Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 9mm xd service 4". i want to get a sc now. can you guys give me opions on a 9 and 40 and why you sugest which ever one you do. thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I recently got a 9mm xd service 4". i want to get a sc now. can you guys give me opions on a 9 and 40 and why you sugest which ever one you do. thanks
I have the 9 service and sub compact. The reason i bought both in 9mm is I never have to worry about two different types of ammo, ammo is cheaper, and gun is more than adequte.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
tough question. you get comparable performance (and price) between between .40 S&W and 9mm +P. of course your looking at the top end of 9mm weights and the bottom of .40 S&W.

Personally, I try not to repeat calibers even in different style of firearms.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
i have the .40sc i love it, would recommend it. carry it every day. my reason for getting it is simply going to make a bigger hole and i dont really care about the increased price to shoot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go with the matching caliber. Your full size 9mm mags will work in the compact version, just in case you ever need a SHTF backup mag. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
What are you going to use it for? Range or personal protection? If for the range, you could go with 9mm for the cheaper ammo. If for personal protection, I would go for the 40S&W for ballistics. If for personal protection, shoot the highest caliber you can accurately.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I enjoy shooting my XD9SC a lot more than the XD40SC I used to own, and that is one less caliber of ammo I have to keep around. If you're going to start buying into the 40 is bigger than 9 arguments, you should get a 45. No wait, a S&W 500! No, a shotgun! For self defense, shot placement and familiarity are the key. If you can't place the shot, having a 40 or 45 isn't going to help you any, despite all the internet theories. Rule #1 in a gunfight is still - have a gun.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i got rid of a ruger 9mm in exchange for a sc.40 and i wouldnt get rid of it for the world
in fact me getting my springfield renewed my total interest in guns since for some reason the ruger did nothing for me it was "just a gun"
now ive picked up a beretta model 1934 .380 a kel tec .380 and a h&r .22lr and am getting ready to order a saiga 7.62 and a mossberg cruiser

·
Registered
469 Posts
40sc FTW

i never leave home without it

and when i sleep its under head

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my .40sc and weighed out this choice myself: The frame of the sc is exactly the same for the 9 and the .40; the .45 is larger. This being the case, the .45 somewhat ruled itself out being that i have a very small frame to conceal a pistol with. I picked the .40 because I'm using it as a general carry weapon (city/country) and I need the larger round when contending against wolf, moose and bear (God forbid). Alas there are much better weapons for bear defense, but I'd rather have a .40 than a 9 if a brownie pops out of the thicket. And I'd certianly rather HAVE a comfy .40 I'm willing to carry, than a heavy .44 that I'm more inclined to leave in the truck. : )

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
i have the .40sc i love it, would recommend it. Carry it every day. My reason for getting it is simply going to make a bigger hole and i dont really care about the increased price to shoot.
+1
i just bought my .40sc and weighed out this choice myself: The frame of the sc is exactly the same for the 9 and the .40; the .45 is larger. This being the case, the .45 somewhat ruled itself out being that i have a very small frame to conceal a pistol with. I picked the .40 because i'm using it as a general carry weapon (city/country) and i need the larger round when contending against wolf, moose and bear (god forbid). Alas there are much better weapons for bear defense, but i'd rather have a .40 than a 9 if a brownie pops out of the thicket. And i'd certianly rather have a comfy .40 i'm willing to carry, than a heavy .44 that i'm more inclined to leave in the truck. : )
+1

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Alot of people post and say there's not much difference between the 9mm and the .40 when using 9mm +p rounds.

I have both... there is a HUGE difference when firing the XD9SC with +p ammo and firing the XD40SC...

Get the XD40SC... it's a huge difference..... I don't care what anyone says or what any ballistic chart says.... I fire them both...... I know the difference.

Marine Corps rule: Don't bring any gun to a gunfight who's caliber doesn't begin with a 4.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you subscribe to the bigger is always better point-of-view go for the .40. However, no one sent to the morgue by a 9 has ever objected that it was not big enough.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Alot of people post and say there's not much difference between the 9mm and the .40 when using 9mm +p rounds.

I have both... there is a HUGE difference when firing the XD9SC with +p ammo and firing the XD40SC...

Get the XD40SC... it's a huge difference..... I don't care what anyone says or what any ballistic chart says.... I fire them both...... I know the difference.

Marine Corps rule: Don't bring any gun to a gunfight who's caliber doesn't begin with a 4.
ballistically, there isn't much difference.
I would imagine there is a considerable difference in the recoil of a +P round with 9mm recoil springs. A bit of a thud at the end of the slide travel?

another advantage I see for having various caliber, if one becomes unavailable, you're not without a firearm.
Also, I recall someone on here mentioning that you can use a 9mm (or .357 Sig) barrel on a .40 firearm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts