Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've had my 5" XD 45 Tactical Melonite (w/thumb safety) for a few weeks now and love it. But during cleaning, I managed to scrape the top of the slide and, although not the end of the world, does look ugly on my new gun. Anything I can do to remove or minimize the scratch?

Thanks,
Fury

·
Registered
537 Posts
Black sharpie?

I know Pistolgear.com sells a little black magic marker, very similar to the finish of your piece; a little touch up here and there never hurt anybody; right?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
birchwood and casey black pen.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
scratches build character.

My XD has so many scratches and wear on it from holster wear and from general using it.

It's my go to gun not a show piece!

But with that said...

The first scratch that I noticed did make me kind of sad.

·
Registered
294 Posts
scratches build character.

My xd has so many scratches and wear on it from holster wear and from general using it.

It's my go to gun not a show piece!

But with that said...

The first scratch that i noticed did make me kind of sad.

+10,000

It only builds character

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I agree 110% with the character comments. My Tacticals are beat all to heck, but they still shoot great!! No finish is completely "scratch-proof" so it is gonna happen with any regular use and it won't harm the function of the pistol one bit.

As for the "scratch"...are we talking about a scuff, a small scratch, or a deep scratch that is down to bare metal? It matters as to how best to deal with it. A little gun oil and some time polishing it and it may buff out (at least to some degree, it should be less visible). If it is a deeper scrtach of gouge...that is a different story and may require more drastic fix-ups like the Blue Wonder or the Black Magic fix up kits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the damage...just a minor thing, but pretty obvious when looking at the gun.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
+1. That isn't a scratch...just a surface scuff. Try buffing it out...if it doesn't come completely out...it will at least be a LOT less noticable.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Dude, I have a pre-melonite XD and the slide looks dull and faded and most of the blue has worn off of the barrel hood.

I think Springfield started meloniting the slides and spoiled all you guys. :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
my screw drivers, knives, and other tools are all scratched or beat up. They are an indication of use. WHen we have a student show up at a course with a greying glock 17 or a Sig 226 with holster wear, we are pretty sure that we have someone that will do well. A brand new wilson combat or les baer is also an indication of someone that is going to struggle.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
A brand new wilson combat or les baer is also an indication of someone that is going to struggle.
That's a pretty interesting generalization and to me, not one that reflects deep thinking. Among my many guns (both common and expensive), I have a very nice looking Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade. It has a great finish (2nd one so far) and despite the large number of rounds and several hundred +P goodness, it still looks great. When the time comes, it will get its 3rd coat and look like new again. In your school it would be a mark of shame. In my book, a mark of good keeping and respect for superior workmanship.

Even in my Army days, my M4 and 203 or Galil looked great (although they did stink of diesel) because I took great care to keep them so, and they in turn kept me alive. They saw and eat dirt, mud, rain, hail and way too much sweat and other sorts of unpleasant stuff but they looked and worked great. When they scratched, I had the armorer coat them to prevent rust and corrosion.

Having a gun go in and out of a holster doesn't make one an expert. Even if they have a life membership with the NRA. Same goes for abused, scratched guns. At least not in my book.

I'd reserve my judgment until observing a person handle their weapon of choice properly, shoot confidently and accurately and when the time comes (which is no longer the case for me) see them in time of stress, observe if they use their brain to avoid or win a fight and only send the bear minimum of rounds toward the target, and nothing but that target.

Nothing personal, just a problem with the statement and general approach. It may be accurate in your situation and life experience, but it isn't in mine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been shooting for about 4 decades (dad started us young back in west Texas) ---
Everytime this has happended to me --and it has certainly happened

I think about getting the gun/part/slide refinished --might even go as far as to figure out the cost --then I polish on it a little --then I think about it some more and then

I usually just live with it

worst case I make it clear to the new potential owner that it has a flaw and give it a good selling........

but thats just me

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd reserve my judgment until observing a person handle their weapon of choice properly, shoot confidently and accurately and when the time comes (which is no longer the case for me) see them in time of stress, observe if they use their brain to avoid or win a fight and only send the bear minimum of rounds toward the target, and nothing but that target.

Nothing personal, just a problem with the statement and general approach. It may be accurate in your situation and life experience, but it isn't in mine.
I've seen meek men become giants and perform huge acts of courage and strength, and big burly men bumble and stutter over the simplest of tasks. It's just situation and the events leading up to it. Very well said. Besides, I have a neighbor that has worn the finish off his pistol performing "Taxi Driver" holster drills. He's never shot the weapon. I suggested he buy a trainer, but he believes he's Rambo. Whatever, I just wave when he mowes the yard.

Sorry bout the scratch, but more to come in the future, if you use it like the tool it was made for. Happy shooting!:p

·
Registered
52 Posts
was this from your XD holster?

i was trying mine one night just to see how i actually liked it and it made about 5 scratches thru the black. I dont get it, its plastic how the hell can it scratch the coating?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts