Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this weekend I was going to buy a WASR-10, but I think I'm going to go the other rought and buy a Saiga and convert it over. I was checking on everything I would need to do it. I already know I will need a new stock, pistol grip, and hang guards. I also read that they dont have a bullet guide installed. I was also going to put a muzzle break on there as well. Is that everything I would need to do the basic conversion?

Sorry for my newbish questions. The AK is ground I have not yet explored.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
There are rules as to how many parts have to be US made.
Stupid rules..
There's a place that will sell you the feed ramp and screw/tap and you do the work. www.dinzagarms.com
It's easy if done right.
That will convert it from a 10 round mag to 30 round Saiga mags.
They are not compatible with most AK mags.
There is a saiga forum out there that gives you all you'll need to know.
Can't get to it from work or I'd give you the direct links to what you need.
Great site.
Saiga is more of a hunting rifle than a spray and pray weapon like the AK47..
Tighter tolerances, more accurate.

I've got one and when I first got it I got really into it and had all that info, but at work I don't have access to that info.

I'm keeping my Saiga, but I have a couple AK47s to get rid of.
One never fired and the other has about 200 rounds through it.
Both are nice but I just don't get the chance to use them and need to find them a good home. I don't like having neglected weapons.

Have fun with yours. :D

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
You will need to install at least five US-made parts on your Saiga to make it compliant. Most often those parts are: fire-control group (hammer, sear, disconnector) which count as three, pistol grip, and stock. Many people will go further and change out the forward furniture as well, but you'll need a few extra parts for that.

For a basic conversion you will need to:
*Purchase or make a bullet guide, and drill and tap one hole to install it
*File a small amount of material off the top of the mag catch so it will accept standard AK mags
*Remove the existing buttstock
*Drill out and remove the two pins holding the stock trigger
*Remove the entire stock fire-control group--save the disconnector spring
*Drill out the three rivets holding the receiver bottom plate on
*Paint the exposed underside of the receiver
*Either trim and reuse the stock trigger guard, or purchase a new one
*Install a new FCG, preferably with a steel axis pin retainer plate
*Reinstall the stock bolt hold-open if desired
*Install a new pistol grip
*Install a new stock

I wanted a more traditional look for mine, and the ability to use regular AK furniture up front, so I:

*Removed the stock front handguard
*Installed a new US-made gas piston (optional, but another compliance part)
*Purchased a new gas tube
*Purchased a bolt-on lower handguard retainer
*Purchased new upper and lower front handguards
*Will be finishing it off with a '74-style muzzle brake whenever I get around to it

Here's a pic of my (mostly) finished rifle:

The beauty of the Saiga is it's all new-manufactured parts, including a chome-lined barrel, and you have the versatility in a conversion to take it as far or as simple as you want to go. Many of the conversion parts can be purchased from Dinzag Arms, Milsurpstuff, or Carolina Shooter Supply, but there are other sites as well.

Feel free to post any questions here, or over at forum.Saiga-12.com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for helping me out. I'm sure glad I asked as there is more to it than I thought. I'll be going to a gun show tomarrow, and hopefully will be able to pick up a Saiga. I'll begin the conversion as soon as I can get the parts ordered to my house.

Dan- Great job, nice looking rifle.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you end up not wanting to convert it yourself, Classic Arms has a good deal on converted ones.

Classic Arms Inc.

DIY is always more fun though.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Don't pay more than $350.00-$375.00 for a Saiga 7.62x39 in import form.

Here is what I did with mine.
Everything you need to know is covered at S12.com.
Or feel free to PM me, I've done a few Saiga conversions, and love to help. :D

1 TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA RIFLE MODIFIED FIRE CONTROL GROUP @ $47.50 = $47.50
1 TRIGGER GUARD MOUNTING HARDWARE @ $0.95 = $0.95
1 GRIP AK/SAIGA GRIP SCREW AND BUSHING SET @ $6.60 = $6.60
1 TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS @ $0.95 = $0.95
1 BULLET GUIDE- ROUND TRUNNION 7.62X39 WITH DRILL AND TAP SET @ $18.95 = $18.95
1 AK47 14X1 PHANTOM FLASH HIDER @ $20.85 = $20.85
1 M4 STYLE STOCK MAGPUL MOE SET W/ALUMINUM TUBE (BLACK) @ $132.95 = $132.95
1 GRIP AK/SAIGA HOGUE FINGER GROOVE <B>BLACK</B> @ $22.75 = $22.75

Sub-Total: $251.50
Shipping: $12.00
Sales Tax: $0.00

carolinashooterssupply.com Total: $263.50

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news!! I went to the gun show today and bought a Saiga in 7.62x39. Now all I have to do is wait through the stupid California ten day waiting period. I can pick it up on the 31st. I think until then, I'm going to order what I need to do the conversion, and hopefully it will all be here by the time I pick it up.

Thanks for all the links and advice everyone!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Good news!! I went to the gun show today and bought a Saiga in 7.62x39. Now all I have to do is wait through the stupid California ten day waiting period. I can pick it up on the 31st. I think until then, I'm going to order what I need to do the conversion, and hopefully it will all be here by the time I pick it up.

Thanks for all the links and advice everyone!!
So, may I ask what you paid for it at a show?
New or used?
Converted?
Dimpled receiver?
DoM?
16" or 21" barrel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, may I ask what you paid for it at a show? With the fees that Californians have to pay for the background check (which is why we have to wait 10 days until pick up) and tax it came out to over $400. Because of the background check and all that it would be hard for me to find one OTD for under $400 here unless maybe it was used.
New or used? It is new.
Converted? No. They had a converted one at the same table, but it was way out of my price range at over $800. Even if I had the money I would not have purchased it simply because I can buy all parts myself and do it, and still have saved atleast a couple hundred. Plus, it will be a fun project.
Dimpled receiver? To be honest, I can't really say for sure, but I dont think so. I dont remember seeing dimples along the mag well.
DoM? DoM?
16" or 21" barrel? I got the 16" version.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Shooter, if you are in California, you might want to check state laws before doing any work on the gun. You could find yourself in federal compliance but still violateing state law.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Buying new in Kali, it'll already have a bullet button installed.
Thats one step outta'da way to a Kali compliant build.

DoM/DOM, is Date of Manufacture.
The reason I ask is because the 09's, with certain other qualifiers, have a decent chance (60%) of having a factory threaded barrel beneath the FSB's shroud.
Those qualifiers being, 09' DOM, non-stepped chamber, round trunnion, barrel notched, dimpled receiver and receiver already cut for pistol grip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The biggest thing in Cali is whether its an AR or an AK, it has to have a bullet button, or a mag locking device that requires the use of a tool to remove it (a bullet qualifies as a tool). Or, as I understand it, a loophole to this is you dont have to have a bullet button as long as there is not a pistol grip on the same rifle. Or something like that. Cali has done a great job on making it overly complicated. Its annoying, but if I have to live with a bullet button for now I will. I'm already used to having one on my AR. The other thing is the magazine cannot have a capacity of over 10 rounds. If I keep those requirements true to my rifle (which I have every intent to), then I think the rifle should remain legal even with the conversion. However, USCS I agree with you and would rather be safe than sorry, so I am trying to register over at Calguns where I intend to ask if the conversion is in fact legal here, but I am having problems registering. For some reason I cant log into my email account to recieve the confirmation email. I will try again tomarrow. I tried looking at the DOJ's website, but I just get more confused on everything the more I'm on that site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts