Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking at scopes for my flat top. How much scope is too much for a carbine? I like the EOs and such but I'm leaning towards a red-dot magnifier like the Trijicon or an aimpoint.

My question is how much magnification is overkill for a 16" barrel?

I want as much magnification as I can without being laughed at.

·
Registered
408 Posts
youll have to be careful with going for too much mag because the hi-mag scopes get pretty big and dont like to be dropped scope-down.

That being said, the ludicrously expensive ACOG (trijicon) is a bad a$$ gunsight if you know how to use it. I can put 9/10 "man-targets" down at 500m (no wind, no bench, prone) and shoot 50(out of)50 on a CMP course with it, both eyes open, all headshots in the Tbox.
Oh and you can drop it scope down and it probably wont break, maybe even run it over with the vehicle of your choice. the gun will probly break first, lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the ACOG style scope. Like a Bushnell Trophy or something but I can no way afford a $1300 scope. I'm more in the kiddie-corner $200 range where most of your options are toys. At least that's what I've been told.

So if ya'll know a nice magnifier for the price I would love to hear 'bout it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I do like having some magnification on a carbine - Something in variable powers scopes in the 2x7 or 1x4 power range would be nice. Some people prefer fixed power.

I would say do not go over 4x

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
heres mine lol... $45 from academy.. (its temporary till i buy my 22 rifle, then it goes on that and i take the plunge and buy a better setup for the AR)

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Been looking at scopes for my flat top. How much scope is too much for a carbine? I like the EOs and such but I'm leaning towards a red-dot magnifier like the Trijicon or an aimpoint.

My question is how much magnification is overkill for a 16" barrel?

I want as much magnification as I can without being laughed at.
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a 16" varminter, by all means, put a 10-14x scope on it. But, if you're looking for more...social...applications, I'd say 4x, maybe 6x would be top end.

Remember, however...putting cheap glass on an expensive rifle tends to make it shoot like a cheap rifle. Scopes are very much a category where you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Don't go cheap...I hate it when people drop good money on nice rifles and then get wal-mart see-through rings and Trashco scopes!!!

I have an ACOG...a TA31F. It is a great scope, very durable, 100% reliable and I have taken shots on targets out to 600 with it without a hiccup. That said, I got mine when you could get them for under $1000 which just ain't the case anymore. They are not cheap and they certainly are not for everyone.

If you want a really good variable power scope for a carbine/flattop, look at the Burris XTR (Xtreme Tactical Rifle) scopes. The 1-4x24 is an excellent scope, good glass, durable and reliable. It also has a 5.56 reticle. They can be had for around $550 if you shop around. Here is a link to one on SWFA:

Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope

If you want to go a little higher-end, they also make a model with a Burris Fastfire red dot mounted on the top of the rear ring. This model is around $725 or so, but includes the Fastfire AND the XTR heavy-duty rings.

Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scopehttp://www.swfa.com/pc-12454-591-burris-1-4x24-xtreme-tactical-xtr-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey Boomer,

That scope is mounted incorrectly! Your non free float fore grip should not be used as a mounting point for the front of your scope. First of all, the foregrip can move, ruining accuracy. Secondly, it will probably place undue stress on the scope which is now acting like a buttress between two separate parts.

You did this because you need the scope forward for proper eye relief. You would be better served with a LaRue tactical LT-104 mount which will allow you to attach only to the flattop rail and it will cantilever the scope forward for proper eye relief.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you really want high magnification, you will have to go beyond the close quarter combat scopes you mentioned. How much magnification depends on your age, vision, and steadiness. As you get past 40 years, the extra magnification really helps past 100 yards at the range. Too much mag will reduce the field of view (tunnel vision) and make it harder to hold steady. For me, anything above 10X is a waste. Also a big eye piece can interfere with a folded rear BUIS.

This is my RRA Varmint with a Leupold 3.5-10X40 on a LaRue tactical LT-104 (for 1" tubes) with ARMS 40-L rear BUIS. The 40mm eye piece clears the low profile BUIS with 2mm to spare. I got a 1" tube scope because I can replace it at any one of 5 local stores, whereas a 30mm tube scope would be special order. The LT-104 raises and forward cantilevers the scope for proper eye relief and cheek weld. The mount has quick detach levers that allow for rapid conversion to BUIS's if needed, with reliable return to zero.

P.S. Nobody has laughed at it yet

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Millett DMS-1

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hey Boomer,

That scope is mounted incorrectly! Your no free float fore grip should not be used as a mounting point for the front of your scope. First of all, the foregrip can move, ruining accuracy. Secondly, it will probably place undue stress on the scope which is now acting like a buttress between two separate parts.

You did this because you need the scope forward for proper eye relief. You would be better served with a LaRue tactical LT-104 mount which will allow you to attach only to the flattop rail and it will cantilever the scope forward for proper eye relief.

actually its only a temp mount for the time behing, i'm gonna be ordering something similar to the larue from YHM. i just dont want to loose track of the scope, risers, and rings.. it hasnt gone to the range like that.

cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Nice to get some feedback. I like the idea of the Burris (ORD). That's probably the direction I will go.

Yeah it sucks having to drop mad cash on a scope, but I don't want to be THAT guy. (The one with the trashco). Guess I'll just save up the overtime from the holidays. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Don't go cheap...I hate it when people drop good money on nice rifles and then get wal-mart see-through rings and Trashco scopes!!!
Freakin A I agree!!!!!!!!!! I've always said that. You can't hit crap with that expensive rifle if you don't have good glass. It will take longer to zero, it won't hold zero, etc.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
+1 for the Millet DMS-1 and get a set of arms #22 throw lever rings and you will be set to go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts