Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Savage .17hmr 93r17FV and 93rGVXP (combo) and can't tell the difference in the actual rifles. Does anyone know if there is one? Dicks has the combo for $259 and a local shop has the FV for $225 no scope.

If they are the same I might go for the no scope and put one of my pick'n on there.

Thanks for the input!

-poly

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Evening bump. I "should" be coming home with one or the other tomorrow pending info.. If nothing comes up I'll call Savage in the morning and ask.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Make sure the Savage has the accutrigger, toss away the scope (or put it on your crossbow like I did) and get a Muelller 4X16X50mm varmint scope and appropriate rings. The price sounds right, I paid $319.00 for my thumbhole stock Savage w/accutrigger and POS Simmons scope. Excellent varminter, good out to way past where I have been shooting. (farthest kill on a groundhog was 120 yards)

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The G should have a wooden stock, the F is plastic. Don't waste your time on the package scope.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I called savage and they are running a special with Dicks but the ones that went out were labeled gvxp but did not have wood (like they should). I think I'll go with the 93r17FV and buy my own glass.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
is that 17hmr ammo really all its cracked up to be i see alot of people wanting that caliber as of lately

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I'm not buying anything for a while.. my DL needs to be renewed, I feel like an idiot after filling out the form and handing it over to the guy. I cant seem to win, finally after hum'n & haw'n I'm ready to pull the trigger and now this. Guess I'll stick the money back into savings.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'm completely sold on the 17hmr. It's expensive for plinking, but if you want a "long range" rimfire it's really tough to beat. I didn't know much about it until a friend of mine got one. We shot it at about 90 yards... I was in shock. We were using a target that was a picture of a fox (so you can't line up on the same exact spot like you would with traditional targets.... makes grouping a little tougher) and I had a 5 shot group the size of a quarter... I've never shot that well with any rifle. Needless to say, I'm completely sold on it (I have a dream of getting one for a "designated squirrel rifle." So yes, it is all it's cracked up to be. A word of caution though, it's still a REALLY tiny bullet, so I'd stay away from hunting coyotes and probably foxes as well. Groundhogs are probably the biggest thing you can cleanly kill. For that reason a number of people prefer a .22WMR, but if I was going that route, I'd rather just use a small centerfire (i.e. 223).

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i have a savage 93r17 i got the package deal, i kept the scope on it and i am very happy with it.
i really want to get the "sweet 17" that has the yard marked knobs on the top so all you have to do is dial in how far away it is and shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts