Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my wife has decided that she wants to go the SBR route for her build. Now I have several questions about the NFA paperwork, as this is the first NFA firearm that either of us have considered obtaining.

Since we will be building a new SBR and not transfering, I have downloaded the Form 1 from the ATF website and started to fill it out. I have several questions regarding some of the fields to fill in. So those of you who have compleated this form, here is where you come in. Please tell me if these are the correct values for the form 1. found here. We are residents of the state of Kansas (if that makes any difference) and if any one who has experience with obtaining the permits in Kansas and could lend some info that would be great. Any other info is always appreciated too.

Field 1: Type of application
a. Tax Paid is the field I have selected

Field 2: Application is made by
Individual is the field that I have selected

Field 3:
Field 3a is not applicible (is this correct?)
Field 3b is straight forward (name and address)
Field 3c, 3d and 3e are straight forward

Field 4: Description of Firearm
4a: Name and location of Original manufacturer
Sun Devil Manufacturing
Mesa, AZ
is what I have entered is this correct (we will be using a Sundevil lower receiver)?
4b: Type of firearm
I have entered 3 (in the instructions it lists type 3 as a firearm with a barrel shorter then 16") do I need to add any thing here?
4c : Caliber, gauge or size
I have listed .22, .223/5.56mm
is this what I need so I can use the lower for either .22LR or .223/5.56mm?
4d: model
SD15 (this is the model # on the receiver)
4e: Length of barrel (inches)
I have listed 10.5, 11.5, 14.5
Is it ok to list more than 1 length so we can add other uppers with barrels of less than 16"?
4f: overall length
I have listed 12,13,16
I pan on using a YHM phantom (that has a lenght of 1.5") are these the correct values for this field?
4g: Serial Number
straight forward I have listed the serial # off the reciever
4h: additional description
I have listed my wife's name, city and state of residence
Is this where I need to add this information? I was under the impression that these must be engraved onto the registered lower.
4i: State why you intend to make firearm
I have put "for all legal purposes"
is that a sufficient answer?

Field 5: applicants Federal Firearms License
I have nothing in this field as neither of us have a FFL

Field 6: Special (Occupational) Tax Status
I have left this field blank. Is there any reason that this needs to be filled in?

Fields 7 and 8 are stright forward and compleated

Field 9: is the signature field (straight forward)

Field 10: Name and title of Authorized Official of Firm or Corporation
I have left this field blank, do I need to fill this out if it is a personal firearm?

The rest of the form appears to be filled out by either the ATF or local law Enforcement (other than the pictures). Is there any thisng else that I am missing?

Thanks again for every ones input and assistance
nateroach

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
4b should be "SBR" or "short barreled rifle"

4c/e You can list one caliber and barrel length, it doesn't stop you from using other lengths or calibers in the future. As long as the "permanent configuration" doesn't change, you can swap uppers however and whenever you like.

4f is overall length of the whole gun, not just the barrel.

4h is where you put the info you'll be engraving on the lower if it is different than the just the name and address. If your wife's name is Jane Doe and you live in Podunk, OH you could engrave "JD Podunk, OH".

The easiest way to fill out your forms are to use the ones from TitleII.com as they walk you through it and provide examples.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate....

If the Democrats reenact an AWB, I would be concerned that they might make civilian ownership of SBR's, select fire (full auto) rifles, and .223 pistols illegal. Not just illegal to buy, but illegal to own. That may or may not happen, but with a Democrat President, VP, House, and Senate, who is there to stop them. They could go as far as confiscation, who knows?

With that in mind, I for one would not want to be put on a list of SBR/select fire owners at this critical time. I may be paranoid, but I really don't want ATF agents coming to my house with a list in their hands.

Also, why does your wife want a SBR over a conventional carbine? Does she think the SBR will be easier to handle and shoot? Does she know it will be louder, have more recoil, and may be harder to set up.

Just being devil's advocate. When I looked into the SBR myself, I was worried about the future.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4b should be "SBR" or "short barreled rifle"

4c/e You can list one caliber and barrel length, it doesn't stop you from using other lengths or calibers in the future. As long as the "permanent configuration" doesn't change, you can swap uppers however and whenever you like.

4f is overall length of the whole gun, not just the barrel.

4h is where you put the info you'll be engraving on the lower if it is different than the just the name and address. If your wife's name is Jane Doe and you live in Podunk, OH you could engrave "JD Podunk, OH".

The easiest way to fill out your forms are to use the ones from TitleII.com as they walk you through it and provide examples.
Hooz,
Thank you for the information, that is exactly what I was looking for.

nateroach

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Also, why does your wife want a SBR over a conventional carbine? Does she think the SBR will be easier to handle and shoot? Does she know it will be louder, have more recoil, and may be harder to set up.
She is mainly going the SBR route for handling, she is only 4'9". As far as being louder and having more recoil that is not a big issue, as for the most part it will be a range gun (always wearing hearing protection) and she deer hunts with a .260. I can't imagine that a .223 with any barrel length will compare with a Rem .260.

thanks,
nateroach

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

If the Democrats reenact an AWB, I would be concerned that they might make civilian ownership of SBR's, select fire (full auto) rifles, and .223 pistols illegal. Not just illegal to buy, but illegal to own. That may or may not happen, but with a Democrat President, VP, House, and Senate, who is there to stop them. They could go as far as confiscation, who knows?

With that in mind, I for one would not want to be put on a list of SBR/select fire owners at this critical time. I may be paranoid, but I really don't want ATF agents coming to my house with a list in their hands.

Just being devil's advocate. When I looked into the SBR myself, I was worried about the future.
I guess those of us with multiple NFA items already are screwed then, eh? ;)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you have an SBR, select fire, or suppressor, you probably on the Democrat's short list. I like to blend in with the milliions of "regular" gun owners without exotic weaponry.

·
Registered
902 Posts
FWIW you have some pretty extensive background checks to get Class III approved, I would think this places you as low-priority an any potential list. Legally obtained 'normal stuff' is used in very few crimes while with NFA stuff it is just about unheard of.

But then again: Being paranoid does not mean they're still not out to get you. ;)

If you have an SBR, select fire, or suppressor, you probably on the Democrat's short list. I like to blend in with the milliions of "regular" gun owners without exotic weaponry.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
only list 1 barrel length and caliber.

the people that have been putting multible ones have got them sent back.

when i talked to the people at the ATF they said just to be safe when you get a different upper send them a letter saying so.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW you have some pretty extensive background checks to get Class III approved, I would think this places you as low-priority an any potential list. Legally obtained 'normal stuff' is used in very few crimes while with NFA stuff it is just about unheard of.

But then again: Being paranoid does not mean they're still not out to get you. ;)
I don't think that she would have any issues with the background checks, she is already a state employee (corrections adviser) and has gone through the background checks for that.

nateroach

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only list 1 barrel length and caliber.

the people that have been putting multible ones have got them sent back.

when i talked to the people at the ATF they said just to be safe when you get a different upper send them a letter saying so.

Ok, so only 1 caliber and length. Thanks for the information guys.

nateroach

·
Premium Member
8,237 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts