Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else here prefer the traditional sporter stock on the Saiga?
Maybe it's just my age, but I never cared for the pistol grip setup. When I was in Vietnam, I of course was issued the M-16. I was never comfortable with it.
I guess I like all of my long guns to fit me the same.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Having fired my S12 both ways I prefer having the pistol grip. I feel that it gives greater control and stability. It does make sense though that you would prefer the factory configuration for the sake of consistency between firearms.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's widely held that the trigger on unconverted Saigas is unacceptable for anything but the most casual noise-making. And the commonly-used Tapco G2 trigger is usually better than standard AK triggers; to go from the sporter trigger to the Tapco is like night and day.

But there is something about Monte Carlo stocks if you've got room to swing them around in. I like 'em on bolt-actions best.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's widely held that the trigger on unconverted Saigas is unacceptable for anything but the most casual noise-making. And the commonly-used Tapco G2 trigger is usually better than standard AK triggers; to go from the sporter trigger to the Tapco is like night and day.

But there is something about Monte Carlo stocks if you've got room to swing them around in. I like 'em on bolt-actions best.
Well, the trigger's fixable.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fixable? With a Tapco and moving it, it is. I keep hearing complaints of painful (to your finger backlash) from these complex-linkage Saiga sporter triggers. Try it and see if you still like it after a few hundred rounds. If you do, no biggie. If not, still no biggie – change it to a "real" AK.

As an aside, I too like the Saiga sporter styling, especially if I were using it for hunting, but that lousy trigger is an accuracy disadvantage. All my AKs wear folding stocks, so they can be concealed more easily in my truck. Learned the need for this during Katrina.

CX

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Hi Frenchy,
nice to see ya around, I heard you had health issues, I take it you're better?
I know a little about Saigas and have some input for you.

Some do indeed like the sporter import config, but few like the el'cheapo polymer that comes with 98% of'em.
Very badly balanced and just feels like a POS, which it is.

You can easily pick-up the rifle new with the nice Russian wood (usually birch), or from someone who took theirs off and want to sell.
You can get the Monte Carlo or Thumbhole stocks and the standard Saiga forearm.
The wood Monte Carlos are pretty nice and balance out the rifle fairly well.
Not as good as a conversion, but a danged sight better than the cheap polymer.

The thumbhole stocked rifles do not have the highly disagreeable linkage, thus no need to convert.
And the original trigger is usually more than acceptable, even pretty good, with a little TLC.

See my Saiga.308-ver.21 for example.

Neither do the Saiga series 100 rifles, which I may add, are indeed rare in the USA.
Nice one here, it was black polymer, but it has been camo'd.
The few who have'em have rated them highly.
Saiga 100 .308 308 Win 21.8" Bl/Camo DEMO NEW! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

The shat sporter's trigger linkage can be dealt with to a degree, some tweaking and polishing, but in my opinion, it'll never be respectable.
It is purely a problematic solution to a problem known as the Alphabet Gang. :evil:

But I digress.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
See my Saiga.308-ver.21 for example..

That rail looks real nice who makes that?
And that's the 308 cal saiga? I was going to build an amd 65 kit but for the same price I could have a saiga and convert it and get all new parts. What cal would you recommend? I'm torn between the 7.62 and the 308.
thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks CR for the valuable information. I understand that Either Dinzag or Carolina makes a modified Tapco G-2 for the non-converted Saiga.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
See my Saiga.308-ver.21 for example..

That rail looks real nice who makes that?
And that's the 308 cal saiga? I was going to build an amd 65 kit but for the same price I could have a saiga and convert it and get all new parts. What cal would you recommend? I'm torn between the 7.62 and the 308.
thanks for the info
Texas Weapons Systems, Dog Leg Rail, Gen I
The Gen I is not readily available since TWS put out the Gen II.
The Gen II is a integrated rail/dust cover.
Texas Weapon Systems AK47 solutions

Which Saiga to get? All of'em! :twisted:

I have three, 7.62x39, 12g and the .308-ver.21
The 7.62 & 12g I converted.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks CR for the valuable information. I understand that Either Dinzag or Carolina makes a modified Tapco G-2 for the non-converted Saiga.
Not that I'm aware of.
But, being the curious guy that I am, I just emailed some questions to Greg/CSS about FCGs for unconverted rifles.
I didn't see anything at Dinzag, but one item at CSS had me wondering.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
471 Posts
FYI, you only need the modified-for-Saiga trigger if you intend to keep the bolt-hold-open catch and use Saiga-specific magazines, since the BHO interacts with the magazine follower. If you add a bullet guide to the Saiga to use surplus magazines, that BHO will be of no use.

On top of it, some people don't like where it sticks out on a converted rifle. That being said: you can modify (cut the corner off) the BHO to make it less intrusive, and from time to time you can find l-shaped levers that work great.

Although there is a good reason to buy from Dinzag no matter what: he's awesome, a real staple member of the Saiga community. Plus he polishes them for you, if I recall correctly; both modified and unmodified triggers.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering the cost of the Saiga Mags, The bullet guide is an inexpensive upgrade.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I really didn't like the feel of the cheap hollow plastic stock, so I've replaced it w/ wood.
I like my Saiga with the traditional "Battle Rifle" look.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really didn't like the feel of the cheap hollow plastic stock, so I've replaced it w/ wood.
I like my Saiga with the traditional "Battle Rifle" look.

That's a great look Yuppi, but as a "southpaw" the monte carlo stock would be a problem.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'll be interested in what you learn.
This may have been what I looked at, Chili..
TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA/AK-47 <b>DOUBLE HOOK</b> G2
Hi Greg,
this trigger is for a unconverted Saiga, and keeps the ****** import linkage intact?
How does it improve the trigger, e.g. prevent trigger slap, while keeping the linkage?
Trying to help someone who is adamant about not converting. :/
If this doesn't do as I inquire, is there a FCG that does?
How can one improve the sloppy/lousy trigger of the stock rifle/

Regards,
John
There is no trigger group for an unconverted gun.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Queen

Carolina Shooters Supply Inc.
P.O.Box 1284
Murrells Inlet SC 29576
Office(843)267-9084
Fax(843)357-8458

www.CarolinaShootersSupply.com

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
FYI, you only need the modified-for-Saiga trigger if you intend to keep the bolt-hold-open catch and use Saiga-specific magazines, since the BHO interacts with the magazine follower. If you add a bullet guide to the Saiga to use surplus magazines, that BHO will be of no use.
True & false,
the barrel of the trigger is shortened on the right side to allow room for the BHO lever.
However, the hammer itself still needs to be modified.

Wrong,
the factory BHO on the Saiga does NOT operate off the magazine/mag follower. It operates on the bolt/bolt carrier.
You can use the BHO on without a mag inserted.

On top of it, some people don't like where it sticks out on a converted rifle. That being said: you can modify (cut the corner off) the BHO to make it less intrusive.
Tru'dat.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Considering the cost of the Saiga Mags, The bullet guide is an inexpensive upgrade.
Bullet guide FTW!
Typically you can use both Saiga and Milsurp mags after filing the mag catch for milsurp usage. Simply file down the front to clear the bullet guide.

Milsurps are so inexpensive, plentiful and durable, that it really makes sense.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There's always pros and cons between two configuration, either way I'm fine with it, provided I get the proper training for it... I guess when it comes down to it, on a SHTF scenario and no other parts are available, I will use what I can find and adapt to the situation ASAP.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Greg,
this trigger is for a unconverted Saiga, and keeps the ****** import linkage intact?
How does it improve the trigger, e.g. prevent trigger slap, while keeping the linkage?
Trying to help someone who is adamant about not converting. :/
If this doesn't do as I inquire, is there a FCG that does?
How can one improve the sloppy/lousy trigger of the stock rifle/

Regards,
John
Thanks for clearing this up, Chili. Sounds like a little judicious smoothing and polishing is called for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts