Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've made the leap... my first center-fire auto-loader pistol is an XD-9 bi-tone, 4" service model! Loved the way it felt in my hand, so I traded a .357 revolver for the XD-9 kit.

Just found this forum (after the purchase), and from some of threads on prices, I think I got taken for a little ride. Oh well, live and learn. I'll do more online price research next time.

Now for the newb questions:

- The gun shop sold me 3 boxes of Win white box 115 grain target loads for about $7 a box, and 1 container of Federal Premium 135 grain hollow points for about $18 (ouch! maybe I got taken on those too?). Is there any cheap ammo that you typically stay away from? Any advice on respected 9mm ammo I should test in my gun would be welcome.

- Is there anything I should be aware of about the XD, that's not in the manual?

Thanks in advance. Looks like a pretty good forum you guys have here.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. The XD is a great pistol.

I think the price you paid on the ammo is in the ballpark. Good premium hollowpoints can get pricey. For targets most folks around here buy the Winchester White Box (WWB) in the 100 round value pack from wallyworld. That will run you around 16 bucks.

Enjoy and be safe!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Congrats on the new gun, your going to love it and beware, they tend to multiply.
The only advice I woud give to a new shooter of the XD is to give it a good wipe down on a regular basis. The finish is a bit weak and does not stand up to alot of abuse. The gun on the other hand is a tank and will serve you well.

Son of Norway said:
Congratulations on your purchase. The XD is a great pistol.

I think the price you paid on the ammo is in the ballpark. Good premium hollowpoints can get pricey. For targets most folks around here buy the Winchester White Box (WWB) in the 100 round value pack from wallyworld. That will run you around 16 bucks.

Enjoy and be safe!
Maybe california is different or maybe your thinking .40 but 9mm wally world ammo around these parts is $11.34 per box of 100.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
The only advice I woud give to a new shooter of the XD is to give it a good wipe down on a regular basis. The finish is a bit weak and does not stand up to alot of abuse.
Enjoy and be safe!
He's got the bi-tone, he should be ok. Never hurts to wipe it down but the stainless is a lot tougher than the normal blued slides.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
The WWB is a decent practice ammo, and you can buy the 100 round "value pack" at Wal-Mart for a little over $10.00.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies.

Glad to hear that the Winchester stuff is decent ammo. I'll definately check out the prices at my local Wally World. I hope to give the XD a workout someday soon, and at some point try to get my carry permit.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Welcome kerank. Congrats on your new found
machine. Hang around here and you will find out
why so many other people made the same decision
that you did.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I wipe my XD ( actually all my weapons ) after I handle or shoot them and have not had a single problem

just keep it clean!!!!!

.......oh and shoot the hell out of it!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome aboard,

I shoot 100 round white box and also CCI aluminum cased ammo I buy at Academy for $84.00 per 1,000. That includes Tax. It shoots great for practice. I have never had any problems with this ammo. You will love this gun.

Merry Christmas,

-- Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts