Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd throw this up for everyone to read because I know we've all seen the torture tests.

My dad accidentally dropped his slide in the sand today at the range (trying to see why his laser guide rod was not working) and when he put the gun back together and tried to fire a shot, the firing pin channel was so full of sand it wasn't hitting the primer with enough pressure. I chuckled and he said my gun couldn't do any better. I took my slide off, dropped it right side up in the sand, kicked some sand on top of it, cleaned out the rail channels and blew the loose stuff off (same as we had done with his) and put it back on my gun. Listening to the grinding noise was horrible for me, but the gun ate every round of Wolf and Winchester 115gr FMJ it was fed with zero issues.

Also hit the 900rd mark today too, with zero issues. I <3 my XD. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because he said my gun wouldn't work if I did that and I knew it would.

It's not a safe queen, it's a tool I keep around to defend myself if I need to. If it won't work with a little sand in it, what good is it? If I dropped it on the ground in a fight with some bad guy, and it got dirt in it and jammed, I'd probably be SOL.

I'll clean it and oil it and it'll go back into the case when I'm in the car or the night stand when I'm home. I don't drag it down the road behind my car seeing how much it takes before it goes off with a round chambered, or throw it out of an airplane (lol). Getting some sand in the gun can be expected in a real life situation and will be prepared for as such.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because his gun didn't work when full of sand and other crud? It's all clearly told in the first post... :)

I just got done cleaning both of them too... mine is still a little gritty but I don't have a set of punches to take out everything from the frame.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Because his gun didn't work when full of sand and other crud? It's all clearly told in the first post... :)

I just got done cleaning both of them too... mine is still a little gritty but I don't have a set of punches to take out everything from the frame.
I think the question here is.... What was your Dad shooting? Gun & Ammo?
Just for comparison sake:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,827 Posts

I follow you brother! Well I am glad you had the opportunity to do it! And I am also glad you shared your results! I wanted to do my own test, but trying to purposely drop my weapon, my hand won't let go!!
I bet you had a BIG grin on your face!! Good Job!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, sorry for the snappy reply last night :) I was a little tired.

Dad was shooting this Sigma he got for like $200 with a guide rod laser installed. Ammo was Wolf 185gr .40S&W FMJ for him and Wolf 115gr 9mm FMJ for me.

I bet his revolver wouldn't jam like that, but still. He did beat me score-wise so we were even I guess haha

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Lol, sorry for the snappy reply last night :) I was a little tired.

Dad was shooting this Sigma he got for like $200 with a guide rod laser installed. Ammo was Wolf 185gr .40S&W FMJ for him and Wolf 115gr 9mm FMJ for me.

I bet his revolver wouldn't jam like that, but still. He did beat me score-wise so we were even I guess haha
Yeah, but a good score only counts, IF you can count on your gun, right? :lol:

·
Registered
329 Posts
man that was totally awesome. i bet your dad goes and buys an xd now. i think that ws totally the best sales pitch ever. they are truly amazing pieces for the duty minded. keep shooting straight and nevermind the nay sayers. i have gone3 over 1000 rounds with out cleaning mine and shot many different rounds through it during that time and no problems. good stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts