems from the fact that alot of guns are built based on the 9mm and adapted to shoot .40 if the platform is successful.

ETA: I should have read RonS post before I repeated him :oops:

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Just tell the guy to check his magazines......were they sent with the pistol the first time. SA had the chance to fix it......there answer about the extractor is wrong I think they think your having trouble to extract not feed.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
manygunner said:
ranburr said:
manygunner said:

ranburr
Once again you show your ignorance. There are numerous people who shoot IPSC, IDPA and other disciplines with the .40 cal. Shooting in competition in no way makes you an expert. I would also say that the .40 cal is probably the top law enforcement cartridge in the U.S. I do not worship the .40 in fact I don't currently own one. My lack of interest has nothing to do with the lack of reliability. I am just a .45 kind of guy. The .40 is every bit as reliable as a .45 or a 9mm.

ranburr

·
Registered
96 Posts
ranburr said:
Once again you show your ignorance. There are numerous people who shoot IPSC, IDPA and other disciplines with the .40 cal. Shooting in competition in no way makes you an expert. I would also say that the .40 cal is probably the top law enforcement cartridge in the U.S. I do not worship the .40 in fact I don't currently own one. My lack of interest has nothing to do with the lack of reliability. I am just a .45 kind of guy. The .40 is every bit as reliable as a .45 or a 9mm.

ranburr
+1

again Im gonna agree.. .40 cal feeds, goes bang and finds center mass for me every time. show us where the studies have shown its defective

·
Registered
25 Posts
The XD40 40sw sub having such a short action may not work with the heavier bullets that are commercially made because the barrel is so short and alot of pressure is lost to recycle the slide.

I handload all my firearms and shoot the Speer 180GD at 950-970 fps as chronoed out of the shorty. I use a powder that burns 99% in that short barrel and have not had any jams.
The Hornady 180xtps are same velocity and powder and no jams here.

I do have a dremel kit and debur and polish all my ramps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The important thing is to follow a logical, methodical process for finding the problem. Eliminate one thing at a time untill you find a problem, then fix it and continue testing untill you know that your gun is reliable.

You may wish to purchase a set of function testing dummy rounds from Brownells, and use them to examine the feeding process yourself.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts