Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall i was looking at the ruger mini 14 but then stumbled on the saiga autoloading rifle and think that for the money its a better deal and a much nicer looking rifle "price wise and astetically"
so my question is since i would be using this as a shtf type rile which caliber would you guys think is my best option??
they offer it in .223,7.62x39,and .308
theyre all about the same price so which is more versatile?
this is the .223 in 16' barrel they also off a 20" barrel

the 7.62 in 16" which they also offer in 20 in barrel

and the .308 they offer in 16 inch barrel and a 22 inch barrel but i cant get the picture to load
oh and they offer a 30-06
im thinking either the .308 or 30-06 but may bo with the .223 i wish they offered it in a 5.56 because i would most likely go with that since that round has a flat trajectory

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd go with 7.62...the ammo is cheaper.
cheaper than he 308 or 30-06 but not .223 i assume right?
ive never priced any kinda fun ammo like that but im sure like my .40 ammo its through the roof

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
cheaper than he 308 or 30-06 but not .223 i assume right?
ive never priced any kinda fun ammo like that but im sure like my .40 ammo its through the roof
I'm not sure how much 7.62 is right now, but .223 is quite expensive.

You might want to spend some time looking at ammo prices before you make your decision...

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
I'm not sure how much 7.62 is right now, but .223 is quite expensive.

You might want to spend some time looking at ammo prices before you make your decision...
i've seen 7.62 online for as cheap as 19 cents a round...whereas .223 your looking at 25-30 cents a round at least....multiplied over 1000 rounds you save quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so ill go with the 7.62
its probably a better round anyways than the .223
i was gonna get a mini 14 or a mini 30 but when i found out about the saiga guns i fell in love and they are a third of the price and everything ive read they are a reliable gun and dont have the accuracy issues that the mini 14/30 has

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I like my Saiga 7.62 alot. You can find a ton of ammo (surplus even) at most gun shows. Saiga mags are expensive but you can mod AK mags to work in the Saiga.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my Saiga 7.62 alot. You can find a ton of ammo (surplus even) at most gun shows. Saiga mags are expensive but you can mod AK mags to work in the Saiga.
yeah i figures since it is a very similar gun
i looked at ammo to go and they seem to be about the same price for fmj ammo for .223 or 7.62 but im assuming the 7.62 is a bigger/better round for shtf and hunting in general although either will take something down with a properly placed shot
i guess ill go with the 7.62
is it 7.62x39 or 7.62x54r for that gun?i just dont feel like searching

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I have the Saiga .308 and love it! Got a good deal couldn't pass it up, now its one of my hunting rifles.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
i looked at ammo to go and they seem to be about the same price for fmj ammo for .223 or 7.62 but im assuming the 7.62 is a bigger/better round for shtf and hunting in general although either will take something down with a properly placed shot
7.62x39

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
7.62x39...the .54R is a rimmed round and it usually used by bolt actions like the Mosin-Nagant.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
nevermind its 7.62x39
now the question is 16 or 20 inch barrel

Mine is my SHTF gun so I went with a 16" as it's easier to maneuver with as well as easier to transport discretely. For most combat style rifles I think I prefer shorter barrels (my thought is if you need that much better ballistics at longer ranges, you should probably be using a different gun altogether.)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought a 16" x39...waiting for it to get here.

If you want to use the AK or other mags with more then 10 round capacity, make sure you read up on 992r compliance...it's that whole confusing thing about having no more then 10 foreign made parts. Forum.saiga-12.com has some really good posts on it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont think i would but since alot of people say its an ak variant do i need any paperwork like i would with an actualy ak or is it just like buying any other rifle?
i know it seems stupid but im just trying to figure out exactly how much money i would need

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
well if you get the .223 get the dragonov stock its much more ergonomic with the pistol grip

Saiga .223 Rifle with Thumbhole Stock

i have been looking into the saigas i am not sure if i can mod the mags to get a last shot bolt hold open, i know i can on the 7.62x39 unit saiga.

on the plus side of getting the 7.62 saigas you get a brand spanking new russian made AK, you can use cheap steel ak 47 mags which you can get in new to like new condition for $12.

if you get the .223 unit, it somes with low capicity plastic mags, you can buy expensice new plastic mags, or mod it to accept AK/galil mags, and supposedly ohio rapid fire ORF used to sell a ar15 mag adapter, but no longer sells them.

I wouldnt do any of the mods unless i was sure it would be jsut as reliable as a regualr ak 47. SHTF is no time to be fiddlig with half azz mags that you modded that are picky, i want plug and play and know my mags will feed bullets, and the bullets go bang.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a 16" x39...waiting for it to get here.

If you want to use the AK or other mags with more then 10 round capacity, make sure you read up on 992r compliance...it's that whole confusing thing about having no more then 10 foreign made parts. Forum.saiga-12.com has some really good posts on it.
i was just on the saiga forum
this is what i was looking at ordering from them
Welcome to Arms of America LLC
just have them ship my ffl

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
well if you get the .223 get the dragonov stock its much more ergonomic with the pistol grip

Saiga .223 Rifle with Thumbhole Stock

i have been looking into the saigas i am not sure if i can mod the mags to get a last shot bolt hold open, i know i can on the 7.62x39 unit saiga.

on the plus side of getting the 7.62 saigas you get a brand spanking new russian made AK, you can use cheap steel ak 47 mags which you can get in new to like new condition for $12.

if you get the .223 unit, it somes with low capicity plastic mags, you can buy expensice new plastic mags, or mod it to accept AK/galil mags, and supposedly ohio rapid fire ORF used to sell a ar15 mag adapter, but no longer sells them.

I wouldnt do any of the mods unless i was sure it would be jsut as reliable as a regualr ak 47. SHTF is no time to be fiddlig with half azz mags that you modded that are picky, i want plug and play and know my mags will feed bullets, and the bullets go bang.
You find galil to AR adapters at the auctions, expensive. Century has Weiger mags...lots of them too. Best 5.56 mags out there.

A 20" barrel just gives you a longer sight radius, it offers nothing in the way of power or range on the 7.62x39 round. And the '06 Saiga is a bit different than the Saigas you are showing in this thread.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts