Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found out that SBS's and SBR's are CA legal. $200 tax stamp and paperwork of course, but now I want one. I can't have a suppresor so I might as well get the other goodies that I can.

Should I buy another Mossy 500 and have a gunsmith chop it? Or can I buy a shorter barrel? Anybody know?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would not advise buying the under 18" barrel until the paperwork goes through. Always play it safe when it comes to the ATF.

If you buy a shotgun like the Serbu Super Shorty you don't need to pay the $200 tax stamp, but rather a $5 AOW.

I went with a Tromix built Saiga 12 for my SBS. I already had the S12 and I sent it to Tony for his conversion. It took a long time on his waiting list and it took around 6 weeks to get my form 4 approval.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't know about Mossberg barrels, but Rem 870 14" factory barrels can be bought either direct from Rem or through online sources.

I like an 18" shotgun because it's a good balance of capacity and compactness. Other than a mag-fed gun like the one above, I wouldn't want a shorter gun. An 18" mossberg with a folding gun is quite compact, relatively unregulated and a serious house gun!

I saved my tax stamp and hassle for my SBR AR15. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
An 18" mossberg with a folding gun is quite compact, relatively unregulated and a serious house gun!
When last I looked, they weren't regulated any more than any other non-NFA firearm.

Do you know something I don't?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely want to stay pump.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
here is my mossberg 590a1 AOW. $5 stamp

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does AOW mean? Cause $5 is totally resonalbe, and that is exactly what I want!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
What does AOW mean? Cause $5 is totally resonalbe, and that is exactly what I want!
AOW means Any Other Weapon.

Short Barreled Shotguns with a full stock require a $200 tax stamp.

If the shotgun never had a full stock on it, or only a pistol grip, it is considered an AOW and qualifies for the $5 tax stamp.

The only problem is that the short barreled shotgun manufactures know that so you end up paying more for the AOW shotgun.

Basically your option is to buy a SBS for $500 + $200 tax stamp or buy a AOW shotgun for $695 + $5 tax stamp.

As I understand it, if you buy the SBS you can still put a pistol grip on it or a full stock. If you buy the AOW it can only ever have a pistol grip on it.

My plan is to buy an SBS so I can have either stock on it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
SBSs (and SBRs) are SWEET!

I had an 18" barrel on my 870 and when the paperwork came back I bought a pre-shortened barrel and slapped it on. The barrel I bought was originally an 18" that was cut and recrowned by a gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
SBSs (and SBRs) are SWEET!

I had an 18" barrel on my 870 and when the paperwork came back I bought a pre-shortened barrel and slapped it on. The barrel I bought was originally an 18" that was cut and recrowned by a gunsmith.
How short of a barrel do you get that way?

Looks about 14".

And do you just send off the Form 4 and your $200 to get it registered as a SBS or does it have to go through a Class III manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

Looks about 14".

And do you just send off the Form 4 and your $200 to get it registered as a SBS or does it have to go through a Class III manufacturer?
That's about a 12" barrel. It's a form 1, but yes... Send the form and the check and then wait. No dealers needed.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Looks about 14".

The Form 4 is to transfer (or buy) an NFA item from a Class 3 dealer.

The Form 1 allows you to make (replace barrel or upper / get out the hacksaw) it yourself (when approved).

The catch is: there's a $200 manufacturing tax on any NFA weapon (including AOWs)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AOW means Any Other Weapon.

Short Barreled Shotguns with a full stock require a $200 tax stamp.

If the shotgun never had a full stock on it, or only a pistol grip, it is considered an AOW and qualifies for the $5 tax stamp.

The only problem is that the short barreled shotgun manufactures know that so you end up paying more for the AOW shotgun.

Basically your option is to buy a SBS for $500 + $200 tax stamp or buy a AOW shotgun for $695 + $5 tax stamp.

As I understand it, if you buy the SBS you can still put a pistol grip on it or a full stock. If you buy the AOW it can only ever have a pistol grip on it.

My plan is to buy an SBS so I can have either stock on it.

The Form 1 allows you to make (replace barrel or upper / get out the hacksaw) it yourself (when approved).

The catch is: there's a $200 manufacturing tax on any NFA weapon (including AOWs)
That's the difference right there. Whether your manufacturing it, or the company is manufacturing it. They don't just charge you more, that is including their cost of manufacturing a NFA weapon.

I'm thinking get a AOW, and then a SBS. I like the just pistol grip idea. For SHTF scenario's you could just sling the sucker behind you, for blasting open doors, going into really tight quarters, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here is my mossberg 590a1 AOW. $5 stamp

Sourpatch,
What's the length on that barrel. Also how could you attach a sling to that? Do they make a sling attachment for between the pistol grip and receiver like on an AR?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
That's the difference right there. Whether your manufacturing it, or the company is manufacturing it. They don't just charge you more, that is including their cost of manufacturing a NFA weapon.

I'm thinking get a AOW, and then a SBS. I like the just pistol grip idea. For SHTF scenario's you could just sling the sucker behind you, for blasting open doors, going into really tight quarters, etc.
No, all NFA manufacturers pay a tax yearly and can manufacture as many NFA items as s/he wishes during year.

They can crank out as many NFA items as the market will bear, all with the yearly tax.

They don't have to pay a tax per item, as an unlicensed person will.

They're charging 'extra' simply because they can.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I thought I understood this and now I'm getting confused.

$200 tax stamp on a Form 1 and I can make an SBS.

Is there also a $200 manufacturing tax? So it's $400 to make and register an SBS or AOW?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts