Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After alot of research I've decided to buy the Burris Fullfield TAC30 as my entry level scope for competing. I will be mounting this on my flat top AR which has the standard A2 fixed front sight. So it will have to be 1.5+\- inch tall to keep the front sight out the scope view.
I'm trying to decide which brand of scope ring/mount to use. I've looked at alot of them but I'm not sure what's ideal. Honestly this is all new to me. I'm guessing quality scope rings/mounts are just as important as the scope its self or so I would think. But maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...
So far if I think I'm on the right track I've found a handful to select from but I'm open to options and suggestions.
Here are the brands I'm looking at so far...
Larue
JP
American Defense MFG
Burris REPR

·
Registered
155 Posts
No matter how good the scope if the mount is bad you wasted a lot of money on the optic. Mounts = very important.

Your list is good. I know a lot of people on this board will say Larue. I'd also check out A.R.M.S. Most of their stuff is quick release rings, mounts, etc. Not sure if you are looking for that option or not.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Yea I've looked at them. Might add them to the list.
I was thinking though if the rings are mounted on a solid platform verses individually that they would offer a higher level of rigidness that individual rings would lack due to the fact there not tied together but independent. But then again I guess the flat top rail is now tie between them when they are mounted...
Hummm anyone have anything to add or offer on the matter?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
At any magnification level of about 3x or higher, you will never see the front sight, anyway. Your mount only has to be high enough so the objective end of the scope clears the rails.

If you don't forsee the need for a quick-disconnect feature, I would go with the PEPR. That's what I have on my 6.8SPC hunting AR.

If you do want the QD feature, try Larue, ADM, or Bobro. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from ARMS, but that has more to do with the Jerkwad running the company than the merchandise.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For a few less dollars Larue is now offering an option to their QD mounts that they call their VFZ mount. For example, I recently purchased for my 6.8 SPC build project their LT104 mount for $145 - it runs $195 with the QD mounts.

As a dedicated hunting rifle I have no BUIS, and do not intend to be removing the 3-9X40 Trijicon AccuPoint that will ride atop it, so the more permanent VFZ mount works just fine for me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Larue LT-104 for QD, I like mine, wouldn't mind trying the Bobro, or the PEPR QD when they become available for probably a much friendlier price.
For a dedicated mount that's inexpensive, I went with a YHM riser and 1" Weaver Tac rings. This is on my 6.8 18" Mega Monolithic upper/Defender lower (for now).
Good shopping!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the Tac30 on my M&P. I mounted it in the Burris PEPR, it is a really nice combination.
Just so you know you don't need to get the scope above the front sight, at the 4x magnification you really cant see the front sight in the view, and at the 1x it is possible to make it co witness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts