Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I'll get right down to business. I suck at rifles. I'm good with pistols but I'm pretty much an embarrassment to the family name when hunting season comes around and my pickups the only one with an empty bed.
I know the best way to get good is with practice, practice, practice, but all of the rifles I do have use fairly-very expensive calibers.
I've been looking at the savage arms 2011 catalog and they have a model 25 with thumbhole stock chambered in 5.45 soviet. looking at round dimensions I'd say that it's probably very similar to a 223 for recoil and accuracy.
so my question is has anyone had this gun?
how would you stack it against a remington 700?
would this be a good gun to use to build up accuracy?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can only speak for the Rem 700. I have many deer under my belt with my old 700BDL 270cal. Very accurate out of the box, I had a fixed 4 power on my first one, and a Nikon 3to9 on my current custom shop 270.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha sorry if I implied that I was also looking at a 700. I already own a 700 in 243 and love the accuracy to death(or at least I did before I fell so far out of practice). I am only looking for a baseline comparison between the 700 and this savage m25

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own a few Savage rifles and they are all very accurate.....my old model 110 in .30-06 is still MOA and its 27 years old, my son has a newer model 110E in .243 and he can shoot flys at 200 yards with that thing. As for your choice of caliber I honestly can't say as i have no experience with it.
As a suggestion though you might want to look into something in a .17HMR , like the model 93R17, great shooting, very accurate, easily good for paper out to 150-200 yards, very very little if any recoil and not too hard on the wallet to shoot...thus giving you an affordable easy shooting very fun rifle to practice with. Just my .02 cents....good luck and enjoy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts