Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't take full credit for the work because a fellow member on this forum told me how but I am very proud of myself anyways. Anyone can do this at home in there livingroom watching tv as did I. All it takes is 2 supplys from Walmart for a grand total of 5 dollars. And about 20minutes or so of your time. If anyone cares to try, please IM me on AIM, or PM me anytime.

Ok now no one make fun of my horrible camera skills and or horrible lighting. I had to keep moving the gun all around the house to get it in the right position and keep turning the lights off because light kept blinging from the barrel!!! :D

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/juliesramair/album?.dir=792a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/juliesramair/my_photos

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I checked it and that link should work for everyone, I dont know why but when I individually tested the pictures/properties, and then pasted them here under the IMG thing they did not work so I dunno, whatever. If that link doesn't work for everyone let me know so I can think of something else.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
You need to find a hobby. Too much time on your hands. I like my barrel like my coffee, black. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
im a newbie so please excuse my ignorance, what did you sand? Was it the slide where ejected shells come through?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, I think you have been a member longer than I have, im a newb too.

the part that is silver, use to be black. :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
That part of the barrel, I call it the hood or the block, will show wear marks from normal operation. I think there are a few guys here who have polished the barrel block just like you did. I think it looks fine. I also hear that it's not hard to keep rust free -- just a light coat of CLP after cleaning should do the trick. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, cool I didn't know that. Now when I hear people say hood I will know what they ment, lol.

Whats CLP, is that just a gun oil?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just to please myself untill the EFK ported 6incher comes into stock

I just thought it would look cool

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Take a polish wheel and white rouge to itt, and it will be really shiny (as long as you took all/most of the metal imperfections off)

I did mine because the wear marks made the gun look bad.. It's purdy now and rust free

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yaaaaa, thats another reason I did it....forgot, lol.

I wanted to polish it some how but I don't have a Dremel. Anything else I could do though? I really want it more shiny...

Do you have any pics of yours?

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Maybe some Brasso and a piece of thin cardboard from a soda box. Put the brasso on the cardboard (just a little) and rub like hell. I took deep scratches out of my dress uniform buckle that way. But that was brass.

Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
In boot camp.. (NAVY) they give you your brass belt buckle (plastic coated) and "allow" you make it shiny. After that experience, shining the barrel of an XD is not even work.

Brasso will work fine.. Brasso and time.. that's all you need.

Raymond

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool, I tried IMing you on AIM

Did you use anything to polish it or whatever those other guys where talking about?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Hey XD 40 Mike! I am glad it worked for you. Looks good. Now get some more range time!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did mine last week. Used blue remover, never-dull wadding polish, steel wool 000 fine, and a dremel with a polishing wheel that had the polishing stuff already in it. Then finished it off with Armadillo for rust protection. Only did the two exposed sides. Almost a mirror finish.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts