Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've probably put about 400 rounds through my XD .40 Subcompact so far and when I cleaned it last time I noticed some scratches on the barrel. Should this be happening? Is it going to cause any future problems?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thats completely normal. Think about how the action works and you'll see how the barrel rubs against the slide while it cycles. You can minimize it using gun butter or something similar but ultimately its going to wear. This is one of the reasons why alot of people opt to polish the barrel.

I took a closer look at your photos, and that small area at the top of the barrel toward the back, right near the square part (breach end) doesn't look like normal wear. Was it like that when you got the gun?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Thats completely normal. Think about how the action works and you'll see how the barrel rubs against the slide while it cycles. You can minimize it using gun butter or something similar but ultimately its going to wear. This is one of the reasons why alot of people opt to polish the barrel.
I plan to polish after it gets super ugly

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I took a closer look at your photos, and that small area at the top of the barrel toward the back, right near the square part (breach end) doesn't look like normal wear. Was it like that when you got the gun?
I drew red circles around the part I am concerned about. I understand that there will be normal wear on the barrel, but it is actually wearing that part round on one side only.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There are no red circles on the images I'm looking at. Are you sure you posted the right images?

Nevermind I hit refresh and I see the circles now. That does look a little odd. I'll go check my Xd's and see if they have that

·
Registered
463 Posts
My XD .40 SC does seem to have a slight angle to it in that same spot, Mine doesn't look to be worn like yours though, It looks like it was machined to be angled on the one side.

Checking my XDm now.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My XDm also has a slight angle on that one side, It is much less distinct than it is on my .40 SC. I would be tempted to dismiss that to lack of wear on my XDm as it has only about 100 rounds through it, but like I said before the angle on my .40 doesn't seem worn just machined that way.

I have never noticed this before. I'd be interested what others have to say

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Marks on the barrel look normal.
The peening on the block, not so normal.
I'd contact SA on that.....:-?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I believe the little dimple is from hardness testing. It's a good thing to have on parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got a reply e-mail from Springfield Armory.

Will,
From the photos, it looks like normal wear. I did forward the photos to our techs and they agree, everything looks fine.

Have a great day!
Dawn Oleson
Range Program Coordinator/
Dealer Assistance & Response Team
Springfield, Inc.

[email protected]

It looks like I'm all good. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts