Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a post on Craigslist for 1800 lbs of lead from a sailboat. He wants 1500 for it. I'm not calling that a deal as a lot of lead is free but might be a great source of lead if someone is junking one. Worth the hassle???

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
The price of plain lead is still hovering around $.98-1.00 I believe, so that price and quantity comes out to 83.3 cents per pound. Not bad at all, but I'm sure you could do better somewhere. The real question I would have is how hard is this lead to extract from the keel into a usable form?

I assume you're using this for reloading. I don't yet reload, but I understand that a lot of guys put some other metal into the lead when they cast it to harden it a bit, maybe antimony. Have to factor that into total cost if applicable.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
It will look like this, sorta

and can be cleaned with a hull cleaner. Sounds like more of a sailboat keel price than a salvage lead price....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't reload yet either but it seemed that a ton of lead in one stop would beat collecting wheel weights. The ad says its in one big block, I would have to be cautious putting that weight in one area on my car hauler.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Not a deal at all, but if you can get it down to scrap price & can haul it, go or it. Hauling & cutting it up are the big hassles.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Cutting up big chunks of lead with a hammer and chisel isn't much fun.

And that would take a real big lead pot as is.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
.83/# for scrap lead? He's insane. My local metal yard won't give me NEAR that much! As others have said, hard to handle, too. Let him keep it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Cutting up big chunks of lead with a hammer and chisel isn't much fun.

And that would take a real big lead pot as is.
Actually, a lot of guys use a chain saw with old blade, cutting oil. Get it into bite size, 15-20# pieces. The other thing to check, is it lead? It could be zinc alloy. I would take a hammer to it, if it dents easily, it's castable alloy. If it rings like a bell, pass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts