Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i turned 21 about a month ago and ive been searching online for a good buy. came across the xd-45 and i was in love... so i bought it, got it for a good price, came with the night sights (wasnt included in the price, when they found out they werent too happy but honored the price on the tag) I havent had the oppurtunity to shoot mine yet, probably will be going wednesday ... but ... it already has some scratching one it ...
not not as bad in the picture ( not my gun, but just to use a reference) but it is starting to scratch without even firing it yet...

anybody else have this problem? Can it be fixed? I searched around on the forum but couldnt find anything that related to this ... any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You can fix it by polishing it. Their are a bunch of threads and a sticky somewhere that goes into detail on how to do it.

Its basically wear of the color finish as the slides goes back and forth over it. Nothing bad is happening.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
That just comes with use. Like wearing the tread on your new tires, except this one won't leave you on the side of the road. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt think it was bad, but my brother has the xd-40 and has shot several hundred and doesnt have a scratch on it, so i didnt know if mine was a little off.

Thanks for the quick replies :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. My XD45 is scratched like that a bit as well, but it has seen several thousand rounds and hasn't failed me. I agree with others in saying it is cosmetic more than anything, and, to be honest, I hadn't even thought about it until I read this thread.

-magiaaron

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'd say most XDs look like that, even those with a low number of rounds shot. It doesn't matter. (The XD is a combat handgun. It is going to get scratched.)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Normal wear. Nothing to worry about. Just shows that it actually gets used. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you do polish it, sand it with 1500 grit paper and then go to 2000 grit and then hit it with some Simichrome or Brasso. I used 1500 paper, 2000 paper and then Simichrome. Other tutorials used britex ( right? ) heavy metal polish. but they have been out of stock for some time. And Simichrome is a great metal polish.

It will take you about 2 hrs doing it my way, and oh yeah you need a dremel to polish it nice and shiny.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have mine, and it's a brand new onw, may be it came from the ballistics test that was done before I got it from the dealer, but it never worries me;)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I have mine, and it's a brand new onw, may be it came from the ballistics test that was done before I got it from the dealer, but it never worries me;)
mine was like that too brand new is that typical?
All XDs are fired at the factory, all mine were NIB and all had the beginning of those wear marks. Absolutely normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts