Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever heard of them? they make a compact carry 9mm. my buddy found one and was curious if i knew anything so i figured id ask you guys.

SCCY Industries

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. i guess a bunch of them are in a local pawn shop for under $300. may be worth a shot at that price.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There have been a few threads about it... and Hickock45 did a review on one.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
When I took my CCW class one of the guys had one but could not shoot it well. The instructor shot it and flinched terribly. He said the recoil was comparable to a .40 and it recoiled up and to the right on a right handed shooter. If you shop around you can find an M&P Shield for about $100 more. It might be OK for a cheap gun but you get what you pay for. The fact that guys pulled out of Kel-Tec tells you a lot. It might be one of the better guns in its class but for a little more money you get a much better gun.

·
Registered
828 Posts
anyone ever heard of them? they make a compact carry 9mm. my buddy found one and was curious if i knew anything so i figured id ask you guys.

SCCY Industries
The Champ nailed the brief history about it being defectors from other gun companies.

Our range has them for rental and I've put probably 200 or so rounds through it next to the other "cheapies" like the Diamondback 9 and the CM9. It was my favorite of the 3.
I had the benefit of the gen 2 so I didn't run into any of the early problems. To be fair, I wasn't shooting anything other than 115gr reloads so I can't attest it's true reliability. It shot where I pointed it and had decent ergonomics. No manual safety and it comes with factory finger groves and a grip extension that actually fit my giant mitts.

Would it replace my P938? No. When he gets the next demo model and sells this one for $175, will I buy it? Probably

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm in the 'get what you pay for' camp on this as well.

You get an ok gun that you won't be happy with for any length of time. Save the extra dough and get a quality firearm.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I agree. I'm surprised I've never owned a Kahr. They used to have a hit/miss reputation, which made me steer clear, but they've gotten better over the years. And their pricing has gotten better too.
Not when the CM9 is out there for under 400!

cool. i guess a bunch of them are in a local pawn shop for under $300. may be worth a shot at that price.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I've shot one. My buddy won one of their compact 9mm's (can't remember the model) in a drawing and it's a nice shooter, but doesn't seem like a great carry gun to me. The grip is very blocky and extremely thick. Some more aesthetic work and I think they'll have a nice firearm, but until the. It doesn't serve a good purpose to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
They released a crappy first gen. That's why they are all over the pawn shops. The second gen may be better, but after the first... Well let's just say I'd buy the redesigned R51 before I bought it.

In case you missed it. I don't have any interest in Sccy products.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I shot two different ones about 3 months ago, not sure what version.

FTE about every third round (New Blazer Brass), and more snap than an XDs 3.3 we also had that day. Not a fan.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
One of their top Execs was a Co-Designer of the KeTec P-11. So of course, the SCCY CPX is basically a P-11 with an external Safety.
Kicks like a mule... Save up an extra $100 (or so) and get a Shield.

Actually... If you are prior military, send Bud's a copy of your DD214 and you can get a Shield for under $310 (cash) or $318 using a card under the "Qualified Professional" program (if they're not sold out).

Reactions: bunk22

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
One of their top Execs was a Co-Designer of the KeTec P-11. So of course, the SCCY CPX is basically a P-11 with an external Safety.
Kicks like a mule... Save up an extra $100 (or so) and get a Shield.

Actually... If you are prior military, send Bud's a copy of your DD214 and you can get a Shield for under $310 (cash) or $318 using a card under the "Qualified Professional" program (if they're not sold out).
I've never owned one, I've shot one, the original model and it did recoil a bit more than your standard small polymer 9mm IMO. I agree with RobzXD, for a little extra, you can get a Shield, a solid gun with a great reputation. I think Academy has them for $379.99 and I've seen them for less on gunbroker.com. Just my .02.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
A friend of mine got a first generation. It blew up in his hand on it's first trip to the range. He had it fixed and sold it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts