Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If you dont mind my asking, what is the aprox. cost of the conversion?

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
good write up per usual stu, for those that arent into 4x4s and jeeps, i have known and referenced stu's jeep page for years, probably 2004 or there about, and you will see his page referenced on TONS of jeep focused sites.

good job per usual.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If you dont mind my asking, what is the aprox. cost of the conversion?
Depending on how deep you want to go into the rabbit hole, $110'll get you a basic conversion if you do your own work.

After that, the sky is the limit. . .

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good write up per usual stu, for those that arent into 4x4s and jeeps, i have known and referenced stu's jeep page for years, probably 2004 or there about, and you will see his page referenced on TONS of jeep focused sites.

good job per usual.
Bill....thank you very much.
I always enjoy bumping into another Jeeper on one of the firearms forums. The two sure do seem to go together, Jeeps and guns.....gotta love the combo! ;)

Merry Christmas to you and yours and I hope you have a great 2009 too!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I dig the drill work. I might take the time tomorrow to vent my forearm. I think I'l go thinner and longer on the vents, and do 3. I love my Saiga. My biggest gripe is the tiny front swivel and the preception of forearm weakness (held on with one screw at the back and a thin steel rod at the front). I'll probably end up doing the handguard retainer route anyway, so no reason not to try out the forearm venting.

Thanks for posting your work!!!

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had the Saiga to the range twice now since the scope was mounted. I've had the mount on and off the rifle a number of times.
It seems to hold/regain its zero without any problems.
Can't say how it will be years from now, but for the time being, I'm satisfied with the mount.
Compared to some of comments I've seen in various scope mount threads, it would seem I made a good choice.
I'm working on some reloads now....factory (Wolf) ammo, while adequate, isn't all that spectacular. :)

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Saiga got a sling this past week. Having had good results with the Giles Tactical sling on my Benelli SuperNova, I opted to put one on the Saiga. I'll be trying it at the range tomorrow. I expect it to work as well on the Saiga as does the one on the Benelli.

Now....to wait for the AR-15 magazine adapter......:sad:.....one of these days.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
The Saiga got a sling this past week. Having had good results with the Giles Tactical sling on my Benelli SuperNova, I opted to put one on the Saiga. I'll be trying it at the range tomorrow. I expect it to work as well on the Saiga as does the one on the Benelli.

Now....to wait for the AR-15 magazine adapter......:sad:.....one of these days.
what mags are you using ?

I bought 13 of the plastic galil mags, just one tiny raised edge on the side. A fraction of a little raised rib, you just grind it flush. Take but a few seconds.

Galil 35 Round .223 Magazines*|*e-GunParts.com

used for $17.95 if you buy 5 of them, new $22 if you buy 5.

I got mine post election i bought 5 new (thats all they had for $15)

then a couple weeks later they had used for $11 or $12 so i bought 8 more.

35 rounds, plug and play, the used ones were nice, only one really appeared to actually be literally used, it had jewish carving/scratching of a name and a mountain on the side, one was dusty, the other 6 virtually mint. The other 6 obviously sat in a pouch or a warehouse or something.

10 mags at $17 is about as cheap as the mag adapter, but you now have 10 more mags. Seems the way to go if you ask me. Or buy 5 mags and save $100 over the price of the adapter and still have more mags.

I am just a mag whore/aspiring mag whore and horder. Since 13 isnt nearly as many as some guys on here have.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the mag adapter arrives, I'll be using some AR-15 mags I have sitting here. I have a batch of Brownell's I got a while ago and I have some Stoner magazines on back order from MidwayUSA.

Other than those, I have the Saiga factory mag. I've no wish to modify the receiver well at this time to accomodate non-Saiga mags as the AR-15 adapter will allow that without using having to do any bullet guide mods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts