Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year, I decided it was time to try a new rifle platform. I belong to Front Sight and have been wanting to give their Precision Rifle course a try.

I picked up a Savage 10 FCP HS-Precision. Nothing fancy about it....just a good solid rifle. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP 6-24x50 optic on a 20 MOA one piece base. Two other options, a Karsten cheek piece and a Harris bipod rounded out the configuration. Drilling holes in a brand new rifle stock is a bigger challenge than drilling holes in my 13 year old Jeep TJ. ;)

Here is the 10 FCP after I finished the cheek piece installation.

I am still in the process of working up some hand loads. It's too hot now (takes for ever for the barrel to cool) here in AZ so that will resume in November or there about. I found a couple of hopefuls after my first trip to the range with some 168 gr SMKs loaded up on top of Varget. The 2nd trip back with another spread for Varget produced this 5 shot group at 100 yds. It looks promising. (the dime will cover all 5 shots)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I cant wait to get the cash to start my 2 planned builds. Kiddo on the way put a dent in my gun $$ :D

Have you been able to shoot distance with it, or waiting on that til after you get the load figured right?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. FWIW, my kids are grown up and my grand kids have not managed to drain my finances too badly thus far. With any luck, it will remain just like that. ;)

I haven't ran it out past 100 yds yet but really want to. I've got some 175 gr SMKs that I want to compare to the 168 gr I've already tested. There is a 200 yd range not too far away from where I live. Maybe I'll hit that one first. Then.... I just may have to go out to the desert and find a nice deserted spot.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Savage makes a Super Rifle !! I have a 10FLP and it's a tack driver with handloads

1 - 4 of 4 Posts