Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you had 150 bucks max to spend on a red dot for an AR 15, which would you buy? or would you buy iron sights?

the gun is a "what if the shtf" gun...granted, i'd like to spend more on a red dot, but can't.

please make a suggestion for me!

Merry Christmas all!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm with him... Spot MkIII has had lots of good reviews.

Other options might be a Tasco ProPoint 1x32 or the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. These are a little more for "sporting" rifles, but my SKS (which is my SHTF weapon of choice) carries a ProPoint 1x32mm on it and it's worked great for me. Holds zero no problem, rifle shoots to the dot every time, it stays on and doesn't flicker.

joe

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
MkIII I'm thinking about seliing off both my aimpoints and replacing them with MKIIIs

Seriously though don't limit your self but rather start small and upgrade later when funds are available

·
Registered
240 Posts
You will be happier with Iron's. I had a MKIII and could never keep it on target. The recoil and impact seemed to jostle the site around. The iron sights don't need batteries.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I have one of these on order with SWFA, I'll give you a report when it comes in. This scope has been given great reviews on this site and at ar15.com

Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight

• Matte
  • Red/Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Comes w/ Extra High Ring
Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight

SWFA: $129.95
Another "thumbs up" for Vortex Strikefire. I have one I just bought and mounted. Went to the range this weekend and sighted it in. Works great so far and the dot is clear and bright. My current irons cowitness right through it with the X-high mount.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another "thumbs up" for Vortex Strikefire. I have one I just bought and mounted. Went to the range this weekend and sighted it in. Works great so far and the dot is clear and bright. My current irons cowitness right through it with the X-high mount.
Thanks Tally XD

Glad to hear the positive report. My Stag Mod 2 has the Midwest flip up rear and standard post front sights and was told the Strikefire will cowitness just fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tally XD Does your StrikeFire have the on/off switch on the top or left side? Mine has it on the left side and it doesn't take much pressure to turn on so when I zip my AR up in my padded tactical case it turns the unit on. I have to take the battery out when I put it in the case. Not very convinent. :(

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts