Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has an old Savage 99 in 303 Savage that was made in 1903. At the age of 83 he still carries it and still kills deer with it. Was just up at my hunting property and fired a couple (expensive) rounds to make sure it was still zeroed.

I have a 99C in 308 that I bought about 10 years ago. It has a detachable mag. One of my favorite rifles.

While up at my property I went into the local town's pawn shop and they had a very used 99 in 308. Someone had cut the original stock down. This one had the internal rotary mag with metal round indicator. Asking price was $240 and if it hadn't been for the stock I would have grabbed it. Now that I am home, I am re-thinking my decision. A lever action 308 is just about the perfect hunting rifle. I would have to find or have a stock made for it, but it would be a heck of a nice piece.

·
Premium Member
12,144 Posts
My FIL has one scoped in .308; I don't know what the manufacture date is but it's his go-to rifle for deer and elk. The past two times he was drawn for elk it was a two-shot, two-kill rifle.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am definitely thinking of heading back north next week to get that 99 if he still has it. Need to get the serial number and look it up and check out the bore but after looking around, stocks are fairly common. Boyd's makes them.

99's in 308s make sweet hunting rifles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes the stocks are fairly easy to come by.

I wanted one ever since I was a kid, and after twenty years of looking I found one in .243 for $300. I couldn't get the man paid quick enough!

To me the 99 is one of the most iconic rifles ever made, as well as being nearly perfect as a deer rifle. You almost never see one for sale around here, and if you do they command a hefty price.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have a 1963 made Savage 99 Featherweight in 243 and love it! Very accurate and my favorite go-to gun for coyotes and deer at short range. Planning on this being my daughter's first deer gun in a year or so.

I also have my father-in-law's 1952 Savage 99 in 300 Savage and it too is a really sweet shooter. Great deer and pig gun.

- brickboy240

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.