Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking around the idea of getting an AK-style rifle and I came across the Saiga .223 on the calguns forum. Has anyone had any experience with them or know if they are a good purchase?

Its either gonna be an AK or an AR and its hard to pass up the price of that Saiga.

·
Registered
19,694 Posts
I have been kicking around the idea of getting an AK-style rifle and I came across the Saiga .223 on the calguns forum. Has anyone had any experience with them or know if they are a good purchase?

Its either gonna be an AK or an AR and its hard to pass up the price of that Saiga.
I was seriously considering one myself, but went with a Kel-Tec SU-16a for not much more, made in the USA, pounds lighter and takes AR mags without modifying it.

I never read anything bad about the .223 version of the Saiga.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was seriously considering one myself, but went with a Kel-Tec SU-16a for not much more, made in the USA, pounds lighter and takes AR mags without modifying it.

I never read anything bad about the .223 version of the Saiga.

Thanks for the info! I looked at the Kel-Tec also (CA version) but they seem to be a bit more than the Saiga. Im looking to "sneak this one pass the wife". Which means $500 or less for the rifle.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It really is going to make you decide, AK or AR.

The Saiga .223/5.56 is a another great caliber variation of the AK platform.
Do know though, that it'd best be converted for best ergonomics and trigger.
So expect to spend more money atop the rifle's purchase price.
US Made stock, pistol grip, FCG, bullet button and forearm.
You can do the rifle+conversion for less than $500.

Also, the Saiga 5.45X39 would be much cheaper to keep fed, and IIRC, has slightly better ballistics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really is going to make you decide, AK or AR.

The Saiga .223/5.56 is a another great caliber variation of the AK platform.
Do know though, that it'd best be converted for best ergonomics and trigger.
So expect to spend more money atop the rifle's purchase price.
US Made stock, pistol grip, FCG, bullet button and forearm.
You can do the rifle+conversion for less than $500.

Also, the Saiga 5.45X39 would be much cheaper to keep fed, and IIRC, has slightly better ballistics.
Thats true Chilli. I have read that a few people have gotten dirty looks from people at the range. One guy even said that his was almost take 3-times (dang California laws). There is no way I could get an AR done for that price.

·
Registered
19,694 Posts
5.45X39 would be much cheaper to keep fed, and IIRC, has slightly better ballistics.
the 5.45 is a lower energy round than the 5.56, but it shines by not being so velocity dependent in its tumble mechanism, so it will do more damage further out.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thats true Chilli. I have read that a few people have gotten dirty looks from people at the range. One guy even said that his was almost take 3-times (dang California laws). There is no way I could get an AR done for that price.
Screw the Fudds.
If... If.... Let me say that again... If I still lived in SoKal, or was to move back (choking back vomit), I'd keep a printout of the laws with the sections making my rifle legal highlighted.
Still trying to convince friends/relatives in SD/LA to leave.

the 5.45 is a lower energy round than the 5.56, but it shines by not being so velocity dependent in its tumble mechanism, so it will do more damage further out.
I'm not real familiar with the 5.45, hence the caveat of, IIRC, which I didn't :oops:
Still, ammo is cheaper to buy as long as it keeps coming over by the shipload. And since it's a lil'nastier, all the better. :twisted:

When it comes to AKs, Saiga will always get my vote.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Screw the Fudds.
If... If.... Let me say that again... If I still lived in SoKal, or was to move back (choking back vomit), I'd keep a printout of the laws with the sections making my rifle legal highlighted.
Still trying to convince friends/relatives in SD/LA to leave.

I'm not real familiar with the 5.45, hence the caveat of, IIRC, which I didn't :oops:
Still, ammo is cheaper to buy as long as it keeps coming over by the shipload. And since it's a lil'nastier, all the better. :twisted:

When it comes to AKs, Saiga will always get my vote.
I keep telling my wife that we need to get out of Cali. I travel a bit for work and EVERYWHERE seems to be better than here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts