Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the worst idea ever.
Ultimate Gun Safety Device- fast- easy- inexpensive

Sure is sounds good, but lets be honest someone breaks in at like 4am while I'm in a dead sleep am I really going to remember to cycle the gun 2 times. If you don't, and you have to pull the trigger, your gun fails.... Maybe your wife or someone else has to use the weapon and you told them but they forgot... odds are your wife wouldn't remember that anyways... and boom gun fails. The only use I could see would be to jam it up so your little child couldn't shoot him or her self... but lets face it the people that keep guns in reach of little kids aren't going to invest in a safety bullet. Even still get a gun lock... they are free from the gov.. and you will always remember to take it off if you need it.

Worst idea ever.

·
Administrator
22,462 Posts
I could just use a spent casing... just saying.. just saying..

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A spent round or a dumby round will not do what this does. A round just powered by a primer might. It disables the handgun when it is fired. No I don't think it is a good idea for a gun savy person. However it might have applications for someone that lives in an area that demands a gun safety device. Also this works in a revolver.

For me? No. I will just practice safe gun skills, as I want my SD gun ready at all times.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
In a revolver you can just leave one chamber empty. In a semi-auto you can just leave a mag inserted, but leave the gun unchambered. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
How ridiculus is this? Would never spend any money on something like this!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
how the heck is this thing still on the market? How do they sell enough to pay for a web site?

This works against so many gun safety rules:
1. treat a gun as loaded - well except it is ok to pull trigger if this thing is in there - so let's say someone loads up a mag, gets distracted before loading one of these. Then latter thinks they put one of these on top, so chambers a round thinking it is one of these. Boom
2. keep your finger off trigger until sights are on target and you are ready to shoot - well not with the miraculous safety bullet
3. point in a safe direction - well except when you want to remove the safety bullet, then you stuff a magic release rod down the barrel, which puts your hand and arm in front of muzzle. Then you tap it on nice shiny desk. I can just see somebody thinking one of these is in when they have a jam for some other reason. There they are looking down barrel to see why the miracle rod is not releasing.

And as others have said above, no way I want something in my HD or SD gun that locks it up if I forget it is in there. Goes against all training to cycle a round OUT before engaging a target.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
Bad idea, bad product.

Better to just lock up your guns and ammunition and teach your kids to NEVER handle a gun and find an adult if they find one.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Like the vast majority of you, I really, really don't understand the purpose of this product.

I'm very safety-conscious, mainly because I'd been taught that way - almost literally "beaten into me" :lol: like any good Southern kid was - but also in-part because I have a 5-year-old daughter.

I always use a gun-safe, with quick-access features so that I can keep my daughter out while still being able to access the firearm in time of need (yes, I know that I'm compromising precious seconds, but given my child-access concern, I simply cannot do any less), and educated my daughter on gun safety - as appropriate for her age/understanding. I've even gone so far as to keep the firearms in the safe in "Condition 3," when my daughter was younger.

Even as concerned as I am, I cannot think of any reason why you'd want to use a device like this.

Why not just keep the gun unloaded, and the ammo otherwise completely inaccessible?

·
Registered
786 Posts
More dumba*s as seen on TV junk

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think it is a great idea personally. IDK why you guys even keep your guns loaded. They work much better as a club. I don't even own bullets.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I bought a biometric safe for my bedroom SD weapon, and I put a TLR-2 on it. I know I am not going to remember a combo like I use for my touchpad safe in the living room, and I will never find my EDC light in the dark. This way I can simply put my finger on the safe, and it opens up. There is a little convenience light in the safe so I can clearly see the weapon, and the light/laser is already mounted on it.

In other words, I can not count on myself to get it right, in the middle of the night, in total darkness, so I have made it as easy as I can. Having to jack two inert rounds out of my .45 before I can use it...

...don't think so.

RJ

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'll pass, But if someone thinks it's a good idea for them personally, they should go for it. Whatever floats your boat. Remember not all gun owners are that smart nor are they good parents or responsible gun owners, and need all the help they can get. Know matter how stupid and unsafe the product is. Sure wouldn't want to forget it's in there and have the pistol jam so it became useless when I really needed it. If I felt having a loaded pistol was a problem, and it is a serious problem with some people who have children. I'd leave the mag and barrel empty and if a problem should arise I'd through the mag in and jack a round into the pipe.
It's certainly not the perfect situation but kids are quick, and a ounce of safety is better than a life time of heartache. The wife and I's bedroom was always off limits to the kids unless we invited them into the room. Our BR door was always closed and had a child safety lock on it when they were young.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.