Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. My dad bought a full, fixed stock for his .357 REM MAX Thompson Center pistol with a 9" barrel. If he puts the stock on it will it become a SBR and land him in pound-me-in-the-ass federal prison since he doesn't have a stamp?

He wants to use it for deer season next week.

Thanks ahead of time everyone!!!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Quick question. My dad bought a full, fixed stock for his .357 REM MAX Thompson Center pistol with a 9" barrel. If he puts the stock on it will it become a SBR and land him in pound-me-in-the-ass federal prison since he doesn't have a stamp?

He wants to use it for deer season next week.

Thanks ahead of time everyone!!!
Thats exatly what it will do if its not 16"

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just possessing the stock with a TC Contender pistol and no 16" barrel, even without putting the stock on the gun, the ATF finds out about it they will arrest him for having a SBR without the tax stamp.

He needs to get a 16"+ barrel ASAP or get the stock out of his house.

One other option would be to put a 7" barrel extension permanently attached to the barrel on the gun

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes!

He needs to put a 16" barrel on first and then put a stock on. If you put the stock on first you are in violation.

I wonder what part of this law falls under "shall not be infringed":-x

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
It depends entirely how long the barrel is. If it's over 16", no. If it's under, yes...with qualifications.

BATFE has a list of a few, a very, very select few, pistols that can have a buttstock attached without violating NFA regs. A couple that come to mind are Broomhandle Mausers and Artillery Lugers. I believe that they have to be original, and be manufactured prior to a certain date. It's possible that some of the revolvers you are referring to would fall into the same category.

Edit--I just looked at the ones you linked to, and it's possible that they would fall under the Curio & Relic exemption. Not sure, however.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
three metal bars sticking off the barrel, rough up the barrel a bit, use epoxy to attach it.. thats the quick way, I'm tempted to spot weld, but I fear a spot weld would ruin the barrel more than epoxy.

I know on the M4 variant M16s, you can have 14.5 barrel witha permenantly attached 1.5" flashhider. Its "attached" by a single point spot weld. So I think that would suffice. Personally I'd say get it threaded, put on a muzzle break, as big and effective as you can, then put out the bars off of that. I mean its got to get to 16" so might as well.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
three metal bars sticking off the barrel, rough up the barrel a bit, use epoxy to attach it.. thats the quick way, I'm tempted to spot weld, but I fear a spot weld would ruin the barrel more than epoxy.

I know on the M4 variant M16s, you can have 14.5 barrel witha permenantly attached 1.5" flashhider. Its "attached" by a single point spot weld. So I think that would suffice. Personally I'd say get it threaded, put on a muzzle break, as big and effective as you can, then put out the bars off of that. I mean its got to get to 16" so might as well.
No you cannot epoxy or spot weld on a barrel extension.

They are 3 ways to attach a flash hider or barrel extension to make your minimum legal barrel length.

1. They need to be sliver soldered (or brazed) with a solder that melts above 1,100 degrees.

2. A continuous seam weld at least half the distance around the flash hider or extension (I've seen some references that say fully around). Or tack welded in at least 4 places equidistant around the flash hider.

3. Pinned and welded. (probably what you thought was a spot weld on an M4, it is the most popular way of permanently attaching them.)

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Or just buy a freakin' 16" barrel, instead of some Rube Goldberg, might be legal, really crappy-looking "extension" that will probably go fliying downrange after a shot or two leaving a definitely illeagal unlicensed SBR in your hands.

They aren't all that expensive...usually around $200 for Contenders. Defintely beats 10 years and a $100,000 fine in my book.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just possessing the stock with a TC Contender pistol and no 16" barrel, even without putting the stock on the gun, the ATF finds out about it they will arrest him for having a SBR without the tax stamp.

He needs to get a 16"+ barrel ASAP or get the stock out of his house.

One other option would be to put a 7" barrel extension permanently attached to the barrel on the gun
Why not just buy a pistol grip for it in the meantime. That should at least get him by until he finds a barrel.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
He already has the pistol grip I assume.

But ATF says if you have the parts to make an illegal weapon it's the same as having the illegal weapon.

So if you have a TC Contender Pistol, with the pistol grip installed, and a rifle stock with no rifle barrel you have the components to build a short barreled rifle and that is the same as if you had assembled it. If you have a barrel that is over 16" as long as you don't assemble it into a short barreled rifle you are OK.

It's stupid but that's the way ATF does things.

I'm just waiting for them to get real creative and start arresting everyone who has a 5 gal can of gas in the shed, a bunch of glass bottles in the recycling bin, and some old rags in the garage for assembling a Molotov cocktail.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not seen said stock so I can neither confirm nor deny it's existance.

For any further references and for any authorities who may be reading this; this has all be an imaginary, fictional tale. Thanks for playing along.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
If you clear your mind and get to the root of this problem, I really don't see what the deal is with this kind of set up....

It basically helps you shoot a handgun a bit more accurately because you have the stock to assist you. I don't understand why this is illegal :confused:

Kind of like the grenade launcher on the Yugo SKS. Man, I am just glad to have the rifle, what are the chances some dude in a dark alley is selling launchable grenades out of this trunk? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Neither of the two pictures you posted are illegal, Hobo...the first is a Broomhandle Mauser with the attached stock/holster, which would fall under the Curio & relic exemption. The second is a Buckmark Carbine, which has a 16+" barrel, and is therefore a rifle.

As to the why SBR's are illegal...well, the out-of-work Revenuers had to have something to do when Prohibition was repealed...so, the NFA was created. There's no logic involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts