Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to hunt deer with a revolver. I don't have the funds for a long-barreled revolver at this time. I have a Ruger Alaskan in .454. Is it possible to have a gunsmith mount a scope to it? I have no idea. I'm also concerned that a scope would break from the muzzle blast being so close (short barrel).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not sure about were you live but around here there are minimum barrel length requirements. I believe it is no less than 6" might be different were you live. I would probably look into it before you mount a scope.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm good, it's a pretty sweet law: Under legal implements for big game hunting - "Handgun—Any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length may not exceed 16 inches. Note: Nonresidents may not use handguns to hunt in New York."

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
First, awesome gun, I have it and carry it when on week long stints out in the wilderness. HOWEVER that being said. Get a different gun. True the Alaskan is a 2.5" barrel, but several ruger forum members have done some chrono data that the average load only loses @300FPS (some as low as 175FPS)out of the 2.5" barrel compared to the 7.5" barrel, which is still up there at taking down dangerous game. But the scope question is pretty much out of the question. Link to said chrono data found here : RugerForum.com :: View topic - 454 Alaskan Chrono data

A) the front sight on the alaskan is not easily removable and to scope it you need to remove it.
B) on almost every SRH scope "mount" I have seen, they all stick past the frame a good 0.75" or so, which is where your barrel ends as well.
C) the Alaskan does not have the scope mounts pre cut into it, so you would have to have them be machined, and have a front screw hole added for the scope mount or use the rings directly on the frame after you mod it, either way, any mount/ scope ring combo I have seen requires this pair of notches.
D) talk about a awkward to carry rig if you did scope it... just check out this photo then hack off the barrel at the frame to get a visual, photo via google, yes it is just a 44mag, but the size of the revolver is still the same.

Seriously I would pick up another rig for the hunt or even borrow one from a friend. The Alaskan is a great backwoods defensive piece as it was designed, and mine will be on me this hunt in a few weeks, backup to the 1895 45-70. If you do want to hunt with it (as some have as noted on rugerforums), do it with irons and save yourself the hassle and screwing up a great little gun.

EDIT to add, I just returned from the range about 3 hours ago where I let a few people shoot the 454 Alaskan and 460 S&W. Only one guy actually wanted to shoot the Alaksan, it looked like his wrist broke shooting it with the Buffalo bore 325gr bullets. I told him it was a handfull, and he took it pretty well, but he told me he didnt want to do that again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, awesome gun, I have it and carry it when on week long stints out in the wilderness. HOWEVER that being said. Get a different gun. True the Alaskan is a 2.5" barrel, but several ruger forum members have done some chrono data that the average load only loses @300FPS (some as low as 175FPS)out of the 2.5" barrel compared to the 7.5" barrel, which is still up there at taking down dangerous game. But the scope question is pretty much out of the question. Link to said chrono data found here : RugerForum.com :: View topic - 454 Alaskan Chrono data

A) the front sight on the alaskan is not easily removable and to scope it you need to remove it.
B) on almost every SRH scope "mount" I have seen, they all stick past the frame a good 0.75" or so, which is where your barrel ends as well.
C) the Alaskan does not have the scope mounts pre cut into it, so you would have to have them be machined, and have a front screw hole added for the scope mount or use the rings directly on the frame after you mod it, either way, any mount/ scope ring combo I have seen requires this pair of notches.
D) talk about a awkward to carry rig if you did scope it... just check out this photo then hack off the barrel at the frame to get a visual, photo via google, yes it is just a 44mag, but the size of the revolver is still the same.

Seriously I would pick up another rig for the hunt or even borrow one from a friend. The Alaskan is a great backwoods defensive piece as it was designed, and mine will be on me this hunt in a few weeks, backup to the 1895 45-70. If you do want to hunt with it (as some have as noted on rugerforums), do it with irons and save yourself the hassle and screwing up a great little gun.

EDIT to add, I just returned from the range about 3 hours ago where I let a few people shoot the 454 Alaskan and 460 S&W. Only one guy actually wanted to shoot the Alaksan, it looked like his wrist broke shooting it with the Buffalo bore 325gr bullets. I told him it was a handfull, and he took it pretty well, but he told me he didnt want to do that again.
Good advise. Thanks. I just didn't want to be logical. I wanted to believe there had to be a way. oh well. I do love the gun, it's quite a fun piece at the range. I carry it for moose and bear defense. I like the Speer 300grain the best, but also carry the buffalo 425 grain sometimes.

I might see how accurate I am with Iron sights and what my range is, then take it out into the woods (with earplugs). Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Anything can be done you would probably end up with a picatiny rail installed high enough to clear the sight etc. For those who cannot imagine you would take a thick rail and mill the botom to fit the contour necesary to fit on the top strap and mount it with several screws. It might need to be clearance for the sight as well then just use whatever rings to give you the necesary clearance. The big problem will be burning the botom of the scope

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I hate to suggest selling a gun, but is there something that you do with the alaskan that you either can't or don't want to do with a 7.5" Super Redhawk? If you have to, you might sell the alaskan and buy the other. with the sight radius of the bigger SR, you may not even need a scope. a lot of people hunt deer using handguns with open sights.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to suggest selling a gun, but is there something that you do with the alaskan that you either can't or don't want to do with a 7.5" Super Redhawk? If you have to, you might sell the alaskan and buy the other. with the sight radius of the bigger SR, you may not even need a scope. a lot of people hunt deer using handguns with open sights.
Can't you see I'm in denial to the very end!? Don't go making sense! I'm never selling my baby!

I agree, although I really like the alaskan for defensive use in the woods. Therefore, maybe a new purchase in my future will be the answer.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
2.5 with a scope...IMHO that would look way too funny looking and the Alaskan is what it was made for Fend off a Bear's...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts