Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliff Notes for those who don't want to read the whole post: Is there any way to either get a ambi slide release, or to get the slide to release when inserting a full mag on the xD9 service?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I've had my xD for a while now. I do a fair amount of IDPA and USPSA shooting and felt I've been getting better, but at the same time, felt something was holding me back. Couldn't seem to get past ESP MM in IDPA.

The other week a friend an I decided to shoot the classifier again. I mentioned wanting to classify in SSP, so he brought an M&P along for me to shoot. I ran my xd in ESP first, and as usual, still MM although my best classifier time to date. Then after a break and running some other people through, I grabbed the M&P and made my SSP run. Much different experience. Missed Expert by about 3 seconds. First time ever shooting the M&P. With a little more time with the M&P, I think I could get to Expert, quickly.

I used the same holster/mag carriers for both runs, so there wasn't a difference there affecting things.

What I noticed that made the difference:

1. I was more accurate with the M&P. Dropped more points with the xD on stage 3 than I did the entire classifier with the M&P. I think this was mainly the fact the xD has the stock sights, and the M&P has a fiber optic front sight, which I picked up faster, and probably used more. Simple fix, get a fiber optic for the xD.

2. The big one. I'm left handed. On slide-lock reloads, the xD stays locked back even after inserting a fresh magazine. Being left handed, the slide release is on the wrong side (shame Springfield wasn't nice enough to make that ambi, as well) so I have to sling-shot the slide. Big waste of time. With the M&P, putting the fresh mag in, the slide dropped, and I could just roll right back onto the grip, getting back on target and firing much faster. In the event that the slide wouldn't always drop (I'm told they don't always) I noticed when looking at a new M&P that S&W was considerate enough of left-handed shooters to make their release ambidexterous.

So, since I already know the fix for #1, is there any way to either get an ambi release for the xD (9mm service, specifically) OR preferably, get the slide to drop upon inserting a full mag? I'd really rather not buy another handgun right now (saving for an AR and a handgun right now would chew up all that I've saved) but at the same time, after shooting the M&P, I really feel the xD is holding me back currently. Almost 30 seconds difference in classifier (total) time seems to support that. For those that are curious, I was 40 points down total with the xD (25 on stage 3) and 22 total down with the M&P.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd buy the M&P if I was in your position without even giving it a thought.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Look at my user name...

It should read pleasantguywhousetopackAXDbutnowgoesM&P

I'm left-handed and while I don't utilize the slide lock in the way you want to. I use it only to facilitate faster malfunction clearing. I don't shoot IDPA. All that aside, go for what is obvious. Use what works better for lefties in any way you can.

IMO the M&P is a better choice all around but gets top honors for its ambi superior features.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From what I understand for the XD, it is not a "slide release". It is a "slide stop". You aren't suppose to use your finger to release the slide. I believe to chamber a round you should C-clamp the slide with your hand and slingshot the slide. In my career training and personal experience, I don't think it is a waste of time, but rather a better way.

BUT

Whichever gun you work better with, go for it! :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Why do you want to be talked out of getting an M&P if you shoot better with it? They're great guns. You'll find little GlockTalk-esque close-mindedness here. ;D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used own several Glocks now I have a XDm 45 and a couple of M&Ps. I prefer to carry & the M&P hands down.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I own both and in my experience, the XD is a much more reliable platform. Broken strikers, numerous magazine issues, extractor issues, mags dropping out, poor accuracy out of the 9mm, lack of a felt reset. You can make the M&P what it should be out of the box, but you will be writing a large check to Apex Tactical. If you want a plastic gun, stick with the XD or Glock.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you have the disposable income, then buy the M&P. If not then as a left hander you have learned to adapt to a right hand world. I am sure you have learned how to do a lot of things right-handed, so train yourself on doing the exercise right-handed.
I personally think all shooters should learn how to shoot with either hand.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you have the disposable income, then buy the M&P. If not then as a left hander you have learned to adapt to a right hand world. I am sure you have learned how to do a lot of things right-handed, so train yourself on doing the exercise right-handed.
I personally think all shooters should learn how to shoot with either hand.
We do shoot both ways but lefties will always shoot better as lefties, it is only natural. Unless your cross eye dominant then that throws even more complexity into the mix.

It isn't a matter of just learning to do things right-handed. That is so right-handed person's thinking.

Why don't you do everything left-handed for a year and come back and report your progress.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I own both and in my experience, the XD is a much more reliable platform. Broken strikers, numerous magazine issues, extractor issues, mags dropping out, poor accuracy out of the 9mm, lack of a felt reset. You can make the M&P what it should be out of the box, but you will be writing a large check to Apex Tactical. If you want a plastic gun, stick with the XD or Glock.

I think I can pull up about 100 threads on here about XD's and breakage problems..magazine problems. As for making it what is needs to be, isn't there couple of companies on here doing triggers, guide rods ect for XD's?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'd say that the old original Xd's pale in comparison to the M&P however, I haven't shot it much yet but my Dad just got an XdM 9mm compact and I put a couple mags though it last weekend and I actually felt like I shot it better than my 1911's GASP!!!! I also haven't been behind a gun in about two months so its hard to say.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
Save you? Heck no.

I ENCOURAGE you you buy that M&P, and quickly.

The proof was in the pudding, so to speak--you shoot it better than the XD. Why question it? Just go with what works.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guess I should have known better than to get on a gun forum and say "talk me out of buying a gun". :D

While I could simply buy an M&P, that means putting off the AR yet again. While I'd really like to get an AR, it wouldn't get as much use as whatever my IDPA/USPSA gun happens to be. Since I already own the xD, I was hoping there was a way to get it to operate better, then it could stay as the competition gun, and I could buy the AR.

As for those who want to insist that it's a slide lock, not a slide release, while it's true that Springfield calls it a "slide stop lever" here's step 5 from the xD users manual section on loading the gun.

xd manual said:
5. Point firearm in a safe direction and keep
finger off trigger. Depress the slide stop lever to
allow slide to move forward and load a shell from the
magazine into the chamber.
So, while they don't call it a slide release, they certainly intend it to function as such. That's good enough for me. What I don't understand is why, since that's their recommended loading procedure, they couldn't consider left handed shooters and put a "slide stop lever" on both sides of the gun, like the M&P.

Oh well, guess it's time to start looking for a 9L.......

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
but you will be writing a large check to Apex Tactical.
Still would be cheaper than sending an XD to PRP or Springer. Plus the Average man should be able to do it himself. Not something most want to attempt on an XD :rolleyes:. Many reasons why I only owned an XD for 2 months and sold it...

I just feel the M&P is a much more performance oriented gun. Also a heck of a lot more reliable in my experience.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts