Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What success or issues are folks seeing with suppressors on the SAINT Victor 300 Blackout Pistol?
Did you have to make adjustments to the gas block or was it OK suppressed right out of the box?

I currently have a Surefire SOCOM762-RC suppressor ,and a spare Surefire suppressor compatible flash hider adapter 5/8"-24 thread pitch.
I currently swap the SOCOM762-RC between a SCAR17S and a LaRue OBR, both 7.62x51; want to add the SOCOM762-RC to the SAINT Victor 300BLK pistol. Surefire CS says the SOCOM762-RC should have no issues with 300 AAC BLK ammo.

Any experience (good and bad), issues, or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:
I have been experimenting with different ammo types suppressed and unsuppressed using the Surefire SOCOM762-RC and my SAINT Victor 300 Blackout pistol.
I had to swap out the factory gas-value screw with the provided tuning gas-value screw. The tunable gas-value sweet spot to handle various grain weights in both supersonic/subsonic and suppressed/unsuppressed was 1/2 open.

No problems with various supersonic ammo - didn't expect any issues.

Subsonic Ammo used was Hornady, Magtech, Black Hills, Fiocchi and Underwood grain weights 190 to 220 cycled reliably, EXCEPT Hornady 190gr Subsonic.
I even open the gas-value to 3/4 and the Hornady 190gr would not reliable lock-back and had some double feeds. The Hornady subsonic ammo left behind unburnt powder yellow balls/flakes though out the receiver; this occurred more with suppressed, but did also occur unsuppressed. It appears to me the Hornady 190gr (lowest grain weight of all subsonic ammo tested) is also using a slow burning powder that was optimized for 16" barrels/mid barrel gas value and not a 9" barrel/pistol gas value like the SAINT Victor.

What I settled with for suppressed and unsuppressed was:
  • Defensive Ammo Subsonic: Underwood Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout Subsonic 194 Grain Lehigh Maximum Expansion Lead-Free
  • Training Ammo Subsonic: Magtech First Defense Tactical Subsonic, .300 AAC Blackout, FMJ, 200 Grain
  • Defensive/Hunting Ammo Supersonic: Hornady Custom Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout 135 Grain FTX
  • Training Ammo Supersonic: Hornady American Gunner, .300 AAC Blackout, HP, 125 Grain

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Saint, but I did have a similar experience with the Hornady ammo. I was using the 208 gr. Hornady black and it didn't have enough oomph behind it to cycle either my 9 inch or my 7.5. The 200 gr Magtech cycled both of these fine. It also filled my receiver with all that yellow crap you mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sasqwatch2,
Yesterday, I tried the 208gr Hornady A-MAX Black 300 AAC with my SAINT Victor 300 Blackout Pistol, suppressed and unsuppressed. Still had gas value tuned to 1/2 open (i.e. the sweet spot) for my proven ammo types (i.e. subsonic and supersonic listed in my post of 26 Dec 2019).
+ Loaded 7 rounds of A-MAX (1050fps): 6 rounds cycles correctly, Suppressed. 7th round cycled but failed magazine lock-back. Receiver had less unburnt powder residue than the Hornaday 190gr Subsonic, but their was still yellow balls/flakes of powder in every nook & cranny of the receiver. .
+ Loaded 7 rounds Unsuppressed: Same reaction as with Suppressed.

My findings and opinion leads to the conclusion that Hornady subsonic .300 AAC ammo types are optimized for 16in barrel/mid-barrel direct impingement gas system rifles/carbines and not optimized for short barrel/pistol gas direct impingement systems.
It would be interesting to see how a 9 and 7.5 inch gas-pistol system would handle Hornaday's subsonic .300 AAC Blackout?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts