Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, hopefully you sent it back again dirty, lousy with all the brass shavings still in place.

If you were looking for a defensive use weapon, I would say an AR is fine, but not in 300blk. Your testing and seeing the wide variety of power levels, and functional differences in commercial ammo is pretty much all I should have to say on that subject. Soft Point 5.56/223 is plenty capable while dropping in lethality by A LOT after just 2 layers of drywall.

But, that's hindsight stuff at this point, hopefully your pistol gets sorted out quickly.
Yep, sent it back dirty, full of brass shavings, with about a dozen variably damaged empty casings. Sent them an email with specifics, and a link to the video, too.

When I say "ideal defensive weapon" I really mean ideal for my situation. My dominant hand was recently injured, and I'm having a hard time shooting traditional pistols. So I wanted a gun I can shoot like a rifle, carry loaded in my truck, or on my person if need be, wield in tight spaces, not throw blinding fireballs, and not blow my ears out. I can't carry a loaded rifle in NH. I wouldn't want to run 5.56 in a sub 10" barrel. So 300blk fit the bill since it'll achieve design performance in 8 inches, 45ACP ballistics (saving my hearing/awareness) for indoor use, or reach out 300 yards/drop a bear with a mag change.

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
This gun is UNDERGASSED. By, like, a LOT. I'm suspecting burr in the gas port, or undersized gas port.

But yeah, agreed, and mind changed, off the shelf, it should work as you'd expect.
of course it has an undersized gas port. that is why they just plugged off the adjuster hole, to save themselves the extra $0.25 and adjustable screw would have cost. If it was correct, they would have to spend that extra quarter or it would be drastically over-gassed.

If they don't re-drill the gas port, they are just wasting time.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
This gun is UNDERGASSED. By, like, a LOT. I'm suspecting burr in the gas port, or undersized gas port.

But yeah, agreed, and mind changed, off the shelf, it should work as you'd expect.
You should see more of the stupid errors I make in day to day texting...I probably need more sleep, less alcohol and a reasonable diet but that's not as much fun...

But yeah. Undergassed....I'm a retard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update:

I took posession of my Saint from my dealership today. It hadn't yet shipped back to SA due to the holiday, and I wanted to do further testing (I will include a video shortly).

I dropped in an aftermarket FailZero nickel boron BCG to test with. This eliminated all issues related to damaged brass, and difficulty cycling manually. However, while subsonic rounds did cycle a majority of the time, it was a slim majority. As such the gun is almost certainly undergassed, as well as having an out-of-spec bolt. So, to the gas...

So, according to the SA repair paperwork they adjusted the gas block and test fired it, and it worked... I pulled the set screw out today, and it wasn't adjustable. That's right, SA lied to me about what they did to fix my gun. Clearly, there's no way to adjust a non-adjustable set screw. I'm pissed.

I called SA with this new information demanding the following, and SA refusing in the following order: 1. a refund, 2. a replacement gun, 3. a new upper, 4. a guarantee that if I sent it back they would put a new upper on it. Nada. They won't play ball. They say all I can do is send it back, no guarantee they'll fix it, and no maximum number of returns before they replace my gun.

I'm not going to send it back to them to further tinker with, and lie about, on such a potentially dangerous product. Why did they polish the chamber, anyway? Did they even actually do that? Ain't gonna happen. As of now I've filed a small claims lawsuit against SA under my states consumer protection statute, as well as false advertising, breach of warranty, and fraud. I'm hoping they don't actually make me go through with a jury trial against them (although I will). I need a refund on this POS.

Video incoming shortly

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
I don't think any of us think you are. It sucks you got a lemon and they're dragging their feet with it.

Gonna keep sending it in or just have decent AR builder take a look at it and maybe punch out the port or just spend 200 bucks on a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't think any of us think you are. It sucks you got a lemon and they're dragging their feet with it.

Gonna keep sending it in or just have decent AR builder take a look at it and maybe punch out the port or just spend 200 bucks on a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel?
Thanks.

Since they've refused to provide me with a refund, a replacement gun, or even a replacement upper, and I cannot trust them to work on it after having failed to fix it, and lied to me about repairs last time, I'm not sending it back to them. They have a choice of settling with me, or defending themselves in small claims court in NH where the minimum damages are $1,000, and they could face punitive damages several times this.

In other news I broke down the gun today for cleaning and inspection. The gun was full of metal shavings (brass and aluminum), and I discovered the threading on the barrel seems to be WAY off center. It looks so off I don't think I could put a suppressor on it without baffle strikes. It actually looks like the A2 birdcage may have taken a strike at some point. Video below.

So, win or lose, I think the upper on this gun needs to be junked. The barrel is threaded wrong, the bolt is out of spec, and seems to have gouged the receiver. After whatever they did, plus the length of time the gun stayed dirty, the feed ramps seem to be rusting. I also suspect brass has been imbedded into the barrel due to all the shavings.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
BCM has been having QC issues lately too...they've put out some TERRIBLE looking BCG's. Especially when they want 160 bucks when you can get a nice Toolcraft for 60 damn dollars VIA Palmetto State Armory's premium offering.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
BCM has been having QC issues lately too...they've put out some TERRIBLE looking BCG's. Especially when they want 160 bucks when you can get a nice Toolcraft for 60 damn dollars VIA Palmetto State Armory's premium offering.
I ordered a couple of PSA’s NiB BCG’s for $89...compare ‘em to my FZ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Did you take the bird cage off and confirm it's the barrel threads that are not concentric?
I did not. I gave it a college try, and it's on damn tight. I don't want to mess with anything too much until the suit is resolved. Once it is, depending on how it goes, I may just break the whole upper apart piece by piece on video before I scrap it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with your conclusion.
So sad! I am moving out of CA. I am also planning on getting a few guns once out of the communist state. One I was looking at getting was the SAINT™ AR-15 Pistol. Now I think I will look somewhere else.:cry:
Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So sad! I am moving out of CA. I am also planning on getting a few guns once out of the communist state. One I was looking at getting was the SAINT™ AR-15 Pistol. Now I think I will look somewhere else.:cry:
Please keep us updated.
As much as I hate to turn people off a company due to one bad product, given the failure of customer service, I don't think I could recommend Springfield to anyone. They've certainly lost a customer permanently in me. Just contrasting this experience with PSA, a cut-rate, although decent quality gun maker, it's night and day.

I reevaluated the flash hider today, and I'm less sure about the severity of that problem. Internal damage to the upper receiver due to gouging from the Sharp BCG is not extensive. I'm more optimistic I can ultimately save the upper receiver, replace the barrel, swap the gas tube/block, drop in a FZ BCG, and maybe have a functioning gun.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts