Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to dust off my Ruger M77 MkII 30-06 that I have had since I was 15 and brand new. Heck of a 15th BD present. At the time I was broke, hunting Idaho brush and star thistle so my Dad just popped on an old cheap Tasco Silver Antler 4x30 scope on it so if I dropped it or banged it it was just a cheap pos scope.

Next year I am able to apply for early disabked hunting privalages and will be hunting north of Spokane in more wide open flat country. I started shopping for scopes and have it narrowed down to a few.

Redfield Revolution 3x9x50 $199 and they will toss in free waever style dual screw scope rings and bore site it. and I was told Redfield is made in the Leupold Factory in Oregon. I really like the look and feel of it, and the large objective works well with my wonky eyes.

Scope number 2 is an Alpen Kodiak 3x9x40. $80 and I'd have to pay for rings and boresiting. It looks and feels as cheap as my current tasco but has a killer warranty.

Scope #3 is a Weaver Kaspa 3x9x50 at $188 free rings and bore sighting.

My budget is around the $200 mark out the door. The rifle has only been shot enough to sight in my current scope 19 years ago and my deer I got in 1999. And know if I spend the money it juatvadds value to the rifle. I so not plan on parting with the rifle it will be passed on to family when it is time to stop.

I am just happy to have the opportunity to start hunting again, out here on the flood plane the deer are tiny and the Elk tags are drawn and I have yet to get one.

Any help would be beneficial or if anyone knows a better deal, bang for the buck (bad pun I know) let me know.

Budget $200
open range, light brush, early morning late evening hunting
Duplex rectile or better
Good warranty
Shock absorbing, will be hunting via motorcycle or quad and light hiking.
Are my needs.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I personally like the Nikon 3x9 with BDC reticle. Amazon has a good price for scope and rings. Your Dad must have loved you very much.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IMO, there are few good deals on good glass. A $200 scope will get you by but treat it harshly, it won't last. I learned this long ago. Spend a bit of $$ for high end glass, it will never let you down. My min is the Leup VXIII or Zeiss Conq on anything bigger than a 22lr.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I personally like the Nikon 3x9 with BDC reticle. Amazon has a good price for scope and rings. Your Dad must have loved you very much.
Growing up hunting was big with our family it meant we could have a great winter. He originally bought the identical rifle used in left hand for my older brother who after killing his first deer and learned you kill it, you gut it, skin it and drag it back to the truck. He abandoned hunting after that and didn't want to ever do it again, and wrecking his hunting motorcycle was the final nail in the coffin for it. So he traded it for a right hand model new for me since the 243 I was carrying was getting passed to my sister and had a cut down stock that fit her perfectally and I looked like an ogre holding a tooth pick with it.
I hunted 3 years with it, before we moved tonthe coast, i missed the biggest white tail buck i had ever seen with it. Full non typical rack past its shoulders tines going everywhere. We spooked him, so we spilt up and i caught up to him and he was only 25 yards or less from me, i wasn't thinking, scoped him saw nothing but hair, and shoulder, touched off and watched the buck easily climb the face of a hill in 2 hops and was gone, i had shot right over the top of him, scope was sighted in at 100 yards. Its been a great Thanksgiving story for years when someone wants to poke fun at me, not only was it the biggest I had ever seen, but our hunting friends had tracked that deer for years and had never been closer then 500 yards from him. We had seen him years before but he was nonwhere near that size. And sadly no one ever did. About 4 years later a friend that stillnhunted that area found him dead of old age, missing half his rack.

I looked at the Nikon and itbis exactally perfect for my needs. Since I am going from brush and close range, to open long range the BDC rectile will help hunting flat open land when I will continue hunting and hopefully bring one home.

Another bonus is i qualified for disabled hunt early so I can put in for that, normal hunt and late hunt, so hopefully I can get one, i really miss having venison in the freezer.

Thanks for the tip on the Nikon.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I'm gonna suggest a cheap scope that will probably get some hate. But has been on my slug gun for 10 years give or take. The bushnell dusk til dawn scopes. They're less then a 100 bucks mine has stood up to shotgun slug recoil all this time, and it brings in a good amount of light in for the morn of at night.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the advantage of a sale at Cabellas for their card holders tonight and snagged a Redfield Battlezone TAC Moa 3x9x42 with some Leupold Scope rings. (Forgot Ruger M77 had proprietary mounts ouch) I was able to pick up the scope for $149 $75 off normal price, and the rings for another $55. My medium standard rings just were not tall enough and my bolt would drag across the eyepiece. ( I should be able to sell my old rings to recoup the new ones on eBay or somewhere else) Got to say night and day difference over amy old cheap Tasco scope. Another bonus, the tall scope rings actually got rid of me having to crick my neck to keep from getting the black halo in the scope. I am stoked to head to the outdoor range this next weekend.

After looking at the Nikon's and Weavers in person at Cabellas I just didn't like the way they felt, and how the adjustment felt for the power setting, and mostly the weight of them compared to each other. All 3 had similar warranties so that wasn't a factor.

The Nikon with the BDC made my eyes lose focus on the center cross hair with all the bubbles on the rectiles. Unless in spent $230 plus Nikon didn't have the fast focus ring, and its power selector at least on the display model was loose and sloppy at best.

The Weaver, no matter how hard I tried in could not get it to focus to my eyes right, either the crosshairs were in focus or the object was focused. The power selector was extremely stiff and felt like it had sand in it. Sad to see Weaver do this route my dads got an old Weaver from the 60s that's still going strong today.

The Redfield that I picked up the focus ring is easy to use and not to snug but not loose so it stays put. Even the power selector the grip is nice and the adjustment is smooth yet tight. The way the rectile is designed naturally draws my eyes to center even with the graduated hash marks, how it tapers from a heavy line outward, to a medium line, down to a nice thin hair line with the graduated hash marks.

I must of looked at 20 different scopes priced from $125-$225 and have to say the Redfield fits the bill for best quality and design for the money, and having its roots in the Leupold plant doesn't hurt either.

Its going to be mondo overkill for what I will ever use it for, it almost makes my hunting rifle look like a sniper rifle now. Will report back in after its sighted in about what I think of it, possibly in a new thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts