Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm beginning to think I have incompatible goals.

I want a compensator that reduces muzzle flip.

I want a flash hider that reduces night-time blast.

I still want reduced noise, but I don't want to get a tax stamp.

So far, all I can come up with is something like this Griffin Armament Compensator:

M4SD 5.56 Tactical Compensator 1 2x28

Has anyone ever tried this? Does it live up to its claims?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
839 Posts
can't school you on much...but I have a RRA Tactical Muzzle Brake on my rifle and it does a great job...one word of warning, it is LOUD if you off to the immediate sides of the thing though. Look down the list a bit, it's a good deal for only $35.

Rock River Arms Muzzle Devices

I have a Smith-Vortex on my 7' AR pistol and it does a superb job of taming that fireball it was throwing.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I think this will only address the muzzle flip.

I don't think it will reduce flash and it will likely increase noise from the shooter's perspective.

Add one of those "silencers" they advertise on teh bottom of the linked page and then you'll get less noise, but the flip will return.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
to reduce flip, gasses has to vent up right?
to reduce sound, it has to slow down before it vents right?
slow gasses wont push as hard when venting up.
im thinking you might have to choose one, competent compensation, or quiet?
but thats my $0.02

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to reduce flip, gasses has to vent up right?
to reduce sound, it has to slow down before it vents right?
slow gasses wont push as hard when venting up.
im thinking you might have to choose one, competent compensation, or quiet?
but thats my $0.02
Well, those are my questions, too, but it seems like the Griffin claims to do both...or I'm not reading it correctly. Has anyone tried one?

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
In my experience when they claim to do both they do neither very well. With my latest I planned on using the bird cage that came with and learning to control recoil myself
but they threw in their (BCM) mod 0 comp for free. They claim it does both but I can't tell. If you want quiet there really is only one way to go.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You have a 7 foot AR PISTOL? :razz:
LOL...whoops...

I had the RRA comp on my rifle, then switched to a Vortex...then back to the RRA. The RRA comp does a good job of settling the rifle down when using a bench, not so sure about standing. Figuring there's really no flip when resting, I'd say the rifle stays put better with the RRA comp on it, followup shots are quicker through a scope.

...again...that's only my opinion so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL...whoops...

I had the RRA comp on my rifle, then switched to a Vortex...then back to the RRA. The RRA comp does a good job of settling the rifle down when using a bench, not so sure about standing. Figuring there's really no flip when resting, I'd say the rifle stays put better with the RRA comp on it, followup shots are quicker through a scope.

...again...that's only my opinion so take it for what its worth.
Thanks for that. I'm still doing my due diligence on this whole category of what to stick on the end of the rifle. The A2 I have on there now is pretty much fine, I just want to see if I can get some general performance improvements without spending an arm or a leg and kissing the gubmint's, err, ring, for permission.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reading your link I think that's just a comp? If you want all of what it claims you will need the can ( and said stamp ) to go along with it.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
What you want really isn't possible. You want sound redirection (not suppression) with flash suppression all without the muzzle climb. Not going to happen without a tax stamp, i'm sorry. in order to manage muzzle climb, the gas has to vent to the atmosphere. that will create an increase in sound as the pressure wave is now on axis. you want the pressure wave to go down range to reduce at the ear pressure. that means the pressure wave has to be as coaxial as possible. A liniar Comp will do that, but goodness gracious great balls of fire! So a flash suppressor and a blast shield from Griffin is about the best you're gonna be able to do. maybe go to a rifle gas length barrel to reduce bolt speed. but by the time you add all that up you're already in tax stamp/suppressor territory.

An actual sound suppressor is what you want if you want all three (Flash suppression, reduced muzzle climb, and sound reduction).

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I always wanted the YHM one... annihilator or something i'll find it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Did you look into a Noveske Kx3? They are heavy, and fairly long but will reduce recoil substantially and push sound away from you. You said priorities are less muzzle flip, and sound over flag reduction. Well you will get that, but as Knight said, you will blow fireballs out the front. They don't call it the flaming pig for nothing.
This is all in place of a suppressor. That is your obvious choice.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
you can get a HTA Kestrel 556 for $380 at silencer shop. $200 more for a tax stamp and whatever it costs to get it transferred (I found a guy local for $50/transfer) and you're done.

But it's up to you. you know what you can and can't swing, but at least you're now armed with the facts.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Even the best comps that are advertised as "quieter" only bring the noise down closer to flash hider levels. They don't really suppress noise. My BCM comp is billed as a compensator, flash-reducer, and is said to redirect gas so as to be quieter than conventional comps. It is still louder than me A2 birdcage flash hider.

They really do three separate things, and are only good at what they are billed to do. A FH will reduce flash, a comp will reduce muzzle flip and a suppressor will suppress noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Even the best comps that are advertised as "quieter" only bring the noise down closer to flash hider levels. They don't really suppress noise. My BCM comp is billed as a compensator, flash-reducer, and is said to redirect gas so as to be quieter than conventional comps. It is still louder than me A2 birdcage flash hider.

They really do three separate things, and are only good at what they are billed to do. A FH will reduce flash, a comp will reduce muzzle flip and a suppressor will suppress noise.

well, no, a suppressor will do all three, actually.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yep, and actually better than a component can do at it's specific job.

In other words, it will kill flash better than most flash suppressors, and it will reduce recoil better than most conpensators. The suppressor was designed for these tasks. On a special forces job, a quiet gun offers no advantage if the bad guy can see a flame shooting out of the muzzle. The suppressor was designed not to be seen or heard.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Really? Well consider me educated...I don't know much about suppressors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts