Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know who makes the XDm (or 1911's) cases for SA? Wanting one to put another pistol in.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure but Springfield will sell you a case......I believe the XD ones are around 16 bucks and the XDm ones are like 32....been a few months since I checked....email or call and ask.....they do not list them on the website
Thanks. I'll check with them.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks. I'll check with them.
Glad to help. I have seen lots of posts lately asking where people can get parts/accessories and think that because the web doesn't show it, its not available.

I am a firm believer in calling factories and asking......very rarely do they tell you to stick it.

Other than the slide, frame and extractor, SA seems to sell everything else for the XD's

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. I've gone to Pelican, Plano, etc. sites and as funny as it seems, I really can't find a case that matches or that I like compared to the XDm cases. I like the way they stack and that's helpful where I have them. Also, the Pelican cases can get pretty expensive and a little more than I need. I want a case for my Colt Gold Cup and would like it to basicly be the size of my XDm cases. Of course SA uses a different style case for the 1911's (I don't really care for the case that my TRP Operator comes in) and would still like to have the other style. Preferrably though, I'd like to find out who's cases SA uses to save a little $$. But I'll call them anyway to see and may just take the foam out of one that I have to see if there's a name located somewhere on it.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Right. I've gone to Pelican, Plano, etc. sites and as funny as it seems, I really can't find a case that matches or that I like compared to the XDm cases. I like the way they stack and that's helpful where I have them. Also, the Pelican cases can get pretty expensive and a little more than I need. I want a case for my Colt Gold Cup and would like it to basicly be the size of my XDm cases. Of course SA uses a different style case for the 1911's (I don't really care for the case that my TRP Operator comes in) and would still like to have the other style. Preferrably though, I'd like to find out who's cases SA uses to save a little $$. But I'll call them anyway to see and may just take the foam out of one that I have to see if there's a name located somewhere on it.
Ill check my XD cases when I get home, but I doubt they will say.

Pelican's are really nice, the Plano's make some good cases and some bad ones.

Harbor Freight sells an aluminum one that is good for the price.

But really, 32ish dollars for a case is really not worth trying to search and search to save 5 bucks max.....

Also, ask SA if they have the OD green ones exclusive to Cabela's they are pretty neat if that's your thing......

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks and I appreciate your help. And you're right, it's just a case and a few bucks (albeit not really my concern) isn't worth spending really any more time on. I do like the XDm cases though and will call them and also see if blank or egg crate foam comes in them.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks and I appreciate your help. And you're right, it's just a case and a few bucks (albeit not really my concern) isn't worth spending really any more time on. I do like the XDm cases though and will call them and also see if blank or egg crate foam comes in them.
I highly doubt you will be able to get them without foam or eggcrate foam......its probably only available in original configuration.

If you don't mind white, you can get an entire mattress egg crate style @ wally world, or prepare to pay out the wazoo for pick and pluck from amazon or fleabay

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Sometimes you can find a local dealer for shipping foam. Check for foam or plastics manufacturers.

The "pick n pluck" that is used in gun cases is usually a medium density polyurethane. Some is "softer" that others, but all will protect adequately.

Pelican's foam is a softer texture than some other brands (and it $$$ if you want to buy a foam kit to make your own insert). My Plano GunGuard has poly foam and it has a coarser texture with less squish.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I highly doubt you will be able to get them without foam or eggcrate foam......its probably only available in original configuration.

If you don't mind white, you can get an entire mattress egg crate style @ wally world, or prepare to pay out the wazoo for pick and pluck from amazon or fleabay
Right, and I want the foam inserts This would be used for a 1911 of course, so I'd want it to fit close to it. They may recommend the 1911 cases, even though I don't care for them as much as the XDm's.

Sometimes you can find a local dealer for shipping foam. Check for foam or plastics manufacturers.

The "pick n pluck" that is used in gun cases is usually a medium density polyurethane. Some is "softer" that others, but all will protect adequately.

Pelican's foam is a softer texture than some other brands (and it $$$ if you want to buy a foam kit to make your own insert). My Plano GunGuard has poly foam and it has a coarser texture with less squish.
A sales girl told me that the "pick and pluck" foam (that I like) found in the better cases like Pelican, etc. has a tendency to shave off and to crumble over a short period of time???? Hadn't heard that one. Also heard that some "freeze" the foam plank, then cut out the shape of whatever they're using. Hmmm . . .

At any rate, gonna call SA a little later and see what's what.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I see them on Ebay all the time.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tks. I'll look into that too.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
A sales girl told me that the "pick and pluck" foam (that I like) found in the better cases like Pelican, etc. has a tendency to shave off and to crumble over a short period of time???? Hadn't heard that one. Also heard that some "freeze" the foam plank, then cut out the shape of whatever they're using. Hmmm . . .

At any rate, gonna call SA a little later and see what's what.
Given Pelican's warranty I don't know if crumbling is something I would worry about with a Pelican brand case. They make a high quality product and bad foam would would ruin that reputation quickly. The Pelican-like cases may have that problem though.

Somewhere on here is a thread where a member cut his own custom foam for a rifle case. The mechanics of that are the same for a pistol. A search should locate it easy enough.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll do a search.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You do need the right kind of foam; I'm not the one to ask which, but my dad left his Browning shotgun in a case, heck, it probably hadn't been out for 25 years, and the foam had reacted with the gun oil and broken down, and that stuff was welded all over the barrel and whatnot. Heck of a time cleaning that crap off.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You do need the right kind of foam; I'm not the one to ask which, but my dad left his Browning shotgun in a case, heck, it probably hadn't been out for 25 years, and the foam had reacted with the gun oil and broken down, and that stuff was welded all over the barrel and whatnot. Heck of a time cleaning that crap off.
I know and that's terrible about the Browning. I've had my Browning Lt 12 (auto 5) for 45 years now and while it's not "new", it's a collectable to me.

I called SA and the XD (m) cases are $35.00 (only way is w/foam) and the 1911 cases are $15.00 w/o foam and $20.00 w/foam. So I'm going to see how the Gold Cup fits in both and go from there. Of course, I don't want the XD (m) foam really (since it comes with the cutouts for the accessories too). But I still like the size/style of the case. The 1911
I can get it without or see if the Gold Cup fits in it with the appropriet models .45 foam. Can still get just the cases and buy the foam elsewhere too. May just decide on the 1911 style so both 1911's will be in the same style cases.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
IF you are only fitting barrel length differences between 1911's, then it's a simple job with a razor to lengthen the cut out. Some cases may already have the foam scored to allow for one foam sheet for all fittings, and they just pop it out at the factory as they need to.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IF you are only fitting barrel length differences between 1911's, then it's a simple job with a razor to lengthen the cut out. Some cases may already have the foam scored to allow for one foam sheet for all fittings, and they just pop it out at the factory as they need to.
The lady at SA had to call that dept. to see how they go out. I believe that's what she found out. The pistol (and/or accessory) cutout itself is already there and they simply have the extra "slices" of foam there also to make up for the barrel lengths. I just have to see how the fit is to the Colt. May not be any worse than how SA's pistols come already in their own respective cases. Alway's noticed that the fit is not as precise as you would think. For instance, the foam really isn't notched out for the front/rear sights for my TRP Operator. Have to wedge it in there each time. She said they're fairly generic and that's how they all come pretty much (from the case mfg.) and they just get it close.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts