Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tell me if there is much difference between the SC with an extension and a service. I have an xd40 service. Am going to buy another xd (probably a 9) with the o.d. frame.. My service prints somewhat. Will the sc with the extension still stick out as much?? Should I just go with the service.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't answer your actual question, just give my opinion on your idea on the whole.

Well, if you want the Sub, buy that. But, if you just want a 9mm, buy a conversion barrel for your service 40. Unless, you REALLY want a whole nother gun. Hey, best of both world, buy a 40 sub, a 9mm sub conversion barrel (when they're finished), and a 9mm service conversion barrel. Then you have 4 guns for the price of 2.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really hankering for a new gun with the o.d. green frame (they look so cool I drool when I look at them), and am looking to get a 9 so the wife can enjoy shooting too (good excuse to buy another).

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
I'm sorry, I can't answer your actual question, just give my opinion on your idea on the whole.

Well, if you want the Sub, buy that. But, if you just want a 9mm, buy a conversion barrel for your service 40. Unless, you REALLY want a whole nother gun. Hey, best of both world, buy a 40 sub, a 9mm sub conversion barrel (when they're finished), and a 9mm service conversion barrel. Then you have 4 guns for the price of 2.
Just don't carry with a conversion barrel.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've got a SC, and I love it. I'm thinking along the lines of the other peeps; if you just want a 9, go conv. If you want another gun, get the SC. I think you'll find it works quite a bit better for CC than a Service does.

Just my two scents.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the extensions on my sub and it doesnt print as bad as my 4in....it still conceals as it should.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I carry a SC 9mm with Pearce grip extensions. If I carry it at 3 oclock, it doesn't print at all standing or sitting. From what I've read, the service model's grip is very similar to the SC with Pearce grips though, so CCW a service would probably not be much different.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I thought that those barrels were match grade, as good or better than stock barrels. I suppose the line of thought is that the fact that it is not in its original caliber detracts from the reliability factor, i.e. the tolerances are off a little bit?

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
jkswiss said:
I thought that those barrels were match grade, as good or better than stock barrels. I suppose the line of thought is that the fact that it is not in its original caliber detracts from the reliability factor, i.e. the tolerances are off a little bit?
I believe someone here said those barrels come with a disclaimer. But check with the barrel manufacture to find out for sure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Service model in .357 Sig caliber. Talk about ALOT of punch for such a small package.Until the much awaited 10MM XD makes it's debut, the .357 Sig will do!

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Pierce grip extensions are long in front and short in back (where the butt normally contacts the cover garment), so they print less that a full grip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for your help and opinions. I went and bought another service yesterday in the XD9. Hell, I even qualified with it this morning. I think I may be able to squeeze some more O.T. and get the sc in a short while. I really love the look of my new o.d. frame, even put a tube grip on it. Thanks again for everyones help! Maybe I will get my wife to help me post some pics for you soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own both Service and SC in 9mm. Between the two I prefer the SC - its not only the one that goes to the range more often with me, but I also carry it. I am just as accurate with my SC as I am with the Service. I put Pearce grip extensions on my SC - with my big hands, it really makes a difference. Instead of my pinky finger up underneath the magazine, it rides in front with the other three.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts