Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
As many of you know I recently purchased an m&P flat top AR 15. I have a nice Truglo score with a multi colored redical and bullet compensation which I would like to use for distance target shooting 100 - 200 yards. However, the gun is so light at the moment I am torn to put a scope on it which will weight it down. Should I install a red dot or holographic sight instead? Also does anyone know a good brand of flip up sights? I know s&w uses Troy, are they of a good quality or are they terribly overpriced. Thank you for your help in advance.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think a little bit of it depends on how much you are looking to spend. A lot of people have gotten eotechs for not all that much (I'm sure there's a number that have gotten them for $350 or less). If that's a route you want to take you can always add a 3x magnifier later. It seems that for that distance a lot of people like eotechs and aimpoints. If you're looking at spending less than that there are a number of red dots that would probably do the trick, but they won't be as good out at distances.

As far as sights, it seems Troy has set the bar. They are good and they are expensive. Whether or not they're worth the extra expense is up to you. A.R.M.S. and Midwest Industries also make quality stuff with Yankee Hill Machine seeming to be toward the bottom of the quality foodchain (not to say they totally suck, the other stuff is just higher quality). Are you going with a flip up front sight or are you sticking with the FSB?

Personally, I'm hanging onto the FSB and will likely go with the ARMS 40L rear BUIS. It gets good reviews, it's easier to adjust than the troy (you can decide whether that's good or bad), and it's less expensive.

Where are you located at? I thought I was the only crazy one up this late... then again I'm a college student that's been workin on a huge freakin paper all night.

Edit: as far as sight... I guess I should have mentioned, it depends on what you want to do with it. What do you want your AR to do for you?

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
I have Midwest Industries (MI) one my AR, dead accurate. Are you getting fronts too or using a fixed post? I'd like to recommend the HK style of front sights whether you go MI or Troy. What ive noticed its much easier to line up the target in the rear aperature because youre basically centering a circle within a circle. M4 style isnt as fast to me.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I put an EOTech on my XCR and a 3x magnifier behind when I need to reach out a little farther .This combo works well for me.I want to buy flip sights too,and the MI and the Troy sights seem to be the best bets to me.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I like my Eotech 512AA + Eotech 3x Magnifier FTS + Troy Battle Sights ...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hi Everyone,
As many of you know I recently purchased an m&P flat top AR 15. I have a nice Truglo score with a multi colored redical and bullet compensation which I would like to use for distance target shooting 100 - 200 yards. However, the gun is so light at the moment I am torn to put a scope on it which will weight it down. Should I install a red dot or holographic sight instead? Also does anyone know a good brand of flip up sights? I know s&w uses Troy, are they of a good quality or are they terribly overpriced. Thank you for your help in advance.
MI makes a decent set that are practically the same thing and are a bit cheaper

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I got troy. Have not tried anything else. I was once told "buy once, cry once". The Troy sights are really nice, but kinda pricey.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I personally wouldn't feel uncomfortable using the MI sights, they are pretty much Troy Battle Sights with a different name. Both are good products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For sub 100m work I use an EOTech, 3x mag and Troy Dioptic Sights (very quick on target with these). That said, I had to work up to these and have used many other sights until I could afford more expensive optics.

MI and Yankee Hill make good BUIS and you can't go wrong with an FSB and some ARMS sights. Primary Arms makes some really good, inexpensive import red dots which I have used for 2"-3" MOA and was dead on at 25-50m. However, I do believe in "Buy Once, Cry Once" when it comes to optics. You'll waste ammo, wondering why you're not hitting the bull or throwing brass downrange for the sake of plinking with your buddies. But if you want to do some precision shooting, it comes down to trigger, barrel and good optics.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
This is a fun thread to read read when 8 years ago there were less options and EOTECH hadn't been put on blast yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts