Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first 308 AR and I am looking forward to getting out with it. Currently it is a bare bones flattop with a railed gas block so optic choices are pretty open. For now I would prefer to not drop a few hundred on quality glass just yet so I was looking at this Brunton scope to get me by for a bit

MidwayUSA - Brunton NRA Sports Optics Target Series Rifle Scope 6-24x 50mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte with Free One-Year NRA Membership

Anyone have any experience with this scope or manufacturer? Can't say I am familiar with them. I kind of figure at worst it is a free 1 year membership for the NRA:eek:

Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Why buy a nice rifle and put a crap scope on it? You get what you pay for.Leupold or Nikon are nice scopes.Spend the money now or end up spending more later.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That P.O.S. would not get near my high-dollar .308 semi rifle! I completely agree with Riflemanz on this one. Why would you spend $1,500 or so on a rifle capable of MOA-or-better accuracy and then wuss out and put a $75 scope on it (that isn't worth half that). The only one of these scope I have seen and used myself was on a friends AR-15 with a 20" bull-barreled varmint upper from RRA and this scope would absolutely NOT hold a zero (nor would its replacement from Brunton).

You can go cheap...but you'll only regret it later when you end up having wasted $75 now and you have to spend the money later to make it right.

Rather than breaking out the shovels and throwing crap on this scope and your question...let's go this route:

1) what is your intended purpose for your new DPMS LR-308? (and include the specific model, barrel length, etc.);

2) what is the max range you intend to use this rifle/scope setup for?

3) do you want a variable power scope or would you consider a fixed power?

4) what is your max budget on optics at this point for this rifle (I know you said you didn't want to "drop a few hundred on quality glass just yet" in your OP)?

You don't have to spend $1,000 to have a good scope for this rifle, but you are going to have to shell out more than $200 to get anything that is worth owning and that will hold up under the recoil of a semi-auto 308.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough, the general consensus is this probably won't hold a zero which is obviously a concern with the 308.

The DPMS is a 308T, 16" barrel. All shooting should be under 300 yds, mostly for whitetail and target shooting possibly some mule deer. But mostly just putting holes in paper.

I would prefer a variable power scope just because there can potentially be quite a difference in shooting yardages depending on where I am hunting around here.

Edit: and to add a price range I would like to keep it under $300. This scope before being on clearance was around $200 so that is why I had looked at it.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Try looking at some Nikon scopes.

I've been real happy with their glass. pretty darn clear too.

Should be able to get a good nikon in that price range.

Look at the Monarch series

Also the Buckmaster series

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Consider the DMS-1 or TRS-1 from Millett. They are a moderately priced scope that should handle the recoil of the .308. I picked up the DMS-1 a few months back to see what the hub bub was all about with it. I'm very pleased with it, so much that I went looking for the TRS for my Mod12 Mk1 clone. Found it "used" and also found a LaRue mount "used" for a total of $400 in the package.

The DMS is 1-4x and the TRS is 4-16x

TRS

DMS

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Okay...here goes.

I understand your desire for a variable power scope and I agree with you for the most part. Higher mag is great for punching holes in paper and you can turn it down for hunting or closer range work.

For around $300, I would suggest the following as very good options for your rifle and stated purposes:

1) Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 Duplex Reticle - $279.99
MidwayUSA - Leupold VX-I Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte

2) Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 AO Multi-X Reticle - $308.99 (this would be my choice for your stated price range unless you want to spend a little more an increase your magnification)
MidwayUSA - Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Adjustable Objective Multi-X Reticle Matte

3) if you want to spend just a few dollars more, the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 AO Multi-X Reticle - $328.99
MidwayUSA - Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope 5-15x 40mm Adjustable Objective Multi-X Reticle Matte
or, if you will consider any excellent fixed power scopes:

1) The Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Scope - $299.95
Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope

or

2) Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x40 Mil-dot Reticle - $208.99 (this scope is currently being shipped on the Barret M99A1 .50BMG package rifles and is well-regarded as one of the finest entry-level scopes for the big .50BMG. I have used on on a Barrett and I was impressed with the scope in all regards).

MidwayUSA - Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope 10x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

Again, these are about your best options without going into a higher price range. Each and every one of these scopes I listed will serve you well on your LR-308 and will not crash and burn like the Brunton. They are all solidly build scopes from manufacturers with a reputation for quality, dependability and customer service.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Lots of great choices here...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, a ton of great responses in very little time!

Just for that, I bought a Club Membership! :lol: I'll start looking at the options you guys supplied

·
Registered
368 Posts
As a photographer I'm constantly amazed at how much people will pay for a camera body and then throw cheap glass on it. A typical pro photographer will have around about $30K+ in photo gear with lenses alone being about 50%-70% of the total.

I'm looking to get a DPMS rifle as well (LR-243) and am looking into optics for it. I have a Leupold 6x24 mil*dot that cost, about $650 new some 6 years ago for my Busmaster Varminter and figure on being able to swap it over to the DPMS for longer range shooting but for closer in I'm thinking about getting an 4X ACOG with the red*dot combo -- that puppy will set me back close to $1400 by itself.

Brian

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I love the ACOGs...I have a TA31F on one of my AR's...but sadly it would be about $900-1000 out of the OP's listed price range. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An ACOG is a little out of my price range to say the least.

Thanks ORD for posting those two fixed power scopes, the Super sniper and the Bushnell. I really like the look of the bushnell so maybe I need to include it as an option. Hopefully I can find one around here to look at and see how I like it.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
An ACOG is a little out of my price range to say the least.

Thanks ORD for posting those two fixed power scopes, the Super sniper and the Bushnell. I really like the look of the bushnell so maybe I need to include it as an option. Hopefully I can find one around here to look at and see how I like it.
Sure thing. I think that you will be pleased with any of the scopes that I and others have mentioned. I don't have any first-hand experience with the Millet scopes, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have used all of the Bushnells I posted about, as well as the Super Sniper (SS) scope in 10x and 20x. The only reservation I would have if I were you in going with a fixed 10x scope is your stated purpose of wanting to hunt with the rifle. A fixed 10x can be a little too much power for shorter range shots, particularly if you are hunting in wooded or dense vegetation areas. It is nice to be able to turn the power down to 3x, 4x or so to give yourself a wider field of view, etc...particularly with any shots on moving targets in that kind of setting.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Probably one of the best, most over-looked "budget" scopes out there is the Mueller 3-10x44 Tac II. At a cost of ~$250, it fits your requirements perfectly. I have one on a 6.5 Grendel and it is an extrememly nice scope.

I am also a fan of the Millett TRS-1 as has been mentioned. The only issue I have with it is that it uses 1/8 MOA clicks instead of the more normal 1/4 MOA. That's not a problem if you sight in the rifle and never mess with the dials again (which you can do shooting less than 300 yards), but when you're shooting long range and dialing-in drop and wind dope, it gets to be a real pain (twice the clicks for the same change).

I also have one of the fixed 10x Bushnells and it is a GREAT scope (it does lack paralax adjustment, though). You can pick one up easily for ~$175 and it is WELL worth the money. If most of your shooting is going to be 300 yards or less, you may find a 10x to be a bit much... Unless you're just punching paper, then higher is better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'll +1 the Millets I've got a

Millett 4-16x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

On order for my bolt gun...

The reason I went with the Millet is due to a buddy of mine that bought one at a gun show and mounted it on his M1A The glass is crystal clear its a true Mil-dot reticle and for the price its outstanding... Will it complete with a Nightforce or a higher end Leupold, maybe I'd have to do a side by side against it to see, but for me it was the price point I was willing to spend for a good scope to replace an old 3-9x40 that was sitting on the rifle when I bought it.

Also the above site is probably the best place to find optics as far as price goes. They also do open box items at a deeper discount but selection is kind of limited go to thesamplelist.com same great people to work with just lower prices.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably one of the best, most over-looked "budget" scopes out there is the Mueller 3-10x44 Tac II. At a cost of ~$250, it fits your requirements perfectly. I have one on a 6.5 Grendel and it is an extrememly nice scope.
Thanks Hooz,

I started browsing the Mueller site, I noticed their 4-16x50 AO. Are you familar with that model?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts