Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bit of time and my bullet guide arrived from Dinzag, so I installed it yesterday. marking / drilling / tapping.. all went without a hitch.

then I put the bolt back on, but no spring and hand cycled it. it seemed to hang just a touch when going into battery, but that only lasted a few cycles then smoothed out.

then I worked on the mag catch.

then tested the to see if rounds properly fed off my std AK mag. the first couple weren't exactly smooth going in. but getting them to come out was a bear. the bolt hung up right at the beginning of rearward travel.

I had to put a bit of muscle to it to get the round free.

the next round ejected easier but still had a good bit of initial friction. I havent actually fired it yet, just hand cycled the action. it only has this hang with a round in place. with no rounds, the bolt moves freely.

my question is, is there a spot I can take a file to so the bolt cycles to the rear without the initial hang?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
When I installed mine I had a very similar problem (note: it might not be exactly the same as yours, but we'll see!) The bolt would hang up on the head of the screw (the holds the bullet guide in place). I just filed/sanded it down a slight bit and the bolt cleared without any problem. If this is your problem, go little by little. You don't want to take off more than you have to just because it'll be less contact with the allen wrench and more prone to stripping.

It sounds like this could be the problem. You may have "smoothed it" with the bolt itself enough for it to clear initially, but the pressure makes coming back a bit harder. If it's hanging up on the screw head, just take a little bit of metal off (basically "flatten" out the top) and you should be fine.

If it's hanging up on something else, then you may need to lightly sand/polish to make it smoother. Considering it's hanging up on something YOU installed (vs hanging up on something from the factory) it should be pretty fixable without too much risk.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Shoot a few hundred rounds thru it without cleaning..it will wear the high spots down

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.

I'll look at that screw head and see if it shows some paint-loss. I haven't put the loc-tite on the screw yet. I wanted to just install it and see how things were looking. if screw is showing wear, I'll go ahead with the loctite then help along the screw head wear a little.

I'll be at the range this weekend. I'll put a few mags thru it.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You may need to file on the top left edge of the bullet guide if you've installed it a little to the left or if the bullet guide is a bit oversized. (installing it too much toward the "C" position and not like a "U"). That's a critical clearance area and one place it could get hung up.

Also, make sure your chamber is clean. Maybe you have a burr or some extra grease in there. Especially since you mentioned it was hard to extract.

I had a bit of a hanging issue with my Saiga but it was due to the hammer hanging on the bolt carrier. If I opened the action and then eased it closed, it would hang on the hammer and not close. A little stoning of the carrier and the top edge of the hammer, along with shooting a few mags throught it smoothed it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, I looked again more closely and I see some new wear on the screw head. no probs. I have a small file that will take care of that once it's been loc-tited in place.

for this project I decided to take photos along the way. glad I did. from my in-process photos, I can plainly see that there was no wear on the screw head before I cycled with rounds. the wear appeared after.

check it out:

looking at the bolt, I see a new shiny spot, indicated on this photo. I think it was caused by the rotation of the bolt binding against the screw head.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I did mine basically like the first pic. Took a Starrett steel center punch and placed it on the guard just outside of the screw. Peened it until I had a small hole that overlapped the screw. Repeated on the other side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts