Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shoot it as much as possible, therefore putting many more scratches in it. The first one will be less noticeable.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
guns that get used end up getting scratched.... so unless you plan on keeping the gun in a safe and never shooting it you should just learn to like the scratches and other wear.

or pay over $100 to get it hard chromed, but if each time you get a scratch and you refinish it you will be broke.

best bet is just get used to it. it is a service pistol. scratches on it are ok that just shows you have been using it \

but if you must get it redone then i would get the hard chrome for a silver color and for black i would get IonBond which can be done by springer precision

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Shoot it as much as possible, therefore putting many more scratches in it. The first one will be less noticeable.
It happens... just keep on shooting! :neutral:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am a little different. I get a scratch on anything that cant be fixed to looking new. It will hit the road being replaced by a brand new one. That in tells every thing I own, including cars, trucks and guns.
As you can tell. I am a very picky and clean person. Its call a phobia.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Post up a pic or two of the "scratch". With a little oil and a little time, you'd be surprised at how much of the appearance you may be able to get out if it is just a mild surface scratch on the finish and doesn't gouge into the metal or anything too severe.

You might also try this if it is bugging you that badly:

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL SPRINGFIELD XD

Otherwise...just shoot it. Shooting any firearm regularly will lead to scratches, scuffs, abbrasions, nicks, etc. As long as they don't effect the function of the pistol, its reliability or safety...they won't do you any harm. Remember...guns are not toys (for the most part)...they are tools and with use, they will show wear. It is a badge of honor, not a scarlet letter!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am a little different. I get a scratch on anything that cant be fixed to looking new. It will hit the road being replaced by a brand new one. That in tells every thing I own, including cars, trucks and guns.
And broke...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Try this stuff if it's a Black XD:
Super Black™ Touch-Up Pens
An easy and effective way to touch-up nicks, scratches and worn areas of black anodized aluminum or black painted surfaces. The pen contains a fast drying, lead-free paint with superior adhesion and durability that helps fill in deep scratches or worn areas. These special formulations are for use on highly polished and matte finished alloy gun receivers, trigger guards, scopes, binoculars, cameras, flashlights, fishing reels and other sporting accessories. Use like a marking pen with no mess – simply rub on with “chisel point” felt tip.

Product #DescriptionPriceOrder15101 -BPPSUPER BLACK Touch-Up Pen (Gloss) - 1/3 fl oz $6.90 15102 -BPPFSUPER BLACK Touch-Up Pen (Flat) - 1/3 fl oz $6.90
This stuff works real good. You'll want the Flat Black. Most Sporting Goods Stores carry it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
XDs aren't exactly pretty anyway, I wouldn't worry about a scratch. I'm with the others just shoot/carry it more and you'll forget all about a scratch.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Kimbers are what you show to your friends.
XDs are what you show to your enemies.
+1 to that! The black finish is easily fixed with some of the touch-up pens. If you're horrified by it, you could always send your slide in for refinishing. I'm sure SA could do it for you, and other companies like Wilson Combat offer quality metal finishing.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I just discovered a scratch on my new xd, what can I do to get rid of it???
Scratch it so much you can't see that one. Use it man! Give it the respect it deserves.

BTW, my Kimber SIS has the finish worn off the end.

The fact you use your guns and have a developed level of expertise is what you show your friends. Show me a guy with safe queens and I'll show you a collector, not a shooter.

I bought my son a nice Mauser from Mitchell's for Xmas. I hope he wants to shoot it Christmas Day even though it's collector grade.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I like the few scratches and holster wear my XD45 has. It shows character and "experience". A man has to take a fresh gun from the box and get the "new" off asap. They need to be shot a bunch...broke in...and carried daily. Don't worry about it. If you are that fussy about it you won't run it hard enough and doing tac drills will kill ya. Rippin and rackin without regard for finish...is what wins battles.

Cheers
Mac.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

If you feel it must " hit the road" and you must get rid of it, I could be forced to take it off your hands. I do not feel you will EVER be comfortable with it and it is my civic duty to correct this terrible wrong, Pm me and we can start the healing process.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Post up a pic or two of the "scratch". With a little oil and a little time, you'd be surprised at how much of the appearance you may be able to get out if it is just a mild surface scratch on the finish and doesn't gouge into the metal or anything too severe.

You might also try this if it is bugging you that badly:

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL SPRINGFIELD XD

Otherwise...just shoot it. Shooting any firearm regularly will lead to scratches, scuffs, abbrasions, nicks, etc. As long as they don't effect the function of the pistol, its reliability or safety...they won't do you any harm. Remember...guns are not toys (for the most part)...they are tools and with use, they will show wear. It is a badge of honor, not a scarlet letter!!
I agree 100%!!! I would also like to know how you got the scratch(s)??? Melonite is a very tough finish. Many many things are softer than your finish and are actually "rub" marks not scratches. Case in point, when I got my first XD the only holster I had was the one that came with it. I was wearing it around the house. I unholsted it to admire it and I noticed what I thought were "scratches." Yeah, I freaked!!! They had come from the rivet on my jeans. I found out that the copper had just rubbed off on the gun as the Melonite is harder than the copper rivets!!! Like ORD said with a little cleaning solution and some elbow grease they came off. Hope this helps!!! If it is a scratch try some of the other suggestions and good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts